Questions about domain transfer process

• Question
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: 7 days of inactivity

The recipient of a website I created a few years ago now wishes to design and manage a new site in their own right. A few weeks ago they has asked me to initiate the domain transfer steps so they can use it with their new host. I unlocked the domain, disabled privacy, etc. and sent them the authorization code when it came through. Then it all went quiet for a few weeks, until today. They have now emailed me to thank me for getting the ball rolling but admitted they haven't done anything with the auth. code yet as they're still adding content and aren't ready to do anything about the domain! They have asked if there's any deadline for use of the auth. code. Also, I'm a bit concerned that leaving the domain unlocked for a prolonged period poses risks. Can anyone advise? (I won't be closing down the old website until they've transferred the domain).
Photo of KarenM

KarenM

• 880 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

• 11,828 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hello,

The authorization code does not have an expiration date allowing the customer to initiate the transfer at their convenience. I do understand the concern about the unlocked domain. You can lock it until they are ready to transfer but the domain must be unlocked again prior to initiating the transfer and providing the authorization code. 
Photo of KarenM

KarenM

• 880 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Thanks for your reply, Michelle. I have put this back to them. x
Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

Perfect! You're welcome.
Photo of Robin3678

Robin3678

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Move email address to new host
Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

Hello Robin,

Did you need some help with moving email to a new host? 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.