Price increase: I would rather have a choice about additional " bells and whistles"

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

Homestead is forcing  features on me I don't want and charging me.  An ala carte approach so I can  keep a barebones  site would be better for me. 
Photo of Robert9513

Robert9513

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of martin0001

martin0001

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I agree, if I cannot migrate my current website to the new format with the "extras" that I have been living without to date, why would I get charged the additional amount. I am not going to go through the process of re-inventing the company's website just so I can get charged an additional $2 a month.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I am sorry, but once the new builder is integrated, all new sites will be made with it. Any existing sites from Sitebuilder desktop or Plus can still be edited using those programs.
Photo of Jim0047

Jim0047

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
PLEASE confirm one more time for me just to be clear:  I CAN KEEP MY OLD SITE EXACTLY AS IT IS...  oh and you'll charge me $2.00 a month for that.
Photo of Jim0047

Jim0047

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Also, i so don't want or need a mobile responsive site.  nor do my customers for whom i build sites.  85 % of traffic of any reasonable duration is from Desktop, not mobile.   looks like it's time to leave Homestead for any future/new sites.  people "browse" maybe on mobile, but for any serious web interaction, they still use desktop and ALL research except that put out by the mobile industry, supports this.  bummer for Homestead.
Photo of Dave8891

Dave8891

• 234 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm with you Jim. I don't need these new features and I don'y need to be paying an extra $2 each month for functionality I don't need!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You can keep your old site as is.

Your site may not need the responsive design and that is fine, but most people do, and search engines do also have ranking adjustments for sites that are not mobile. It is expected that mobile will only become more important as we move forward.
Photo of martin0001

martin0001

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Agreed, my customer base is a very market specific group. They only look at our site because, for some reason, they equate having a website with being a legitimate business. How about this, take the $2.00 a month from people like me that will not ever use or change what I already have and apply it to Search Engine Optimization for me.
Photo of mary6684

mary6684

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm with the others here. It would be nice if there could be an option for a simple site for those of us who need just that. If there really are a lot of people who want all of these other features, they could purchase the Premium site. (This is not unheard of - WordPress does this.) I was drawn here as part of a promotion for small business owners - and the very small business does not like to see prices keep going up!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Nobody ever wants to see prices go up, but costs go up overtime and so must prices. We have been fortunate that we usually change pricing every few years and not more often.
Photo of mary6684

mary6684

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This is true. However, I think it is also important that the message be heard that some small business owners really prefer a simple product at a lower cost. For example, with my type of business, people are likely to only look at my website once and then only if they are looking for the specialized service that I provide. I think a portion of your clientele here (including me) is trying to tell you that your costs don't have to go up with us because we are not asking you for more. If you keep providing a "more" that we don't need, you may price yourself out of our market.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

mary6684, I understand and if possible we would not raise prices, but the cost of hardware, networking and everything else involved in hosting goes up. Unfortunately, prices can't stay the same forever. I am sorry.
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

• 32,264 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
All, I have been with Homestead for 16 years ( back when it was FREE) and I admit, at first reading, I raised an eyebrow, not so much the $2 a month ( would just about by a small bar of chocolate here in the UK) but I have a very large website, built with Desktop for an RAF Squadron that has taken the past 16 years of my life to keep up to date. And my own Company website, built on sitebuilder plus. Recreating the RAF website would be impossible  BUT, and this is the important bit. Drew has confirmed Any existing sites from Sitebuilder desktop or Plus can still be edited using those programs. so,I am happy with what I have, I have no need to upgrade to a new version so everything stays as it was..... if you dont want to upgrade then dont! its as simple as that. PAnic over folks, back to the website.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.