Our stats/analytics have been over run with semalt and buttons-for-website bots. How can we place filters to block these bots/webcrawlers?

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution or has become inactive.  If you believe this topic should not have been archived, please let us know, and we would be happy to review it.  You may continue to access this topic as needed fo

Our analytics has been over run with semalt and buttons-for-website bots. How can we place filters to block these bots / webcrawlers? Big problem.
Photo of kim5791

kim5791

• 306 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of kim5791

kim5791

I did set up a google analytics account and placed the code into head tags on each page of my website.  Within google analytics i "excluded" semalt.com and buttons-for-website.com.  Shall see if we get results.
(Edited)
Photo of William S

William S

• 18,878 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Excluding them from within Google analytics would be your best bet. Unfortunately there wouldn't be a way for us to block the web crawlers from our side. We can by using the robots.txt file, but this would block ALL web crawlers including the good ones. 
Photo of kim5791

kim5791

William, I would hope that certainly Homestead could add exclusions as they become known without much initiative.  I would guess that more and more of your customers are getting hit with these and when our search results are compromised, it is much more of a business problem than just an inability to add multiple photos at one time, right?  Is someone on this?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.