Organizing pages and files in a hierarchy

• Idea
  • Updated 5 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution or has become inactive.  If you believe this topic should not have been archived, please let us know, and we would be happy to review it.  You may continue to access this topic as needed fo

Other than for a very limited size site, it is always best to use good file management.  Good file management sets your page (or files) up so that you can access them without having to scroll through a long list of names for files.  You can organize them by a master subject or category description and then a subcategory section under that and then stick the file in the subcategory.  

This is file organization 101.  

Notice that you cannot do that using Sitebuilder Plus, but you can do it in the desktop sitebuilder. 

Be careful however of using both bits of software as there are some coordinating problems.  

If you are going to have, say, over 20 files, use the desktop sitebuilder.  If you are over 50 pages (files), I would say to definitely use the desktop!!!!  An example of how to do a hierarchy of files is under Computer Organization System Outline on my site TheLifeManagementAlliance.com.

Good luck on having an easier to use site for organization, easier posting, and easier access.
Photo of Keith7184

Keith7184

• 590 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

• 43,192 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Good ideas Keith - wish I had started organizing at the start. Hindsight! I would caution anyone who does make changes to remember that if you move a folder or file you are breaking the path to it. In the event you have links to that folder or file you will need to relink to its new location.
Not sure what you mean by not being able to build a hierarchy in Plus - I have clients who are on Plus and I've had no problem developing a hierarchy for their folders and files.

Happy webbing!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Good stuff folks, except for 1 thing Keith. Sitebuilder Plus does have a file manager that will allow creating nested folders for organization.

You will want to use Firefox or Chrome to be able to drag files from folder to folder. You can also use import to tag multiple images, for example, and have them upload in a batch, while you are doing something else.

Drew
Photo of Keith7184

Keith7184

How do you do that in Sitebuilder Plus?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

The file manager is located by clicking on your domain name in the top right. Once there you can create folders and drag and drop files into the various folders. Firefox is the best browser for this, but Chrome should work too. If you want to import images, first create the folder you want to add the images to, then import when you have the folder highlighted. Navigate the pop up window to the folder on your computer and select multiple files to upload. You can't select a whole folder, but you can tag all the files within the folder.

Drew
Photo of Keith7184

Keith7184

Thank you, kind sir!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Anytime!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.