Once again, it is 9 am on the East Coast and Site Builder is non-functional...

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

Site Builder not functioning yet again.....
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

• 1,050 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,636 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I have no other reports of Sitebuilder issues, and your site has loaded with no trouble for me. Can you explain what is happening? Where does it get stuck?
Photo of Audrey1969

Audrey1969

• 1,802 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I am still having trouble loading anything on my site. It has been like this for two days now. Please help.
Photo of Audrey1969

Audrey1969

• 1,802 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Please would someone look at my site And solve the problem I have. It loads very slowly. It stops and updates files for up to 20 minutes, I have managed to upload one photo in two days. I have the OOps page , it is reluctant to delete files. In short, the site is non functional. As I live in UK, I cannot solve my problem by phone. There must be some means of getting it sorted
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Audrey1969, are you still having trouble this morning? Your site loaded right up for me. I am inquiring as to any alerts over the weekend.
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

It is now responding, but very very slowly.  15-30 second response rate between clicks and was unable to publish.  Also, I have a fairly fast connection and have refreshed my temp internet files.  This is an ongoing problem for me.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Ok, I am not seeing any other complaints, but am looking into this. I did just check and all your pages and files show as published. Did you make any changes you are not seeing live?
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

I finally got it published, but with great difficulty.  I am a business user and my ongoing problems with SiteBuilder Plus have got me looking for an alternative host.  I only recently started using the Community out of frustration and lack of support elsewhere. I often cannot use SiteBuilder until noon or later EST or until the application it is recycled for the day.
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

• 63,180 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You are using sitebuilder desktop? Not SB+?
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

I am using SiteBuilder Plus
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

I've not had many problems publishing using SB+.
If you're having problems, you should express them using the community. We all help each other and someone can be available nite and day. Using a DIY website builder program puts the performance on you. Homestead staff is constantly review our problems and responding accordingly during business hours.
HELP?
Hours of Operation for Live Support
Sales: 1-800-986-0958 (Support can also be contacted via this number)
Support: 1-800-710-1998
Mon-Fri: 6:00am - 5:00pm MST(No DST)
Sat-Sun: Closed
Our Community: We're here to help each other 24/7
Homestead Techs available Mon - Fri
Community Members - Available 24x7
What kind of difficulty did you have with publishing?
(Edited)
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

I'm very dissatisfied with SiteBuilder Plus and have been fighting with it for almost a decade. It is slow and very clunky and will move to another platform as soon as I can work it out. Thanks.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I am sorry you are not happy with it. Have you tried our new Websitebuilder? It is completely different and has loads of features. Unfortunately, we can't convert old sites because of the vast differences, but it will provide a really nice site. Below is a link to our site spotlight. We will be getting sites like these into our newsletter to show what people are doing and discuss them.

https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/site-spotlight-http-www-morahanbrothers-com
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

I'll take a look, but the thought of having to rebuild all my pages and add the hundreds of photos is daunting, to say the least....
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I do understand that. It is an option, just create a new site and you will be using it. There will be a learning curve, but there will be a learning curve and the need to rebuild your site from scratch if you choose to move your service. I hope you'll try it, and we are here if you have any questions.
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

I appreciate your assistance.
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

Drew:
Could there be some sort of daily system maintenance that isn't being done often enough (or early enough)?  Most of my difficulties seem to occur early in the day and on weekends and holidays. It almost seems like a daily recycling routine isn't getting done frequently enough, at least for those of us in eastern time zones.  Typically, my problems tend to lessen around noon or 1:00 pm on weekdays. Just a thought....
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Servers should never require daily attention. One thing is for sure, we never do maintenance on the weekends. They do have monitors to alert our engineers when activity is outside the normal expectations. There are some maintenance windows we have, and you would notice some slowness during those windows, but they are not daily. Usually 3-4 weeks between those. Is it every morning you notice it? I understand you have a good connection, but things can happen along the way too. It is possible that there is a routing issue between you and our servers for some reason that causes a delay. I'll do some more looking and consult some more with the engineers. I am also going to look into the log files and see if there are any errors showing your account.

Let me ask, you have nearly 500mb on your site. This is not our largest site, but it is a good size. Do you still have all those files on pages? If not, it might help some to delete a few large files to clear some space.
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

Site Builder Plus working incredibly slow today.  Anyone else encountering problems?????
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I have not received any other reports today and the servers show no alerts. Everything looks good on our end. I will keep an eye out. Your site is larger than most, so it will be slower than most, and it would be affected by an issue before most, but the monitoring teams are watching for any signs.
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

Thank you....
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

I just added a mew page and it took forever.  Business as usual unfortunately.....
Photo of Stephen5752

Stephen5752

• 356 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Sitebuilder plus is stuck at this point. "Verifying that all your files are up to date."
Do I need to do anything other than wait, wait, and wait for it to start working again?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Stephen5752, which site? I do not see an issue from our end. I can take a look for you.
Photo of Stephen5752

Stephen5752

• 356 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Drew
It was a Chrome issue.
I switched to Safari and was able to update my sites.

Thank you for reaching out.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Great! That is interesting. Normally Chrome is the most reliable.
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

Receiving error messages every time I try to log onto SiteBuilder Plus and it won't let me move between pages.
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

Error Code 0x28 on startup of SiteBuilder Plus
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

What's the error message? Obviously, you're able to logon. You're wanting to change pages? Are you selecting the page from you page list?
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

I log onto SiteBuilder Plus and get error message 0x28.  It lets me modify one page only and will not allow me into any other page unless I log off and then back onto SiteBuilder Plus and the cycle repeats....
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

We have seen an error 0x28 today on some accounts. Is that the one? In each case, I have been able to hit ok and continue editing. I was able to change pages and everything on your site. What behavior are you seeing?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I will relay this to the developers.
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

Just received a new HTML 5 update screen.  Never seen it before. Behind it was the 0x28 error message.
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

SiteBuilder Plus is more of a nightmare than usual this weekend.....as if that were possible....
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

"Page Unresponsive", "Page Unresponsive."  I wish I had a nickel for every time I get this error message. 
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

I cannot load photos via SiteBuilder Plus.  Saving or Publishing doesn't work either. I am effectively out of business until these problems are resolved.  Not goood.
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

Someone just threw a "switch" of some sort and things are moving again. There are still many problems, but at least I can work.  Whatever was done needs to be done very early each day.
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

I spoke too soon.  Back again to the "Page Unresponsive" cycle.....
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

The photo "Position and Size" functions are not working properly also.  Inserted photos don't come into the page with their dimensions posted and have to be sized manually and changes don't respond properly.
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

I finally finished adding one page and associated changes to my website.  The entire process took over one hour, but should have taken less than 20 minutes.  The difference was attributable solely to problems with SiteBuilder Plus.......Very frustrating, particularly since I pay for this "service."
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

And yet again, I spoke too soon.  A good portion of the changes I made were not saved or published even though SiteBuilder Plus indicated they had been saved and published (a process which is taking far too long by the way). I will now have to redo those changes.....
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

In my prior career, somebody would be looking for a new job for functionality (or lack thereof) like this....
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

Final tally (I hope), over two hours to make relatively simple changes to my business web site, changes that with a properly functioning interface should have take about 20 minutes.  What a fiasco....
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Charles6535, are you still having trouble this morning? Your site loaded right up for me. I am inquiring as to any alerts over the weekend.
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

Loading the site generally isn't the problem, but doing anything of substance (adding a page, adding a photo, saving or publishing) once on the page is another matter altogether.  Let me try.....
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

Still getting the initial 0x28 error message and the photo dimension issue remains.
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

• 63,202 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Are you using a computer for editing? What's your website address?
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

www.capitalguitarsonline.com and yes, using a computer for editing.  Seems ok, but I don't have any heavy duty work to do right NOW.

Where was our support all weekend and between 9 and Noon today???  I run a business not a hobby website!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

It has been a few years since we have had weekend support, however, while customer service agents are not on staff, engineering teams are monitoring the servers and will be alerted to performance issues and can act on them. I am inquiring as to if there were alerts or not, and what may have happened if they were not detected. We are actively investigating this now.
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

Having trouble loading photos. Because of the sizing issue I suspect. After you manually size the photo and then you click off the photo, it disappears.  A frigging nightmare...
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

You can use an ap, like lunapic or paint, to size and name your image as jpg, gif, or png etc. Upload the image, save and publish.
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

I use PhotoShop, but I don't think you understand the nature of my problem.  SiteBuilder Plus is screwed....
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

The problem seems to be when you try to modify a photo outside of it's original proportions.  
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

If you change it, you may want to select "optimize" from you image settings menu.
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

I'm starting to get negative comments from customers about the functionality of my website.
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

Tried the "optimize" function and the image still disappeared when I clicked off it.
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

Added or edited photos are defaulting to background mode making them appear to disappear. Thanks to whoever mentioned priority!  Still an operational problem, however.  Also, still getting 0x28 error....
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Can you post an image you are using here, and give me your step by step activity and what you see? This way I can duplicate exactly what you are doing and see if I see the same behavior. If I can see it, then I can show the developers and they should be able to explain/fix it.
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

Take any image from my website's photo library.

I load the photo to the page (Inventory).  It comes in large, but with no sizes posted to the image parameters.  I then have to manually scale the image down to my standard size (horizontal width of 210 pixels).  Once I start to resize the image, size info starts to appear in the photo length and width parameter boxes which I can then adjust.  Once I get the photo to the size and spot on the page I want and I click off of it, it disappears (into the background I assume) at which point I get to start all over again.  The name of the photo I was having all the difficulty with is: 

Martin OMC-28M Laurence Juber Custom Sig Ed Main3

I cannot attach the original because it is too large for this email app.  (What a surprise).  Which brings me to another issue with your application:  It effectively forces you to reduce photos to a size which is not good for sales purposes.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Is this still happening now. We were able to apply a patch last night that fixed these nagging issues. I just followed your steps with that image and was able to enter the position and size numbers and click off it and the image stayed where put.

The mail system should take up to a 20 MB attachment. How large are your files? Larger than that I would suggest using a free cloud storage like Dropbox. You upload the file and then share it to a specific email address for download.
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

SiteBuilder Plus will accept my larger photos, but discourages me from using them without downsizing and my site becomes intolerably slow if I use them in their original size.  They are pitifully small when reduced by SiteBuilder.  
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

Things seem to me working much better. Thanks!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

So a couple of possible tricks here. The optimize button shrinks the image to an optimal size for how big the box is, so if you add the full size image and then size the box as desired, then hit optimize it should size it to your desired size. The other option would be to use some image editing software to resize the images before uploading. I use a free one called Faststone Photo resizer. You can tell it to resize entire folders or multiple folders to a selected size. Then upload that image if it is acceptable.
I am glad things are working better now.
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

Current issue: make a couple minor changes and click "Publish."  Sits and spins endlessly in either "Saving" or "Publishing" but never gets to the end of the process....
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

Finally published after two tries and a wait of about 7 minutes.....
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

It is 10:17 am on the east coast and SiteBuilder Plus is moving like a glacier.. 
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

Have you tried using a different computer and a different router? Do you have Comcast high speed internet?
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

Same computer, same fast Fios connection.
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

Have you tried rebooting the router?
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

My connectivity is fine. It’s SiteBuilder Plus for heaven sake.....
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

Another scary problem; all of my page files (xpf's) are showing as "unpublished" in File Manager, even though I have published them.....
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

I've used SB+ for many years without experiencing problems like yours.
Have you tried publishing the files through the file manager?
(Edited)
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

And I've been struggling with it for nearly a decade.....
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

I've been following your case. Your problems must revolve around you content. I had a 20 page site without experiencing problems you're having. I switched for SB to SB+ and it was a dream come true. Maybe you should try the websitebuilder program?
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

If I were to decide to undertake the onerous job of completely rebuilding my website, I would definitely avail myself of a completely different host than Homestead....This has been a nightmare.
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

I've rebuilt sites before and it's worth the effort.
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

50 pages, 1,000 photos? Kudos....
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

That is an achievement. Is it a business site or ecommerce site?
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

Ecommerce
Photo of Les6064

Les6064

• 8,402 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Have you talked to someone at Homestead I'm sure they can help.
It seems the you keep posting the same message without any success, that's what the people at Homestead are there for to help with a problem. Hours are Monday thru Friday 9:00 to 5:00 1-800-710-1998.
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

Until I’m blue in the face....
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

You are using a Simple Store? Bigcommerce is a great solution. It's set up for ecommerce! I switched a couple of years ago and am extremely happy. Check out my site: www.napasewandvac.com. Some great options that are easy to implement: http://napasewandvac.com/miele-vacuum-cleaners/miele-homecare-vacuum-cleaners/.
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

Doesn’t have the feel that my pricey stock requires.
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

They have many templates and any site can be customized. The sites are also responsive and can be accessed by any phone or pad.
(Edited)
Photo of Charles6535

Charles6535

Very, very slow tonight.....
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I am sorry. I do still have the development team looking at this. Also or systems team. I do let them know when you are having an issue so they can look at logs for that time.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.