Not Happy at All with Site Builder Plus

• Problem
  • Updated 7 years ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived

This conversation was archived and is no longer visible to community members.

OK, Here Goes,
I have been with Homestead for 9+ years and have not had a problem except for the first 2 growing years and boy did we have glitches. This is the first time I have a real complaint. I have been designing sites part time for over 6 years. I have V1LPX and it works GREAT. Now I pick up a new client and I run into this nightmare of Site Builder Plus and boy is it a nightmare. It has taken me twice as long to build this site in Plus as in V1. At this pace I cannot make any money for my time. Is their some way we can by pass this Plus and I can use your old editor. Too many glitches and we lost half our goddies that you have in V1. I designed a site for a new client www.michaelbretts.com and it has taken me twice as long to build it. I have 5 more rock bands that want sites but it just takes too long. I lose clients and you lose new clients. Its a lose lose situation.
I cannot even get my index page to open and edit in Plus. The site and client I am referring to www.michaelbretts.com
I really need your help.
Photo of Adam9426

Adam9426

• 264 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

• 39,954 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Adam9426,

Welcome to the community!

The newer templates are only compatible with Sitebuilder Plus (online), not the dekstop (downloaded) version.

Also, the majority of the templates for sitebuilder dekstop are no longer available, there's only 30 or templates available now.

If that won't be an issue for you, I can look into changing the editors over to desktop - However, you may need to restart the sites because if you've chosen a template while using sitebuilder plus, you won't be able to open it in desktop.

I noticed your account has access to sitebuilder dekstop, will you be building and hosting the sites under your account or will these be separate accounts?

I look forward to your response, thanks!

Ehsan
Photo of Adam9426

Adam9426

• 264 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hello Ehsan
Thanks for the response. As I said before I have been with homestead for over 9 years and I DO NOT want anything to do with Intuit or site builder plus. It is a disaster. I do not in most instanses do not use a template, I use a blank set up and build it from scratch.

Let me explain my position. I totally enjoy building with the desk top manager. You asked me a question about hosting site and seperate account. When I get a client to sign up with homestead, it is usually a seperate account. The just give me their url, sign in and password or I do it for them. Most of the time I get them to sign up with homestead and they use our hosting. If not I design and use pointing to their hosting. But all my work over the past years I have designed with homestead. YES, they will be seperate accounts.

I know the homestead has been sold and I hope they have enough brains to stay with desktop builder and only enhance on it. I have used a ton of builders over the years and I keep coming back to Homestead. You are the best!! I will be waiting for your response. DO NO do anything until I agree.

The most current site that is on Site Builder Plus is www.michaelbretts.com and yes it is hosted by Homestead or Plus and yes it is a sperate account. I have 5 more rock bands waiting for their sites and I refuse to build them in Plus. Too much time wasted. If I have to go to another builder, I will but we all lose. It is a lose lose situation.

Thanks Adam
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Adam,

Going forward, I would suggest that once your client has created their account, to verify that they have the desktop version. If not, you can post here (using their account) and we should be able to change it to access sitebuilder desktop.

Thank you,
Ehsan
Photo of Martin

Martin

• 6,232 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Back to the top...

I am sick of it.... Homestead or whoever now owns the service?

I have spent all day trying to build one simple page on Sitebuilder Desktop. Something that would have taken minutes just a few months ago.

I have tried all the alleged "fixes" found here on this forum to no avail.

I will go far and wide to let the world know just how worthless "Homestead" websites are if something is not done soon.

Is there a president of the company? Someone at the TOP needs to be made aware of the situation we have going on here.
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Martin,

What issues are you running into with Sitebuilder Plus that aren't allowing you to work on your site(s)?

I see that you still have access to the desktop version as well, do you still use that or have you been using Plus only?

We're aware of bugs that Sitebuilder Plus has and our dev team is working on fixing them as quickly as possible.

I look forward to your response, thanks!

Ehsan
Photo of Martin

Martin

• 6,232 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Surely you jest? A number one. None of my machines will work with SITEBUILDER DESKTOP. They continuously lock up. This never happend up until a few months ago.

This from a good friend of mine's private forum, need we say more? The service we are paying for is horrible!

From Homestead Connection:

1. The canned footer that is an advertisement for Intuit on sites WE pay for and done without our permission is even more obnoxious and harder to get rid of than the one on the desktop version. I inquired if there was a way to universally eliminate it and was given a post address to view. Fine and dandy except that the SiteBuilder Plus my client has in no way resembles the example given and so I am forced to go through over 100 pages and manually delete the stinking thing. I receive emails all the time from SiteBuilder users, many of whom have been put on Plus not knowing there is an alternative. Since that footer is invisible until the page is published most of these folks have no idea it's even there and when they do see it just assume it's something that has to remain on the site. Which of course is what Intuit is counting on.

2. Once you publish a page in Plus you get this annoying pop up, which if you are only publishing a page or two is obnoxious, but doesn't get you to the point of screaming every time it shows up as it does when you are publishing lots of pages.

3. No color history - they eliminated the color history so if you use any colors outside of the standard ones you either have to have a very good memory or keep a list of the hex numbers for the colors you are using on the site.

4. In desktop SiteBuilder (hereafter referred to as DT-SB) we can have multiple pages open and view them easily by just clicking on the tabs - this is handy if you are copying and pasting something or working back and forth between pages, etc. In Plus you can only have one page available at a time. I'm back and forth a lot between pages and not being able to quickly view the pages is both a time waster and a notch on the frustration meter.

5. One of the things I really appreciate about DT-SB is the ability to look in the File Manager and see what has been published. Working on multiple pages at a time I don't usually publish until all the changes are made or the tweaks are complete. Plus offers no such thing. You are reduced to having to remember what you need to go back and publish, publish when you aren't really ready for the page to be out there, check the pages in the browser to see if you did publish, ad nauseum.

6. Along with the above is the ability in DT-SB to again go into File Manager and choose multiple pages to publish. Suppose you've made changes on half a dozen pages, you're done and ready to publish. Go into File Manager, select the ones you want and publish. Plus does not offer that option. You can either publish the whole site which isn't an option in my opinion because there are often images and test pages and half started pages that you don't want published so you end up publishing page by page.

7. It's slow - not much more you can say really.

8. This is my favorite! THERE IS NO FREAKING SPELL CHECK. Who designs a program without spell check? Chimpanzees would be bright enough to include that so who in the world is Intuit hiring to do their programming? Here's a good post about the elimination of spell check - be sure to read all the comments as it gives you some real insight into the company rhetoric that Intuit has their minions handing out. And also shows you just how stupid Intuit must think we all are. I resent that ... a lot.

I'm sure I'll be able to add to the list the more I use this thing. Would love to hear your thoughts!
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the detailed response -

1. The footer is removable in both Desktop (downloaded) and Plus (online). If a user is the Master Page feature in Sitebuilder Plus, they can remove the footer once from the master page and it will remove it from all other pages. Otherwise, you're correct, it will need to be removed from each individual page like it does in Sitebuilder Desktop.
Here's a post for editing the footer in Sitebuilder Plus (uncheck check boxes to remove footer)How do I change the copyright footer on my website design?

2. The sharing feature is meant to allow you to share your latest updates on your social networks - With that being said, I completely understand how it can become redundant if you're editing one or a few pages and publishing several times to check your work etc. That is a great suggestion in my opinion (to have it not show if publishing multiple times) and has been suggested, however, I'm not sure if/when this will be take care of.

3/4. Great suggestions - I'll be sure to create an 'Idea' for our dev team.

5. You can view your File Manager in Sitebuilder Plus by clicking on your site name (or domain name) at the top of the page > View File Manager.
If you scroll to the right, you'll see the same yellow icon with the word Publish for any unpublished content (and teh green check if it is published).

6. You can multi-select the pages you'd like to publish by clicking on your site name (or domain name) at the top > View File Manager.
Hold the Ctrl key on your keyboard as you left click the different pages or files you'd like to publish
*If you click the title of the column ("type" for example) it will organize the files by type etc

7. Outside of the internet connection, other programs running at the same time and general speed of the computer, it can seem faster or slower for different users.
*Clearing cache and closing out all other programs can sometimes help speed it up a bit

8. Firefox and IE10 both automatically check spelling which is why a designated spell check feature was not included in Sitebuilder Plus (because it's browser based).

I hope this info helps, thank you.

Ehsan
Photo of kjhuggard2459

kjhuggard2459

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I couldn't agree more with Adam and Martin, this new format totally sucks.
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi kjhuggard2459,

Please see my response to your other post.

Thank you,
Ehsan
Photo of Gordon5389

Gordon5389

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am not sure what the motive is for taking away of ability to work within the site to build your own site. The only thing I can think of is that those running the show don't understand. As soon as there is a site that offers greater flexibility I am out of here to there. The older system gave me a lot more tools to work with and I was very enthusiastic about site-builder. Mark my word if Intuit continues down the path it is going it will be its demise. I have been with you for some time and I am growing very sick and tired of the difficulty, less flexibility the site not staying current with the changing systems. It takes me forever to get out of my webpages what I want.
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Gordon5389,

I'm sorry for your frustrations -

The majority of the tools are still available within Sitebuilder plus, the only ones that aren't there are ones that have become outdated; same goes for templates, some of the older templates which have become outdated are no longer available.

If there are any specific issues you're running into, please let me know so I can try to help or add it as an idea for our Dev team to look into.

Thank you,
Ehsan
Photo of Armando8568

Armando8568

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I agree this HS plus SUCKS, not happy!
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Armando8568,

I understand you and other users are finding Sitebuilder Plus not as user friendly or that its lacking features etc.

To help us improve it, please provide ideas (feature requests) or feedback on issues you're running into that so that we can work on improving it.

Thank you,
Ehsan
Photo of airsparrow

airsparrow

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Sightbuilder Plus is a disaster. I've wasted days. Despite my best efforts, I cannot get the desktop sightbuilder to even download and install (yes...I have taken all suggestions, to no avail.)

Sightbuilder Plus isn't working today. I cannot make any changes (after saving and publishing) The elements simply do not show up where they are in the visual builder screen. Three days ago, this was not the case.

I've been w/ homestead since 2006 I think. SiteBuilder Plus is a total disaster. I need the desktop builder to actually work. If I can't get it to, I'm off to their competition. It's ridiculous. So pissed !
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Julie,

I'm really sorry for your frustrations and will do my best to help get the software installed.

I see you have quite a few sites, is all of the work currently published or do you have any changes/updates that aren't published yet?

Also, it sounds like you might have a new computer, since you're trying to install the software. Which operating system are you currently using?

Thanks,
Ehsan
Photo of airsparrow

airsparrow

Hi Ehsan,

All changes are published already. My laptop is 2.5 years old. I used to use a desktop w/ the builder. That computer died.

I'm running windows 7 home premium x64. I've tried all the instructions I could find from prior posts and links therein.

Got any ideas ?

Thanks,
Julie
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Julie,

Sorry for the delay -

Please try uninstalling the current version of Sitebuidler (if it's still installed on your new computer) and use this link to download/install it:

Homestead Sitebuilder, Windows 7

Please let me know if this works or not for you. If not, are you receiving any error messages or what all happens when you try to install or launch the program?

Thanks!

Ehsan
Photo of airsparrow

airsparrow

Hi Ehsan,

I don't have a current version of the desktop Sitebuilder on this computer. I've never been able to get it installed. I get "Internet query failed on proxy detection."

I've read and followed each and every step and suggestion offered, including the page linked that has all the steps listed here: http://internetqueryoption.homestead....

Several days later, I tried again, making sure to follow each step carefully...same result.

I still get the internet query option failed on proxy detection...followed by hkinstaller.exe has stopped working. Then it gives me the option to close the program or look online for a solution. In the "view problems" section of that box, it states APP CRASH, HKinstaller...

Never had a problem installing any program on this computer. I run windows 7 x64 premium.

Thanks,
julie
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Julie,

Thanks for the detailed info -

If Sitebuilder shows up as an installed program, please uninstall it and try the following:

1. Install Microsoft Visual J#
-- Right Click > Properties > Compatibility (tab) > Check the Compatibility checkbox, select XP (service pack 3) > Click ok

--Right Click > Run as Administrator > Install it

2. Download Sitebuilder install file: Homestead Sitebuidler,Win 7 x64

-- Right click HKinstaller.exe > Properties > Compatibility > Run as Win XP (same as previous step)

-- Right click > Run as Administrator

*Lastly, if you do not have .NET 2.0 Framework installed, please install that as well.

Please let me know if this works for you or not, thank you.

Ehsan
Photo of airsparrow

airsparrow

Ehsan,

I followed your instructions, and finally got it installed...Thank you!

I did have to uninstall .NET 2.0 and reinstall that, then it finally worked.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi airsparrow,

Awesome!.. Glad you're up and running, and I'm really sorry it took so long.

Please let me know if you run into any other issues, thanks!

Ehsan
Photo of Esau2657

Esau2657

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I am frustrated, disgusted and angry. This is the worst editor I've ever tried to use. Writing code from scratch is easier and more dependable. Thanks for nothing.
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Esau2657,

I'm really sorry for your frustrations -

Our dev team receives all of the feedback provided here in the community and they take into account what you and other users say.

It'd be helpful if you can provide specifics on what isn't working or what features are not available that you'd like to see added in the future.

Thank you,
Ehsan
Photo of carla1m5159

carla1m5159

• 72 Points
I am new at website building but it is nice to see that the fact that building my site has taken so much time and I can't get it to work the way I want it doesn't seem to be uncommon. I thought it was just me.
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi carla1m5159,

I'm really sorry to hear of your frustrations -

Is there anything specific I can help with? Feel free to search the community for FAQ's and post any questions you might have.

Thanks,
Ehsan
Photo of Dan2539

Dan2539

• 422 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I have to add my voice to those dissatisfied with Sitebuilder Plus. This thing is horrible. It's slow and unresponsive. I've been with Homestead for 10 years and have never had so much trouble working on my site. Everything takes 10 times longer. Time to change to a different provider if Homestead isn't going to fix this. I've been in contact with them twice and both times they suggested it was my machine. What a waste of time because they don't want to bother fixing this piece of crap!