no longer use .homestead in url

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

hello, I started sitebuilder for cureculture.org under the homestead url (.homestead.com) I have had the site for longer than 60 days, and my DNSservers are already pointing in the right direction. But homestead.com has "HELD" cureculture.homestead.com as the main address. I no longer want this address, I want to access my site with cureculture.org

thank you
Photo of Kevin8567

Kevin8567

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Matt B.

Matt B.

• 1,434 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi Kevin8567,

The .homestead.com address is just a sitename in our system that all of the files are saved to. When you point your domain name to us, you are simply telling the internet that you would like the domain name to pull up the files at that sitename location on our servers. Once your domain pointing fully propagates, your website will be accessed only from the domain name cureculture.org. It is already working for me, but full propagation is 24-48 hours. Give it that long to fully propagate, and you will begin to be able to pull up your website using the domain name, instead of the sitename.

Matt
Photo of Janice7159

Janice7159

• 232 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Matt, I have the same problem only it has been nearly a year (in June). I really need the homestead taken out as my client is not happy. I have paid for their .com name. Can you help? It is www.vicksquail.com
Thanks in advance, Jan
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hello Janice7159, vicksquail.com does not appear to be a registered domain name. Do you want to register it? The homestead name you are seeing is just a free subdomain that comes with every account. You don't have to use it.

Mike
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Janice7159, that domain is working fine. You'll just want to be sure and share your registered domain with your customers instead of the vicks.homestead.com subdomain. Nobody will see the subdomain unless you've been giving it out to others.
Photo of Janice7159

Janice7159

• 232 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
When I do a google search it comes up with the homestead in the url. Is it because they have not crawled it again? If so can you give me
a recommendation that might help me to have them crawl the site again? thanks in advance Jan
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

I would recommend creating a sitemap, and then resubmitting it to Google so they crawl the correct pages/urls.

Create Sitemap: https://community.homestead.com/homes...

Submit to Google: https://community.homestead.com/homes...

Mike

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.