New Website Builder

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

Created a basic (very basic) one-page site in the new Website Builder. Although I noticed a couple things like the image scroll seems to scroll in the opposite direction...maybe something I did wrong. I also could not locate where to place HTML Code in the Body (for an analysis script we use). I place it in the head and it worked but provided an 'odd URL' in the logs (currently removed).

But most important, I have set the 'mobile access' to deliver the Desktop Version but it is cutting pictures etc (while using Chrome on Android tablet) - looked alright in FF on Android tablet but very slow loading.

Most importantly is the delivery of Desktop Version to mobile devices (the android tablet showed no difference in display even though I viewed it after saving/publishing both settings?
http://k1100rs.homesteadcloud.com/

Any input would be helpful
Photo of S

S

• 6,760 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

• 32,264 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
WHAT a BEAUTIFUL bike... Sigh... rode motorcycles for years, its hard to explain to anyone who hasn't, the feeling of "freedom".. Too damn old these days... BUT i digress. Sadly, although I have been building websites for 16 years with Homestead, sadly I am disappointed by the inherent problems that the new builder has, as its supposed to be responsive, viewable on all devices, it falls so badly short compared to other building programmes that seem to manage very well. I gave up trying to get the thing to work after a couple of months but a few of my fellow builders, Susan, San Diego, Dave etc appear to have found a technique to overcome most of the problems with the mobile version so please hang around and wait for their input. Good Luck
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

• 43,192 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
You would enter the HTML script by Clicking Elements > HTML Embed > enter your script 

When you build the site you need to stay within the left and right lines shown on the Editor which is about 950 pixels. The mobile version will move content down a line at the half way point which is approx. 475 pixels. If you build back and forth between the two versions you'll be able to see where it's dropping and can design accordingly.
Photo of S

S

• 6,760 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hello Susan -

Indeed I did enter the script as you explained (something I use on all our sites which shows URL visitors click thru on) but with this site oddly the log show the URL as a very long string beginning with http://preview-editor.homesteadcloud.com/extern/embed-html......... (regardless of what device is accessing the site (not in 'preview mode' at all). (small issue for this website but would not be satisfactory application of html for a business site).

Regarding the Site: I am not building in Mobile version. I have stayed within the parameters per the template. In fact this is a very simple one-page template showcasing just a couple key features of the builder. Although there is a 'mobile site' available, I have chosen the system to deliver the 'desktop' version of the site when it detects a mobile device. I have not 'built out' a mobile version as I do not like it and indeed the Websitebuilder is responsive just not accurate with all browsers that I have tried on an Android Tablet.

On Android Tablet the following are issues in Chrome (which unfortunately most people use):
  • Top Image is cut off slightly on both sides
  • The Image Gallery (under 'Vintage....' Section) delivers a single vertical row of images that span from side to side but skinny with about 75% of the image cut off - 25% on the bottom and 50% on the top (regardless of Landscape or Portrait view)
  • This Image Gallery is not interactive like the Desktop Version (click one image to view all through the scroll)
  • Images under 'The Ultimate Sports....' Section are cut off to different degrees in both Landscape and Portrait views (more cut off in Landscape view by maybe 50%
  • Image under 'Exceptional Condition' Section is also cut shorter cropped from bottom and 
  • Image Scroller under 'Specifications US Models' (although not a big deal...directional buttons are not 'inline' and the 'scroll pattern' appears to be in the opposite direction (of US viewing expectations)
  • Under 'BMW Authorized Service' Section, that image is just cut from top and bottom by a total of about 75%
Opera delivers similar results as Chrome except (even though gallery images are narrow, they can be clicked to view individually in a slide (which in Chrome freezes the table) but Firefox delivers a full desktop version without any distortions, all pictures are full size, gallery and scroller interactive.

Just an additional note - did try again on another Android Tablet and although the gallery pics are narrow, I was able to click through to slider (rather than freezing the browser - but all other issues remain the same)

(all comments in this post pertain to viewing on Android Tablet)
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.