NEW SITE BUILDER

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archiving inactive content

My site was built 10 years ago with the old sitebuilder. I use mobile redirects to Duda. I am unhappy with this setup affecting my google ads. I want to redesign my site in the new program and replace the old system/setup. What is the best way to do this?
Photo of Kathryn1654

Kathryn1654

• 576 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 44,782 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hello,

You'll just need to go under Websites Manager in your Homestead account and click "Add New Website". You'll give it a placeholder name, while you still have your old site up. Choose a design and start building. You can open your current site in another tab to download images and copy text. Once you are happy with the new design, we can change the site association for your domain to point to the new website.
Photo of matthewstrat7703

matthewstrat7703

• 422 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
thats 10 years that person invested in that domain....All lost after switching over....Why arent you letting them know that part?
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

It is common practice when rebuilding a website to keep your same page names, and as long as the pages are titled the same, the pages will redirect automatically through the free SSL we provide through Website Builder. Other than the typical initial hit to your SEO that comes with rebuilding your site, nothing will be "lost"
Photo of matthewstrat7703

matthewstrat7703

• 422 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Very important read! For all of you who have switched over from sitebuilelder to the new website builder. 

If
you happened to have a domain for a long time, and acquired link juice
or ranked for keywords, you will most likely lose all that when you
switch over. 

Unless every page you create on websitebuilder is identical and uses the same url as your first site. 

The reason being, is homestead doesnt provide the option to redirect (301) visitors from the old site pages to new site. 

So
after you publish the new improved website, if your old website is
still published, you will most likely get duplicate page errors from
search engines. Resulting in a loss in rank and traffic to your new
page. 

Homestead has no
fix. Other website builders allow for you to 301 redirect your old pages
to your new pages, allowing you to retain your history with the search
engines. 

So make sure if you are creating a new site on websitebuilder to switch over, that you make the pages and URLs identical. 
(Edited)
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Any time you rebuild a website, it is important to remember that all the links to the page URLS need to be titled the same. If they are, our website builder will redirect the old pages to the new ones as long as you have the auto-SSL active. Since Sitebuilder Plus pages ended in .html, those pages are now redirected through that 301 redirect with the SSL. If said page URLs are different to the content it is suppose to correspond with (even by one character) it will be seen as a unique URL and will redirect to the Home Page.

Any time you build a new website and attach a domain to it, you do take a hit. However, with Website Builder, you now get a mobile responsive website, and you get an SSL so you are hitting the mark on SEO necessities you weren't able to before. These slight changes will make a huge difference in customer experience, which is extremely important to Google.
Photo of David E Ludy

David E Ludy

• 60 Points
I think I have the same problem. How do I go about switching to the new website that I developed.  Do I call in?
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Hello,

Have you already built the new site or are you wanting to start?
Photo of mbhv4120

mbhv4120

• 216 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I've been using Homestead since 1992.  I am late to the party, but just realized that some of my pages on my mobile looked messed up.  However...ONLY if I or others use a link via Facebook.  If I just type in the link in Google from my phone, then the website looks perfect.  I came looking for answers and I guess I never paid attention to this new website builder.  I have to say, reading for hours and watching some of the videos...makes me want to just leave it as is with the old way.
I also, unless I missed it, do not want a background template.  I've never used them and always made my pages from a blank white page.  So can I start with a blank white page?  I don't want sections as to where I have to place stuff.  Our pages are basic with a lot text on some, forms on others.
I also don't want to mess up what I have.  It's been working fine for me for years without any issues.
I JUST revamped it about 3 weeks ago before I noticed this new builder was available. This is our organizations website.     https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/www.supportmiveterans.org
Thank you.
(Edited)
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Hello,

Your site looks great, but it is not mobile friendly, which is very important these days. The responsive design, mobile builder, and free SSL would be why I suggest switching to the newer builder. You will have to choose a template, but you can delete everything you don't want to use from that template to start blank.
Photo of mbhv4120

mbhv4120

Thank you.  So, from what you saw on our website, will I be able to create it to look the same.  I mean I don't care much if I have the big old button links to push, but basically would like it to be very similar.  :)
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Yes you can definitely build the site to be very similar!
Photo of mbhv4120

mbhv4120

Whew....I'm like an old shoe here.  I said 1992 but it was more like 97ish.  I was playing with other builders back then before I found Homestead.   This site I built for our organization.  I also have a separate site for my own business.  Thank you again.  I will fiddle with it.  

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.