My work program support has informed me I cannot use IMAP. What are my options?

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

My work program support has informed me I cannot  use IMAP. What are my options?

Photo of Debra9485

Debra9485

• 414 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You can use POP. Will they allow that?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Or you can log in to webmail
Photo of Debra9485

Debra9485

I can try that but it doesn't look like any of the settings would change within my program. I will forward a screen shot of the settings page
Photo of Debra9485

Debra9485

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Those look good. Did they say why you would be unable to use it? If they don't allow it, then there won't be anything we can do, but the settings should work if they permit IMAP or POP. Are you able to log in to Webmail?
Photo of Debra9485

Debra9485

I am able to log in to webmail. I double checked by deleting auto complete and typing in  password.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

If they don't allow IMAP access, chances are they won't allow POP either, so you will need to use the Webmail.
Photo of Debra9485

Debra9485

Can you send me some info on how that works?
Photo of Debra9485

Debra9485

Tech support for my work program logged in remotely and still could not get it to work. So strange because it had worked up until a month or so.

They asked me to find out if there was a setting to allow 3rd party apps?

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Can you wait about an hour and try again. I changed your DNS a little bit.
Photo of Debra9485

Debra9485

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try it with those settings, no luck though. I did enter my personal email settings(Yahoo) and I can get that to work.

Again, previously my homestead mail account was working within my work program until about 6 to 8 weeks ago.

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

We have not changed our settings since we moved to the new mail servers about 3 or 4 years ago. Has something on your work network changed. Does it work from another location?
Photo of Debra9485

Debra9485

I can't check from another location because it is a work program. I don't have access away from work. As I stated earlier, it does (RO Writer/ work program), work with yahoo settings. So that's just odd
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Would they let you install a program, like Mozilla Thunderbird to try. The mailbox seems ok. I can try setting up a client to make sure it is working for me, if you like.Is it the program you only have access to at work? Do you have a computer, tablet or phone? All of those are things we can set up to check your mail.
Photo of Debra9485

Debra9485

Tech help at RO Writer said that settings across many platforms, Google, Yahoo, etc changed a couple months ago in regard to 3rd party access to email programs. He stated that in settings, it has to be configured to allow less secure apps. I did not see anything in email account management control that would help in that manner. Is that something that can be managed on your end?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I have been advised that we did not make any changes like that at the server level. I also have never seen a program that could not connect given the correct settings.We don't use any type of encryption, so I am not quite sure what it might be.

If this change was made on the Webmail Client, I don't see a setting for something like that and so it would not be changeable. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about the client.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.