my website is too small

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

Hi, whether I am using Safari, Google Chrome or Micrsoft Explorer, my website appears too small (too narrow) on the screen. Especially when being viewed on a wide screen, but even using my Macbook Pro, which is not really a wide screen, my Homestead website is too narrow. Is there a way to make it wider? I only have one site and it is not optimized for smart phones and I don't want it to be at this point. The website address is markpmilne.com
Photo of Mark6777

Mark6777

• 310 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

• 32,264 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
HI Mark,Website looks OK to me in Firefox but do you mean the margins on the left and right. This is fairly normal as the viewed webpage is wider than the working webpage in editor. The edit workpage is set to around 980.. If you look in page settings, see what your pages are set to. You can change that settings and that would make the page wider but you would then have to repositions text and pictures to match the bigger page. One word of warning. You may not want your website optimised for mobiles but the sad truth is, as humans, it seems we are totally dependant on accessing the web everywhere 24/7 so will be using all types of smart phone and tablets to view your website. IF they have to scroll left to right just to read text they will not hang around on your site for too long.
Photo of Mark6777

Mark6777

• 310 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi Brian, thanks very much for your reply. I hate using community-help like this, since I am a paying customer and feel that Homestead should be offering me help themselves, but unfortunately many businesses now treat their own customers this way, and there is little for us to do but accept it. In my own business, we could never treat customers this way. So I thank you for your help.

I now have two more questions for you, one clarifying my original question and the other something new.

First:

You are right, I meant the margins when I said my page is too narrow. When I view the site, and I mean when I access it like anyone else would (outside of the homestead editor), it fails to fill the screen on the left and right side. When I access it with my iphone, however, it does fill the screen. But on pcs it doesn't, even when using a non-wide screen, one that is almost square, my page has a big fat strip of empty space on the left and right margins. When I look at other websites, none of them appear like this, accept for websites of small companies designed some years ago where it is clear that nobody is really taking care of their web presence. 

Now that I have seen that my site looks fine on a cell phone, I wonder: if I make it all wider using the editing feature of Homestead, how can I make sure that I don't end up creating, as you mentioned, a result that for cell phone users results in them having to scroll left and right to read the text? I certainly don't want anyone to be inconvenienced. 

Second: 

Nowadays we see a lot (perhaps all newly designed sites) of websites that no longer feature pages or windows but instead are just one long vertical strip that you scroll down (or flick with your thumb on cell phones) instead of clicking on a menu. Just in case I want to consider changing my site to this newer presentation method, is there a tutorial on Homestead or elsewhere about how to do this using Homestead's editor?

thanks again!
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

• 32,264 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hello Mark, first off your very welcome for the assist. Yes I agree, many websites offer 24/7 support, but we have what we have and have to do the best we can. Drew and Todd are Homestead employees and are in here daily to offer help and investigate problems and in truth are very helpful and knowledgeable, just not here all the time so we are a "self Help" group. Everyone can contribute and everyone is welcome. I have been building websites with Homestead for over 16 years and even new builders have come up with solutions I didn't know. No one is an expert, its two words, Ex meaning you were once, and spurt is a drip under pressure.. :)

OK. The anomalie you are getting with seeing your website on iPhone I would suspect that it cuts the borders off but the bigger the screen available the more border you will see. The problem is that the website is not "responsive" in that it doesn't adjust itself to fit the screen used to view it. To give the illusion of a full width page you can change the colour of the margins (background) to the same colour of your webpage. I am rebuilding a website but look at the blue page across the screen on this old website www.homesecuritysurveys.uk.the technique I used.

However, this does not overcome the problem with different sized screens. With Sitebuilder plus you do have the option to get a mobile website with Duda via Homestead log in page. ( it was a freebie but please check) I found it converted the website very well with just a small amount of editing on the Duda website.

The new building programme Websitebuilder overcomes all those problems  by being "responsive" but it would mean rebuilding your website from scratch,a bit daunting but the SEO and responsive benefits are worth it. I tested the old website against SEO, after working on it for six months to get it right and then tested the new website, in the middle of the rebuild and the new website scored a lot better. BUT its not a step up from Sitebuilder +, its a whole new concept and takes some getting used to  (and has some glitches)

Although my new website is still comprised of pages, in the mobile version, it does just scroll down with a flick of the finger so I am assuming that's how "responsive" websites work. Hope this helped a bit.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Mark6777, As Brian mentioned, this community is our interactive knowledge base. We post helpful topics here and allow customers to post the own questions and comments. It is not a place that we set up an abandoned. We are here Monday-Friday, and will answer any and all questions we can contribute to. If another customer manages to answer you first, we will read the reply. If we have a different perspective or something to add, we will comment. If we have nothing to add then we will generally not comment.

Brian covered it pretty well. The old Sitebuilder templates are all fixed width. Different screens will have different amounts of blank space. It will depend on the display settings. With a Sitebuilder site, you can use Dudamobile to make the site look better on mobile devices. You can also widen the pages, but that would require reorganizing the pages as well.

The new Websitebuilder would fix this issue, but it would, as Brian mentioned, require starting over again. Unfortunately the differences are so complete that old sites just can't be converted.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.