mobile friendly sitebuilder plus

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: 7 days of inactivity

How do I make a sitebuilder plus site mobile friendly?
Photo of Hal9944

Hal9944

• 380 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

• 11,728 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hello,

We previously were using Dudamobile to set up a mobile website. Unfortunately they are no longer offering a free service for mobile conversions. There is not another option I can suggest I would recommend rebuilding using our new software to get the updated features. 
Photo of steve4468

steve4468

• 2,876 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
This is what I did to make https://www.drywallcarolina.com/ mobile friendly. I'm very satisfied with it. 

The information was supplied to me by George7467. He got the information from WHC1666. Both are/were members of this forum. Drew N. a Homestead Alum stated it was a legitimate way to create a moble friendly site.

I was using desktop sitebuilder but have done the exact same thing using sitebuilder plus and have had no problems.

I did not create a new folder named mobile. Instead I added the word "mobile" to the mobile friendly pages. Example: index-mobile, repairs-mobile, etc.

If you have or have had a duda mobile site for your site you'll need homestead to turn off the duda association before you'll get the pages indexed by search engines or pass the google mobile friendly test.

George7467

• 3,590 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Several months ago, I created a free mobile site using Dudamobile, but I didn't like having their banner ads on my site, and didn't want to pay extra to have them remove it.  Then WHC1666 shared a way to create mobile sites using Sitebuilder.  Here's his original post:

https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/google-changes-and-mobile-websites?topic-reply-list....

I took his advice and built a mobile site using only Sitebuilder Desktop.  Here it is:

www.elversonpuzzle.com

The whole process was surprisingly easy.  First, I created a folder (called Mobile) for my new mobile pages.  Then, in Page Properties, I set the page width of each mobile page to 320. 

Also, in Page Properties/Advanced, I inserted the following html code in the <HEAD> tag of each mobile page:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">

Once the mobile pages are published, you need to provide a way for mobile users to find them.  That can be achieved (as WHC1666 suggested above) by adding buttons to your desktop pages, allowing users to choose between your desktop or mobile site. 

Alternatively, you can add html code to your desktop pages that will automatically sense if the page is being accessed by a mobile device, and if so, redirect it to a mobile page that you specify.  To do it, go to Page Properties/Advanced, and insert the following html code in the <HEAD> tag of each desktop page that you wish to redirect:

<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
if (screen.width <= 699) {
document.location = "http://www.yourdomain.com/youroptionalfolder/yourmobilepage.html";
}
//-->
</script>

This simple method isn't foolproof and may not work for every phone.  It requires that javascript be enabled on the mobile device. However, I think it will work on the majority of phones, and additional html code could always be added to make it more robust.

I am very pleased with the results.  It passes Google's mobile-friendly test, doesn't have any banner/footer ads, allows you to create as many pages as you want (using a sitebuilder that you are already familiar with), and allows you to view the site stats for each mobile page.

Drew N, Alum

• 262,796 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
This is a legitimate way to make the site. Nothing bad should happen assuming everything is done correctly. If you pass the mobile friendly test from Google, you have nothing to worry about.
Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

• 11,728 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Thanks so much Steve!
Photo of steve4468

steve4468

I forgot to specify that using the homestead.com address it may pass googles' mobile friendly test but using your domain address without having the duda association shut off it will not pass as mobile friendly and you won't get your pages indexed.
(Edited)
Photo of steve4468

steve4468

Here's some more information that might help you.

I started with a blank new page.

Make sure your page properties are set to "Center Page" before starting.

I didn't use buttons to link the mobile pages as stated above. I used a text link at the bottom of each desktop page that linked to the specific mobile page.

Because the main goal of my website is to have the visitor call/text me to set up an appointment for me to inspect the damage I have no pictures/buttons/etc. on the mobile pages. Everything presented is in a single text box and for me that works just fine.

However if you want/need images/buttons on your mobile page it's important to use multiple text boxes with the image between the boxes. If you insist on using a single text box you must have the same sized font blank spaces between the areas you're placing the image. In other words, if the headline of a specific section of the text box is a #14 helvetica bold font with the body using a standard #12 helvetica font the spacing should be the #12 font every time you hit ENTER to make space for an image or button. And remember to keep your images/buttons in the front of the single text box or they won't work and it will make any adjustments a hassle. 

Page titles and descriptions are handled on my site by simply adding "-mobile" at the end of the title and description on the mobile pages. Other than that the page titles, descriptions, keywords, etc. are exactly the same for the desktop and mobile pages. Google/BING/etc. don't seem to have any problem with duplicate issues by doing this as all pages receive traffic.

Most importantly, keep your phone handy to check your work. The preview or desktop view of the page will be different from the view using your phone. By using your phone you can make adjustments, publish and refresh your phone to get an accurate view of what your visitors see.
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.