How do I create a H1 heading tag?

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I just ran the Bing SEO analyzer on my new site and it says I'm missing a tag. Is this important? Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks!
Photo of Craig

Craig

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

• 28,258 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Craig,

Welcome to the Community!

Could you please be more specific as to which tag is missing? My guess is possibly a title tag or meta tag, but please let me know and I can further investigate.

Thanks,

Chris
Photo of Craig

Craig

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hey Chris,

Here is their recommendation: "Add a header to the page by using a tag and place it within the of the page source. Example: A precise and descriptive headline for the page."

I'm not where or how to do this.
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the reply. A header tag is the title or caption for a particular page. It essentially tells a search engine what it can expect to find on that particular page.

1. Add an html box near the top of your web page. In the html element you will want to add the following code:

<h1>A precise and descriptive headline for the page</h1>

Replace the headline with what you would like it to say. It should only be 4-5 words with a good keyphrase within it.

To manipulate how the H1 tag appears, you can add this code into the header tag of the webpage (found under Advanced Settings in the Page Settings tab in the top toolbar).

<style> h1 {font-size:14px;font-family: Arial; color:#FFFFFF;} </style>

In this you can edit the size, style, and color of how the heading appears.

Hope that helps!

Be sure to like us on Facebook and Twitter to learn more about how to grow your business.
Photo of Vicki2998

Vicki2998

• 214 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Can you use other font-famillies? I tried some and they didn't work.
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi Vicki,

I do believe you can use other font families, but I'm not 100% sure. I did a couple searches around "custom h1 font styles", but didn't see anybody else using outside font. I do recommend being careful with this as if someone is looking at your website and they don't have that specific font on their computer, the H1 tag won't show correctly.

Thanks!

Chris
Photo of Barbara6638

Barbara6638

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Bing SEO analyzer is telling me the same thing for my site. I'm hesitating to put in HMTL codes for the header/headline tag because I don't want to change my logo and subtitle appearance and spacing. Can the tag be added, but layed underneath so it shows up behind the logo - that way not changing the appearance of the logo? When you suggest putting in a 4-5 word headline, Chris, isn't that what I've already done with my logo? Why doesn't a appear for the logo automatically? Last question - how critical is this for Bing?
Photo of jeff9772

jeff9772

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I did just as stated above then changed font size to 1, then it wasn't visible.
Photo of awplooster4794

awplooster4794

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
I would like to add a title an h tag or an tag in the body of my website. How do I and a tag?.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.