Microdata for proper identification of my pages by Facebook, Google and others

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

My Simple Store product pages have facebook, twitter and pinterest buttons. Concerning the facebook button: I do not see Open Graph tags on my product pages when I view the source code, so how can facebook accurately interpret my simple store product pages... for example, how can facebook get the image right when someone "likes" one of my products? Since my simple store is an app on facebook, can I input the appropriate open graph tags there? (I am not able to manipulate the code on individual product pages of simple store in site builder.)

Google prefers a different variety of microdata (other than open graph tags)... they like the schema,org variety of microdata. In general what microdata should I be incorporating into my pages, not just simple store, but all my pages, to make them as comprehensible as possible to linked social media pages or search engines? Can you recommend supplemental reading to go with Facebook's coverage of using open graph tags?
Photo of Ronald5605

Ronald5605

• 784 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Ronald5605,

As you've probably noticed, the SiteBuilder gives you limmited access to placing code. You can add code to the head section by clicking the Page Settings button and then clicking the Advanced link, and you can add code to the body of the page by clicking the Insert button > More > and then the HTML button. Once you paste your code into the html box, you can move the box to whatever location you wish.

The limitation of the SimpleStore is that it is a SiteBuilder element placed in the page but the code for the element is not accessible. I am not very well versed with schema.org, but if that code needs to go within the store element, you can't actually access the code for that.

Doing a quick Google search I did locate the following sites:
http://ogp.me/
http://schema.org/docs/gs.html#microd...

If it helps, and you would want to rebuild your site we do offer the Bigcommerce storefront platform. Searching google again for "bigcommerce schema.org" I found numerous sites and blogs discussing how to add this code to the Bigcommerce system. Here is one such site. http://andrewbleakley.com/adding-rich...

If you do want to add the Bigcommerce package to your account let us know.

I hope this helps.

Mike
Photo of Ronald5605

Ronald5605

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the articles/info.

Having implemented Homestead's publication "SEO 101," having gone beyond it, in fact, but still not getting found for our keywords/product names, I am concerned that we may need some help. Since doing the things prescribed in SEO 101, our traffic count is actually up by several hundred percent, sometimes more, like when I post a back-link to Reddit... our traffic spikes for several days or more. However, we still just are not getting found often enough by customers for our product names. I feel that I am on the right track by pursuing efforts to get linked up widely around the web, on relevant sites, and making my pages Social media friendly, that is, putting microdata on our pages. I do not know that a BigCommerce platform would solve our problem, but I am open to suggestions about how to make our pages truly competitive in organic search results. Perhaps, a consultation with explicit directions for developing our pages- if I can truly expect to develop our site, using sitebuilder- to a highly competative level? Are there people with really successful ecommerce sites that are using Homestead? If so, specifically, what Homestead products are they using? Send me some links to successful sites. Let me know what you think.

Thanks, Ronald

PS why don't I see the HTML snippets that I put on my pages, such as the social media buttons, show when I view my source code?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I would say that our most successful ecommerce sites use the Store front platform. This isn't necessarily because it's better software, it's more of a fact that these customers either sell too many products for the SimpleStore, or need added functionality that the SimpleStore does not have. I'm not at liberty to tell you or share which sites are the most successful out of respect and privacy of those account owners.

I would have to look at your html snippents but I'm guessing that if they are iframe codes then they won't show. When you do a right-click to view source it will show the source code for that page but technically, the source for those types of widgets is actually a different site. It would be less critical to see that particular code on the view source page since you can access it from the editing screen.

Mike
Photo of Ronald5605

Ronald5605

I am not familiar with the coding for an I-frame. Are you saying that the snippets I have copied from the developer pages of sites such as reddit, pinterest, facebook, stumbleupon,twitter and etcetera are (themselves) "I-frame" codes?

In general, the snippets that I incorporate into my site using the "insert HTML" facility of site builder are located on my site, and not on another site, correct...or is this facility of sitebuilder ("insert HTML"), itself, an I-frame?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
When you add the social widgets, they are indeed on your site and they link to your social page in some way depending on the button's function.

An iframe is code that you place on the site and it sections out a defined area of your page and displays a URL within that section, usually wilt all the functionality of the site available. So the content within the iframe is actually not on your site. It is the URL you specify in the iframe code.

The problem with iframes though is that Google will register that space as essentially empty. You will not receive an SEO benefit from using iframes, as Google doesn't want to reward your site for displaying other people's work.

Does this help?

Drew

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.