Maximum picture size (pixel or MB/GB)?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

I tried downloading photo taken with my Nikon. I soon
realized that the picture size (mb/gb) were causing problems and Sitebuilder quit working. The bad news is that I spent a long time talking with technical support trying to find out what the problem was and they were clueless. I found it out on my own. So the question is “what is the maximum picture size (mb/gb) that will work and not crash the Sitebuilder software?” I was trying to download 3.5 mb photos. It seems to work better somewhere in the 200gb to 2.0mb range. However, I am not sure what is the best size. By the way, the mb/gb range is determine by the pixel size. For example 750X935 = 206.gb. You can also contact me at richcarson@q.com.

Photo of Richard0153

Richard0153

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

• 32,264 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
 The larger the photo the longer the page will take to download. Your camera take photos to be able to be enlarged and the quality can be chosen.  Your PC will shrink any photo down to screen size but its not the actual size you are looking at. Search engines rate page download times in nano seconds a 1bm photo will take a second or two and the result will be your website will be downgraded. I have been using a neat programme for the past 20 years called irfanview to resize my photographs for webpages. Its free, no adverts, no nasty surprises and available in 32 and 64 bt versions. You can resize individual photos by percentages eg 50%,or by your own desired percentage. Minimal / Unoticeable loss of quality. It also does Batch conversions so you can opt to resize dozens of photos in one go. Its never let me down and even though I have an expensive web/photo editing suit Xara I still use Irfanview to resize because its quick and easy. Have a look www.irfanview.com

When you open your first photograph make sure you have the view setting to Fit window to image

YOU will probably be looking at the top left hand corner of your photograph.... thats how big it really is. You can resize the image in increments and get the right size for your website by trial and error.

Hope this helps
Photo of Richard0153

Richard0153

Actually it doesn't help. The question was specific to what is the maximum mb or kb size and/or pixel range. The resize is dependent on that answer.
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

• 32,264 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Do you want the image to take up the whole width of the screen, half the screen, less....Are they saved as JPG, PNG or GIF........ I am sure you can see there is no simple answer, Here is a link that explains about picture sizes for websites. Its designed for wordpress users but it is informative.

https://codex.wordpress.org/Image_Size_and_Quality

But in general KB is the norm never larger than 1mb.( although some, including myself, feel even
 1 mb is too large for a web page)  You will also see on the link that file size and actual picture size is treated differently.
(Edited)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,826 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The maximum file size that can be uploaded via Sitebuilder Plus is 200megabytes. Sitebuilder desktop is limited to 70megabytes. In either case3.5megabytes should go up fine, but unless there is an extreme case where you require it, I would never upload an image file larger than 500kilobytes. It will simply slow the page down too much. It will depend on how large you need it on the page, but we do not specifically limit the size of images, unless you are using Simplestore, then it is 1megabyte.

It is possible that there may be an issue with the install of the desktop program. and it needs to be removed completely and installed again. https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/how_do_i_do_a_complete_re_install_of_sitebuilder_de...
Photo of Richard0153

Richard0153

So I have two answers: "3.5megabytes should go up fine" and "never upload an image file larger than 500kilobytes." Which is it?
Also I contacted Homestead tech support and did the reinstall and it didn't help. They never mentioned file size for pics. I found that out on my own.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,826 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
As stated above there is no specific limit to an image size, other than the max size of any file. 500kb is simply the largest image I would ever place on a page to make sure page load time is not woefully slow. The more pictures added to a page, the smaller they should be, again for page load times.

Have you tried uploading the image from the Sitebuilder file manager and then adding it to the page from the file list?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.