Making Pages Register as Feeds with Search Engines

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I want the advantages with search engines of having an RSS feed for each of my pages. That is, I want my pages to register with search engines as being dynamic pages, rather than static pages. What code should I add to my pages so that they can be subscribed to as an RSS feed? For example, my Homestead Blog has an RSS feed address; I want the same for my other pages. What would you suggest?
Photo of Ronald5605

Ronald5605

• 784 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Unfortunately this isn't something you'll be able to do through the SiteBuilder. To create an RSS feed, it's far more complex than just adding something to the page. An RSS feed requires a back-end CMS (Content Management System). Here's a site that does an excellent job of explaining all the details in case this is something you wish to pursue. http://rss.softwaregarden.com/aboutrs...

If this post helps, please give a "Star" and complete this survey to rate me.

Thanks!

Mike
Photo of Ronald5605

Ronald5605

• 784 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I have read the article you suggested; thanks.

Still, however, I see that my Homestead Blog can be subscribed to. The link for subscribing to my blog page, which appears on the "bookmarks display" menu of the Firefox browser, is, in fact, a standard "RSS" link, that is, the orange button with white arcs. Firefox does not display a subscription link for my other pages, only for my blog. From a coding standpoint, why is that the case? It would seem that my Blog page contains the XML code needed for RSS Aggregators to register changes to it, because this page registers with Firefox as one that can be subscribed to? Does the "back end" of my homestead blog page contain this XML code, or why does it register with Firefox as being a page for which a "subscribe" link should be displayed?

Correct me where I am mistaken, but it seems to me that I could manage my Blog Page as a "news page," an "rss feed" for intents and purposes, for my site at large, paticularly if I could display the aforementioned "subscribe" link on any page of my website. The user would only be able to subscribe to my blog page, but I would make notes of changes to any of my pages there. (Even on my blog page, it would be helpful for gaining subscriptions if I could openly display the "subscribe" link that only appears on the "display bookmarks" menu of the Firefox browser, (and in other browsers, I suppose).

Considering that my Homestead Blog can be subscribed to, how exactly is it different from an RSS feed?

BTW- what are best schools of web design?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
It only appears that your blog page is being subscribed to. It is actually the blog element itself that has the RSS feed, not the actual web page.

The blog element is a lot like an Iframe. Think of it as a web page embedded into another web page.

Mike

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.