Loading images onto my blog posts?

• Question
  • Updated 7 years ago
  • Answered
Archived

This conversation was archived and is no longer visible to community members.

I am trying to load images into my blog posts on my website, but the only way it will let me is by adding an 'image URL'.
Can I browse my computer for images to load, or even add the ones I have on my website?

Thanks
Shelley
Photo of Shelley9883

Shelley9883

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

• 28,258 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Shelley,

Welcome to the Community!

You are correct that you can only specify URLs to add an image. To do this:

1. Images on your computer

1. Login to the editing software.
2. Click on your domain or site name at the top of the page and select View File Manager.
3. When your file manager opens up, click the upload icon and upload the images you want to use to your website. Once uploaded you can then grab the URL by using your domain / image name.

Ex. www.jezebelmakeup.com/image1.jpg.

2. Images already on your website

1. Go to the live site and find the image on the webpage.
2. Right click on the image and (IE - click properties...Firefox -- click view image info).
3. That will give you the URL to use in your blog.

Hope that helps!

Chris
Photo of Kelly8382

Kelly8382

• 60 Points
I've tried this, it doesn't work. I get a 404 every time.

I'm switching to Wordpress. So.much.hassle.
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi Kelly,

Sorry for the frustration. If you could please provide the site and image you are trying to include into your blog, I'd be more than happy to see what the issue may be.

Thanks!

Chris
Photo of Sam5932

Sam5932

• 62 Points
I too was having trouble with this.

You must include the Http:// in order for this feature to work

WILL NOT WORK www.samaxx.com/ToneGridIcon.png

WILL WORK Http://www.samaxx.com/ToneGridIcon.png
Photo of mudhoneysoap4050

mudhoneysoap4050

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I'm having the same issue & it doesn't work with or without the http:// for me.
Photo of amy9716

amy9716

• 60 Points
Me, neither. I cannot believe posting to a blog could be so difficult. I can't believe I just increased my monthly cost to 19.99.....I CANNOT access my pictures. This seems so wrong.
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

• 39,954 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi amy9716,

Sorry for your frustrations, please see my response below for instructions on how to add your own image via your file manager and the image url.

Thank you,
Ehsan
Photo of Terri2217

Terri2217

• 70 Points
This is crap. Why can't we upload them without the url
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi Terri,

I apologize for the frustration. Unfortunately the blog element was built to use URL links. For a more robust platform, I'd recommend creating a blog with either wordpress or blogger and you can bring the feed in.

Hope that helps!

Chris
Photo of Terri2217

Terri2217

• 70 Points
I have an unrelated wordpress blog. Can it be linked up to my homestead website somehow?
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi Terri,

Thanks for the reply. Please check out https://community.homestead.com/homes... which will give you instructions on how to add the Wordpress blog to your website.

Thanks!

Chris
Photo of Damon2140

Damon2140

• 202 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yes, typing in my domain name forward slash file name only gives me a 404, too. No problem if I want to link to a photo from another website, though. But my own pictures? Forget it. And what happens when the other website moves/deletes their picture? I assume my blog photo-link fails.

I used to like Homestead.

I feel for the customer service reps who take the heat, here on the front line, because management makes user-unfriendly decisions such as the method for uploading photos into a blog. Which many of us have found to be an unworkable fail. Please feel free to pass this on to management, my good people in customer service.
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Damon2140,

I appreciate the feedback and will be sure to pass it along to my manager.

We encourage all of our users to create idea posts here in the community as that is what our Dev team will be monitoring for new ideas as well as for feedback on current tools and issues etc.

Thank you,
Ehsan
Photo of Damon2140

Damon2140

Is it possible to post a photo pic picture in your blog page? If not, why not? Even on this page is a button for the option to "Add image". C'mon, Intuit.

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Is it possible to post pictures on blog page?.
Photo of Aubrey T

Aubrey T

• 15,316 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Damon -

Chris posts steps above on how to add images onto your blog!

Hope they help!

thanks,
aubrey
Photo of Damon2140

Damon2140

Typing in my domain name forward slash file name only gives me a 404, too. No problem if I want to link to a photo from another website, though. But my own pictures? Forget it. And what happens when the other website moves/deletes their picture? I assume my blog photo-link fails.

Seeing as I am not the only person here (and others who are not on this community forum, who have the same problem) with a 404 issue, my question is: Is it us (user error) and an inability to follow simple directions, or is there an unresolved-undocumented functionality issue within the Homestead software it's self?
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Damon2140,

Please see my response to your latest comment.

Thanks,
Ehsan
Photo of Donna4502

Donna4502

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
The above steps do not work ... is there another way to put a picture on your blog ... simple task but seems impossible with site builder.
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Donna4502,

Please see my response below.

Let me know if I can offer further assistance, thanks.

Ehsan
Photo of Connie7954

Connie7954

• 176 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Photo of Damon2140

Damon2140

This has not been resolved and the silence suggests that Customer Service has also run into a dead-end. So, unlike the old...

...if you are about to purchase homestead, be aware that now you CANNOT upload your own photos. Any photos must be previously published on another website.

www.AlaskaAmbassador.com
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Damon2140,

You can use your images, they just need to be published within your file manager (don't necessarily have to be added to a page and be visible).

Import the image to your file manager then right click/publish it.

If you've imported the image into your main folder (not any subfolders) the url will be your domain + the image name

For example, if my domain is ehsan.com and my image name is picture1.jpg, the url would be: http://ehsan.com/picture1.jpg

If you've imported the image to a sub folder then you'll need to add the folder name in the url as well.

For example if I have a folder named images that is within my main folder, the url would be: http://ehsan.com/images/picture1.jpg

Let me know if you need further assistance, thanks.

Ehsan