Kudos to the Homestead Team! You did a Great Job with the new Builderd

• Praise
  • Updated 3 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archive

I have used HS for 12 years or so.  I am very familiar with the old site builder and was extremely bummed that I couldn't just migrate my old site over to the new one.    I have been building a Wordpress.org site for my wife and I really liked it.  It is much better than the old site builder and so I thought I would just move my three HS sites to WP.org.

However, after rebuilding 15% of one of my sites with the new builder today, in about an hour, I have decided that I REALLY do like the new builder.  It is better for what I need and easier to use than WP.org.

You guys really did a fantastic job.  Even though you may lose some older customers, (and we have given you grief for making us re do everything to get a  better site)  I think you have positioned the company for growth.  I am sure those who are willing to do the work on the new site will LOVE it as much as I do.

Keep the helpful tutorials coming!
Photo of Rockerfeller

Rockerfeller

• 1,394 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Glenda3230

Glenda3230

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I also have been a homestead customer for about 15 years. I was so excited when the new builder came out. But when I tried to upload my HTML widgets and that took close to 2 1/2 weeks to fix the widget and then when the HTML actually displayed none of them produce the right results I've been very concerned and unfortunately I cannot go further with this builder. An exciting start has fizzled into nothing because the HTML does not display properly. One of their technicians has responded to my widgets need and said at this point in time the HTML is not compatible at all with the new website builder. I'm extremely disappointed.
Photo of Ken9868

Ken9868

• 560 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I sorry to hear that you are having the HTML problems Glenda.  I’m just curious.  What HTML widgets are you loading? 

I’ve been working on the new builder for about 2 weeks now.  I have about 150 – 200 pages more to go so I will be on it for quite a while longer.  The reason I asked about your HTML problem is because I’ve been uploading the HTML widget with no problems at all.

One is called the “Add To Any.”  That’s those horizontal (or vertical) “sharing buttons” that you always see.  They’ve uploaded with no problem and display with no problem.

I have Vimeo video’s.  I’ve uploaded the Vimeo HTML into the widget and they also uploaded with no problem; displays with no problem; plays with no problem.

Are you sure you are embedding the HTML where it says “BODY HTML” and NOT – “HEADER HTML?”

Maybe that might be an issue.  I don’t know. I’m just sayin.’  

Photo of Glenda3230

Glenda3230

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yes I'm pasting the html in the Body HTML block (though thanks for the caution).
The html snippets are 1. the Google Language translation code, 2. My View Cart code from my 3rd party Shopping Cart software (this absolutely has to be on every page where the shopping cart is displayed).  The Shopping Cart html works though produces a new window for the cart not a pop-up Cart as in my current site.  Not a huge deal as it is still working.  When the View Cart is clicked, the contents simply flies out the window and no cart is produced - hard to put words to it, but that is what happens.  The 3rd widget that doesn't work is my newsletter sign up form - which is a very critical part of my business.  My 3rd party mailing software is Get Response.
What the homestead technician told me was that these 3 pieces of code were not compatible with their new software.  I understand if one of them might not be compatible, but to have all 3 not work properly seems a bit strange.
Surely I can't be the only homestead customer who is having these types of issues.  I've been with Homestead for at least 15 years now - waited a long time for the ability to have drop-down menus and now my important html code won''t work with their new software.  Bummer!  (All 3 pieces of code work with their desktop Site Builder)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,676 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I am not sure who you spoke with, but I am not aware of any reason that it would not be compatible. HTML is HTML. If the code is good the browser should interpret it correctly. Our hosting platform should not really have anything to do with it. It is very difficult for us to troubleshoot 3rd party code, but if you like I can take a look. Let me know the pages and places code is currently located.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.