Keep my site, but host with someone else?

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archiving inactive content.

Hello, I want to keep my site that I built on homestead and continue to have it there, but I want it to be hosted with someone else (the domain is also with them). How do I do this?
Photo of michelle5724

michelle5724

• 396 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Lynn1286

Lynn1286, Champion

• 5,760 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Homestead IS the host and it is tied to the site software exclusively.  You can't really do that.  You can only have the domain & email elsewhere.  To change it, you would have to completely rebuild the site on a different platform. While some of the other platforms offer "similar" features, I have often found the WIX & GoDaddy kinds of sites to be lacking in real design features and tools.  

Photo of michelle5724

michelle5724

Thanks! That makes more sense. The domain is somewhere else so I have to figure out how to get it..might as well have it here. No idea how to do that or if homestead offers support with that. I think I might have to point it first before transferring because I just found directions that say something about the site having to be with us for 60 days for a transfer to take place? Something is not adding up.
(Edited)
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 44,782 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hello Michelle,

You could absolutely transfer your domain to Homestead to make things more simple (have everything under one account)
You would just need to contact the company that currently has your domain and have them give you an authorization code and prep the domain for transfer. Then, you can add it to your account with us and it takes 5-7 days to transfer. We would certainly be able to assist you with that.

You can have the hosting for your site elsewhere, you just can't transfer the existing site you have with us to do so. As Lynn mentioned, the sites only work with our software.
Photo of michelle5724

michelle5724

Thank you. Can I have the other company point the domain/site to the one I have through homestead?
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 44,782 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Yes, you can do that as well.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.