I've been locked out of my email for over a day.

• Problem
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archiving inactive content

I tried to create a filter to remove a loop of cant send error to my account that I never created. This may have started the problem. But at this time I cant even access the account for shadowstock
Photo of John5710

John5710

• 520 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 43,936 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi there, John.

It looks like your email was compromised. We did send you an email regarding this, but unfortunately, the email address you have on file for us to contact you is the email address that was compromised. I recommend changing the email on file to something outside of Homestead's server.
The email we sent said:

Dear John,

We discovered that your email address john@shadowstock.com was sending email that was flagged as having suspicious or SPAM like content. This may mean that your email credentials have been compromised. To secure the email account, we've reset the mailbox password. We recommend logging into your Homestead account to set a new, Secure Password. We also advise changing the password to all other email accounts that shared the same password or have a weak password.

If these emails were sent out intentionally, we suggest using a service such as Constant Contact for bulk mailing. This service will ensure that you are effectively reaching your intended recipients while following the guidelines set out by the Federal Trade Commission in the CAN-SPAM Act. 

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you for your cooperation,

The Homestead Team

For instructions on resetting the email password, please refer to this article:

https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/how_to_i_reset_my_email_password
Photo of John5710

John5710

Thanks for the help. I never sent out those email. I have no idea how this happened. Was this some kind of virus? Thanks.
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

I understand. It seems like your email was compromised somehow, whether that be by a virus or just someone who was able to gain access. We cannot tell how it was compromised.
Photo of John5710

John5710

Is my email safe going forward? I changed the password?
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Changing your password will deny access to anyone who is using your old password. This shouldn't happen again, but if it does, I would recommend running a scan on your computer to check for malware before resetting your password again.
Photo of John5710

John5710

Thanks!!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.