Is this the worst website platform in the industry or can this formatting problem be fixed?!?

• Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Every time I edit my site it appears fine in publisher but when I publish everything gets reformatted between different browsers; Firefox, IE, Chrome, etc.

If you view the site right now in Chrome it looks almost fine but when you switch over to I.E. or Firefox everything is out of place and, worst of all, unreadable as most pictures relocate themselves over text.

Mike F. converted me over to SB+ on 3/6 and the switch did not improve the formatting problem one iota. I would have continued that original thread but they closed it from new comments without resolution.

Before I scrap the whole Homestead thing (and waste the dozens of hours I've already put in), does anyone have a real remedy?
Photo of Steve7463

Steve7463

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • going to throw my computer out the window

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,718 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
There could be several things causing this but most likely it has to do with excessive overlapping elements. We'll be happy to take a look. What is the site and page(s) that you are having the problem with and we'll take a look.

Mike
Photo of Steve7463

Steve7463

There are several pages on my saleawayllc.com site that change dramatically between browsers. My biggest concern is with this page as it receives the most traffic> http://www.saleawayllc.com/PinnacleAu...

I have checked for overlap (the blue lines) at least 37 times and, as I have written many times now, everything looks fine in "edit" mode and almost okay when published and viewed in Chrome. Switch over to another browser and the whole page is rearranged dramatically with pics over text, etc.

Maddening...
Photo of Matt B.

Matt B.

• 1,434 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi Steve7463,

I took a look at that page in SiteBuilder Plus. The formatting issues you are referring to are caused by using one large text box for the entire page, and using the Enter key on your keyboard (these are called "line breaks") to create spacing. The reason that this is an issue is because every browser is going to read/display that information differently. Some browsers are going to simply remove all of that extra spacing, as they see it as an error, where some browsers have a different physical height for each line break, so the spacing is going to look much more compact.

So, the resolution would be to break that one large text box up into separate text boxes for each time you want to add spacing, any more than 1 or 2 line breaks. Basically, by breaking it up, each text box has an actual physical location on the page defined in the code, rather than relying on a variable like line breaks that will be read and displayed differently in each browser.

Thanks,
Matt
Photo of Steve7463

Steve7463

Now there's news I could of used years ago...

I went ahead and created a new page with multiple text boxes for each section and the formatting problem appears much better now.

Thanks for the assist. I will now keep my computer in my office opposed to out the window!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,826 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Glad to hear it.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.