Is it possible to transfer content, along with the domain name, to a different host?

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: This topic was inactive for a period of time that led us to believe you have resolved the problem; therefore we are archiving this topic. If you do still need assistance, feel free to create a new post.

I have been maintaining a website for an association for several years and I recently decided to quit. I want whoever takes over to be able to access the content along with the domain and do whatever they want with it. Is that possible?
Photo of Charmagne9970

Charmagne9970

• 400 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,718 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Charmagne9970,

Yes.  The best way to do this is to have the new account manager open up an account with us. Then, give us a phone call (800-710-1998) when the  two of you are together so that you can pass the phone back and forth, (or exchange email address & pin number with each-other).  After the two of you, (or one of you with account information for both accounts), verifies the email address and pin number on both accounts, we can then transfer the domain and site from the existing account, into the new account.

Do not post the email address and pin numbers here on the community!

Mike
Photo of Charmagne9970

Charmagne9970

• 400 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Thanks! What if the new provider does not choose to use Homestead? I can definitely recommend it, but I won't have any control over it because I am no longer on the board.

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,718 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
They can open the account with whoever they wish. When transferring a domain name, the transfer is initiated with the receiving company. Transferring a site is going to be more complex, or problematic unless they want to rebuild the site. There are so many different website building platforms on the market that you'll run into problems because a site created with our software can not be edited with someone else's, or vice versa.
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.