Is it possible to have Drop-down menu with in my Navigation menu buttons

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Under Consideration
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

how to make drop down menu buttons with my navigation menu buttons
Photo of Dennis5053

Dennis5053

• 2,660 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Angela W

Angela W

• 6,540 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Dennis,

Thank you for asking. At this time, we don't have the option built into the website editor. This is an idea that has been under consideration so I've moved it to the Idea area of this Community. We will be providing updates and will update this thread once we've implemented this idea. Please note: If you're reading this and also want to see drop down menu's - be sure to +1 this idea. We will be prioritizing items for new releases based on feedback and votes in this community.

For now, you'll have to use HTML code to incorporate drop-down menus into your site. I don't have a specific site that I'd recommend using for drop-down menu code. I'll ask around and see if we can get some resources listed here for you.

Thanks for asking about Drop-down menus.
Photo of Catherine9642

Catherine9642

• 380 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
It's been three years and still no option for multi-level menus.  when will homestead come into the 21st century and offer multi-level menu options?
Photo of Matt3508

Matt3508

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I agree, 3 years is out of control for something that a programmer can probably complete within a short period of time.
Photo of Natalia1387

Natalia1387

• 146 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yeah, look at wix.com. in addition to that, homestead doesn't take jquery
Photo of David1775

David1775

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Foolishness. I asked for this for 2 years now. Time for me to make a change. GoDaddy!
Photo of Briaan4263

Briaan4263

• 252 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I would really like to see this implemented soon. Thanks.
Photo of Lise9729

Lise9729

• 502 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I agree. I'm outgrowing my website as I need to add more tabs, which I have too many of already, due to not having drop down menus available.
Photo of Fran0897

Fran0897

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
had i known this was not available i would have had someone create a website for me. as a start-up imaging redoing a website 3-6 months later because i made the wrong choice now is absurd. just sayin! i had the impression this vehicle for a website would keep me competitive with others in my field. oops! i'll have to rethink this now. it has been easy so far so i'll deal for now.
Photo of JCBling

JCBling

• 2,464 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
There are 2 easy solutions.
1.) Type the following in Google. HTML Drop Down menus. There are plenty of free menu makers. ( No matter how hard a website developer could try to program all of the variables everybody would want, there is always somebody who would complain it is not enough. Use on to the tools in the search and customize your own.
2.) Go to http://deluxe-menu.com/. Pay a one time fee for single or multiple sites and own your own Drop down menu generator. It uses one line of Javascript inserted on your page. I have a site the has 190 menus and submenus using this software. Also here is a simple use of the down software. Menus expand and contract. www.JCBling.com.
Photo of Angela W

Angela W

Thanks JCBling! I'm so glad you joined in this conversation. You always have great tips for other customers!
Photo of Gloria2691

Gloria2691

• 3,296 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Ok, I am pretty inexperience but this does seem to be an answer. I have over 500 pages and growing so I think a drop-down would help but not sure. What do you think?
www.thecatholictravelguide.com
Photo of Mary7412

Mary7412

• 70 Points
I want a drop down menu.
Photo of Betty6522

Betty6522

• 216 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I reviewed a Homestead website on the website review page and it had a drop down menu. Is that available now? The website is http://www.apsrecycling.com/
Photo of Jonathan Suarez

Jonathan Suarez

• 410 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Nice great sites. by the way. how did you do that to drop down the Drop the Menus link to another page?
Photo of Emery Heuermann

Emery Heuermann

• 1,036 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I went to their website, http://www.apsrecycling.com, right clicked, looked at "view source", found the information where their code came from, went to that website, looked at their menu maker page, went to the website they were advertising to buy it, got there and that company has a notice posted that it has withdrawn the menu maker from market BUT you can buy their full blown web site builder program which includes the menu maker used in the aforementioned recycling website. Didn't go any further. I didn't need a full blown web site builder program, I just need a drop down menu option.
Photo of Fran0897

Fran0897

This is very KEWL!!! i may have sounded negative however that is because a previous post said i needed to know html to incorporate drop down menus. that was extremely surprising to me. so saying "it has been easy so far so i'll deal for now" was a comment that i do find homestead easy, and it works for now, and i am happy with the service. as a lay person to website creation and design, i was simply passing along the info that what is not readily available was not communicated so i could make informed decision which way to go for my business rather than learn two months later what the INITIAL restrictions are. thanks for your reponse as it opens the possibilities wide. i know a person who adores bling...and will pass your website onto her. perhaps you can answer one more question. homestead said if i use their template i cannot change the top on each page, they all have to look like the first page. is there a solution to that as well?
have a great day.
Photo of Nicole3145

Nicole3145

• 174 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
would be nice to have that option!
Photo of Ksenia0107

Ksenia0107

• 62 Points
Need to create a dropdown menu on the top navigation bar.

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
How do I create dropdown menus?.
Photo of SisterC

SisterC

• 318 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
It would be awesome if this functionality were incorporated into the SiteBuilder software.
Photo of Brandon4854

Brandon4854

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
+1 / This is easily the #1 issue we have had for a few years.
Photo of SisterC

SisterC

Absolutely. I was told by a Homestead tech support person over two years ago that this function was "in development and would be released soon." I've Googled it as someone else suggested and the options won't work for those of us who don't know how to work with HTML or CSS. Not having to learn code is the whole point of a WYSIWG site builder.

Otherwise, the service and the software have been great, I have to say. After 3 years with Intuit/Homestead, the lack of drop-down navigation and free mobile site optimization are my only complaints. Overall, it's been a good experience.
Photo of Fran0897

Fran0897

thank you thank you thank you for saving me time in following up on all this. knowing that html is necessary leaves me out of this conversation. apparently simple means real simple when it comes to my website, and that is fine for now. once the business is up and running, hiring a website person i'm sure will take us to a new "server" or service. for now, this is absolutely easy to use and serves my purposes PERFECTLY!
Photo of SisterC

SisterC

SiteBuilder is a great starter program, and can do some very cool things without knowing any code. Upgrading when you're ready for it is a good idea.
Photo of Vernon0640

Vernon0640

• 628 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This would definitely be a most welcome option. I have a client that would definitely want this. I would use this for my own website.
Photo of Lise9729

Lise9729

I'm surprised this problem was brought to Homestead's attention two years ago and nothing has been done to address it. It's obvious from the responses so far that it is really wanted and needed. I, too, like the ease of working on my website with Homestead and I've had a great experience with them so far. But the drop down menu issue is a big one for me. I landed up having to buy the next package up from the basic 5 pages which is 10 pages. That's WAY too many tabs to run across the top of any website.

I'd like to hear from Homestead as to why this is taking so long to address. What's been done so far in the last two years? Thanks.
Photo of JCBling

JCBling

I can understand why! Think of all of the variables to try and satisfy the needs of every persons quirks. What an impossible task. You don't have to wait another 15 minutes. Go to Google, type in HTML for Drop down menus, and make your own. That way you don't have to wait any longer and its free.
Photo of SisterC

SisterC

@JCBling: Your suggestions throughout the Homestead forum are usually helpful and pertinent, and I am grateful for that. However, your solution in this instance does not work for those of us who are unfamiliar with HTML and uncomfortable with using it. I have looked on Google and have had no luck finding anything beginner-friendly that does not cost money. I think that those of us on this forum requesting drop-down navigation capability in SiteBuilder are seeking a solution that does not involve HTML, CSS, or more expense. Additionally, Homestead will not give assistance with implementing 3rd party code, so those of us who could use a hand are ultimately left in the dark.

The task cannot be impossible, because I have used drop-down capable web design software in the past. Since using Homestead's service requires us to use SiteBuilder, I don't think it is too much to ask that they give consideration to their customers' needs. After all, we do pay for this.
Photo of Fran0897

Fran0897

thanks SisterC - well said - getting the instruction would be great. then again i know there are plenty of books that will explain HTML code. by the time i can get around to reading them, and understanding them, i plan on being able to hire a webmaster and designer! lol
Photo of SisterC

SisterC

Very true - if we could afford to pay someone to do this, we wouldn't have these problems at all! :) lol
Photo of Patti0157

Patti0157

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Not having drop down menus has been brought to Homestead's attention over 5 years ago, that's right 5 years ago. It's so discouraging that they just aren't keeping up with the BYO market.
Photo of Fran0897

Fran0897

I just began with Homestead and once I am ready to develop my site I'll look around for another service. Someone showed me this and it is simple. If you want simple use Homestead. If you want something more sophisticated, it is simple...and all the comments show it. Use another service. You get what you pay for. KISS
Photo of NOE3839

NOE3839

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This feature is a must. I've asked for it for several years now. To remain competitive, it is a feature that needs to be included. I run 4 different sites with Homestead and need drop down menus for each of them. I just can't understand why this is being overlooked. Pretty basic stuff for professional looking sites. Should be included rather than sending us to other software sites. I did try this at one time and it is not easy. It also gets mixed results. Not a good solution.
Photo of JCBling

JCBling

Here is one of the most comprehensive Menu Generators

This FREE Drop Down menu Generator will allow you to choose your Styles, Colors, Buttons, Backgrounds, Horizontal, and Verticle designs. Click on the customize button of the different styles until you find what you need.

Open this in FireFox http://www.mycssmenu.com/

www.JCBling.com

PS. Web sites take work and time. There are always work around solutions to help you make the perfect site. Why wait?
Photo of SisterC

SisterC

@JCBling: This is what I get when I attempt to implement HTML from the site you linked above. I just took the code from one of their samples and pasted it into SiteBuilder on a test page (which is my level of capability when it comes to HTML). Do you know what is going wrong here? I tested it in IE, Firefox, and Chrome and it's all the same:

http://www.ssjw.org/TestingMenu.html

This would be great if it works, but this is what I get every time I try a third-party code site. I've tried several, and none of them work like they're supposed to.

I understand that you are trying to help, but the problem is that I don't know why this is not working, I don't know how to fix it, and the whole point of using a WYSIWYG web program is so that I do not have to work with HTML.
Photo of SisterC

SisterC

I understand the way the site works. Did you look at my link? When I paste the code into my site, it is just a list of links with bullets.

Here is a JPEG: http://db.tt/IQPFnV1p

There is no drop down menu. I did what you said above, but without customizing anything. I am not about to spend 20 minutes arranging everything only to have it not work.
Photo of madle5510

madle5510

• 300 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
im having the same exact problem, I dont know what to do.
Photo of SisterC

SisterC

Glad I'm not the only one! :) This is the problem with 3rd party code - there is no support.
Photo of JCBling

JCBling

Click on "File -Quick Publish" it will give you complete instructions. PS: This information also came up in Helpful Hints.
Photo of JCBling

JCBling

Example
Place this HTML code on the page where you want your menu to start.

RENAME THIS PART TO text/javascript' src='Your-file-name.js'>

Copy CSS Syles info into notepad and name file Your-file-name.js.

Upload this file to your site, and publish.
Photo of madle5510

madle5510

I still cant figure this out im using delux menue the trial version until I see if it actually works, could you provide info step by step, on how to do this when I save my document in delux menue this is what I get

How to Setup Deluxe Menu into HTML Page

1. Open the folder where you saved the project. This folder contains:
- test page01.js file - the file with menu parameters and items;
- test page01.files folder - the folder with menu engine js files and images.

2. Copy test page01.js file and test page01.files folder into the folder where html file is placed.

3. Open your html file in text editor, copy the following code into clipboard and paste it into the tag:

<!-- Deluxe Menu -->
Javascript Menu by Deluxe-Menu.com

<!-- (c) 2009, by Deluxe-Menu.com -->

If you use the html editor such as Frontpage or Dreamweaver and it brakes html code of your page when you paste the menu, move the above code after tag.

4. Copy the following code into clipboard and paste it into the place you want to have the menu:

For example, into a table cell:

5. Save your html file and enjoy the menu!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to Setup Deluxe Menu into HTML Page with Frameset
(Cross-frame Mode)

The cross-frame mode is used when your website has a frame-based structure (). In this case the top-menu is placed in one frame and submenus are shown in another one. For more info see cross-frame mode sample.

1. Open the folder where you saved the project. This folder contains:
- test page01.js file - the file with menu parameters and items;
- test page01.files folder - the folder with menu engine js files and images.

2. Copy test page01.js file and test page01.files folder into the folder where html file is placed.

3. Open html file of top-menu frame in text editor, copy the following code into clipboard and paste it into the tag:

<!-- Deluxe Menu -->
Javascript Menu by Deluxe-Menu.com

<!-- (c) 2007, by Deluxe-Menu.com -->

If you use the html editor such as Frontpage or Dreamweaver and it brakes html code of your page when you paste the menu, move the above code after tag.

4. Copy the following code into clipboard and paste it into the place you want to have the menu:

5. Set id property for the tag. For example:

6. Open test page01.js file in text editor and replace dm_init(); function to dm_initFrame(); at the end of the file:

dm_initFrame(framesetID, topFrameInd, subFrameInd, frameOrientation);

Where:
framesetID - id attribute of the tag;
topFrameInd - index of the frame with the top-menu, >=0;
subFrameInd - index of the subframe with submenus, >=0;
frameOrientation = 0/1 - orientation of the : 0 - horizontal, 1 - vertical.

For example: dm_initFrame("frmSet", 0, 1, 0);

7. Save your html file and test page01.js file and enjoy the menu!
Photo of SisterC

SisterC

Thanks, JCBling - will give it a try again.
Photo of madle5510

madle5510

I'm still clueless as to how to do this, JBLING if you can can you try to explain it to me, I tried following your instructions, but if possible could you kindly provide specifics as to how to do this, I keep on just getting a bulleted list.....

Thanks So Much
Photo of Frank4732

Frank4732

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks JCBling. I went there and fiddled around, recreated the menu I want, and it seems pretty cool. Question thenis, once you have your menu, where in sitebuilder can you find the code or html for a specific page. For example, I create a menu item for our Instuctors, that flies out to the right to sub-menu with say Cooking Class Instructors, and maybe I have 2 people on the next submenu. Now, how do I link that to the persons dedicated page in my site? Or simpler, on my menu I have a Contact Us, and I need it to bring up the Contact us page, how do I link that within sitebuilder? Hope you can answer this, thanks!
Photo of Fran0897

Fran0897

How wonderful. Thanks. And your site is great.
Photo of Robert3577

Robert3577

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
It sounds like this has been a real issue for a long time. Either they will truly address it or they will loose customers to other providers. (Which it sounds like they already have) The sooner the better, but from past performance it sounds like they make be following "better later than never attitude".
Photo of SisterC

SisterC

Yes, the drop-down menu debate has been going on for a long time. My own experience with Homestead has been good overall, with my only real complaints being this issue and the lack of mobile site optimization without hidden fees.
Photo of Gloria2691

Gloria2691

• 3,296 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I wonder how useful drop-down menus really are. This is a bit off topic but some articles that I have read tend to downplay their importance. Anyone have any ideas on the subject?
Gloria
www.thecatholictravelguide.com
Photo of SisterC

SisterC

I think that drop-down menus are most useful for those of us with multiple pages and levels of our sites. It does make it easier to organize categories, etc. Since my site is informational and not commercial by any means, I'm not sure what the effect of drop-down menus would be on potential customers.

Wonderful site, by the way. It's great to see all of the resources you have compiled. Merry Christmas!

Sr. Cecilia R.
Webmaster, Sisters of St. Joseph the Worker
www.ssjw.org
Photo of Stacy5509

Stacy5509

• 62 Points
Please add this feature as this gives our pages a more professional look. I would love to have this on my page as quickly as I can!!
Photo of shon8895

shon8895

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This should have been done years ago. Get with it.
Photo of Aubrie4741

Aubrie4741

• 386 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I really need this option. I have enough pages on my site that having individual links to each page makes it look crowded an unprofessional. I may try to experiment with code but I went with Homestead because I knew nothing about web site design and was looking for something menu driven that I could figure out. Please do consider adding this design option.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
This probably the most popular request and I've been informed that it is indeed on the road-map. Unfortunately we probably won't see any major SiteBuilder releases or upgrades released until next year.
Photo of Christine5515

Christine5515

Can you guarantee that this feature will be implemented next year?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Christine5515,  Unfortunately the answer is no.  Since Homestead was acquired by EIG, we have a lot of changes occurring in the background and a lot of the SiteBuilder updates or changes are being reevaluated. As a company we are still working on various systems migrations and other upgrades so that in the long term we can offer a larger lineup of products and services. Therefore we don't have any ETA on specific SiteBuilder changes.  If drop-down menus are detrimental, the best advice I can give is to code them in, or use a 3rd party system that creates the code. 

Mike
Photo of heino1970

heino1970

• 182 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have been asking for this for over 2 years to deaf ears. I am told either its to complicated for everyday users and thats why they dont have it, or I can install it myself. I can say that most of intuits competion offers this feature. I think eventually they will offer it or they will lose business. If its complicated then they should help,
Photo of JCBling

JCBling

Please list the competion that offers Drop Down menus. I would like to compare their features to see if they are better than what I have.

www.JCBling.com
Photo of madle5510

madle5510

JBling could you review my other post and give me instructions with creating the drop down using the program, I tried following your instructions it juist is too complicated I dont understand it.

Step by Steps would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks & Happy New Year
Photo of JCBling

JCBling

I will only take you so far, the rest is up to you and your efforts to perfect what works for you.

No matter what program you use, it requires 2 parts.

1.) Uploading a file to your root Directory.
2.) Putting HTML code supplied to the location on you page where you want the Drop Down menu.

Go to Open this in FireFox http://www.mycssmenu.com/.
A.) Click on Customize any of the menus you see.
B.) Click on File " Quick Publish"
C:) A Screen will Pop up. ---- Follow the instructions.

PS: Workiing on your Website requires dedication and hours of learning. The rewards are great if you are willing to seek alternative solutions that are short commings in a particular program.

Now that I have answered your question, Answer Mine.

You made a claim about Homesteads Competition. Who Are They?
Photo of madle5510

madle5510

That wasn't me who made the claim, but I do appreciate your help with this matter.. Thanks a million-Vince
Photo of madle5510

madle5510

what is the root directory in intuit? sry for all the questions
Photo of madle5510

madle5510

it still isnt working and I followed teh steps.
Photo of madle5510

madle5510

JBLING I followed all of the directions, I am still having no luck with incorporating a drop down menu navigation into my website, I am using site builder, I upload the ,js file to my files and place the tag in the head section, it still doesn't work.

Please help me get this resolved,
Regards,
Photo of shon8895

shon8895

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Try this site. This is what I had to use that worked after many attempts with different software. http://purecssmenu.com/ Register FIRST before you start building your menu, it says it will save after registration but it does not. I built my menu then put html source code into the html snippet of my site. That is it, nothing had to be entered into the "head tags". Worked for me.
Photo of Frank4732

Frank4732

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
shon8895, how did you link your menu selections to your sitebuilder pages. How do you know what those pages are called so you can plug them into the html code? For example, I have a Contact Us page, how would I know what to put in the Menu Link field to get that page to open when we can't see any of the sitebuilder html code?
Photo of Christine5515

Christine5515

Go look at Ecatholic.com for inexpensive website prep programs
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Thanks for sharing Christine5515,  That does look like a nice system.

Photo of Claudia4466

Claudia4466

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
It's (eCatholic) more expensive than Homestead, but if it WORKS the way we need it to, might be worth it for less aggravation. We're still paying the same amount, but we're totally on our own, these days; which is part of the reason I use Homestead. It is (WAS) pretty intuitive. Some of the 'new' things, make me wonder if we're not going 'backwards'. 
(Edited)
Photo of Lise9729

Lise9729

Another thread about this from 9 mths. ago states that if any of you have the store front option through Homestead, you do have the drop down menu option available.

Looking at the threads that are being followed by the Homestead employee listed at the beginning of this thread, there are between 1 - 7 posts on various topics and now 50 posts on this one subject and yet still no follow up answer from Homestead about this. I feel like we're just talking to each other but there's nobody home at Homestead. Sorry for the long rant- I'm just really frustrated with situation.
Photo of Angela W

Angela W

Hi Lise, I'm sorry you don't feel like we're listening. I do have quite a few comments to sift through to bring to our product development team and specifically this thread has a lot of action and I want to make sure our team has all the facts. It takes time to plan and implement this kind of change. I'll try to update more frequently but our next build cycle was planned months in advance. I will update this thread again but as of right now, this idea is still under consideration and not currently planned.
Photo of Lise9729

Lise9729

Hi Angela, Thanks for posting your reply. It really does help to know that we're being heard.

I understand that it takes time to make changes however, if you read through these posts, this issue has been asked for the last five years and maybe longer than that. So this isn't something that's been a frustration just since this thread started. I simply can't believe it takes that long for Homestead to include this issue into their build cycle. My concern is that months or more will pass and this still will not be addressed. I will be really helpful to continue to hear from you regarding the progress on this. Thanks!
Photo of Priscilla6380

Priscilla6380

• 182 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
If this has been requested for 5 years and is not currently planned, how do we not get the impression Homestead is not listening? I’m a newbie here myself and I’m surprised at the lack of support and the wrong information I’ve been given in a week and a half. I too would like to know who the competitors are.
Photo of madle5510

madle5510

somebody please help me with the instructions at the end of delux menu, this is like french to me, I'm really about to leave intuit because of this.
Photo of Fran0897

Fran0897

ok, i started with this particular round of communications 21 days ago! i'm seeing all sorts of responses, and unresolved challenges. why not just go to another company like go daddy? does anyone have experience with that that proves i should remain here...as my site is only in the beginning stages of design and implementation. thanks for the feedback.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.