Is this legit?

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archiving inactive content

Hi. I received the following e-mail and am wondering if this is another scam or not.

"Dear Manager,

(If you are not the person who is in charge of this, please forward this to your CEO,Thanks)

This email is from China Internet Service Provider, which mainly deal with the domain name registration in China. We received an application from Damai Co Ltd on March 18th, 2019. They want to register "(my website address)" as their keyword and China/Asia (CN/ASIA) domain names. But after checking it, we find this name conflicts with your company. In order to deal with this matter better, so we send you email and confirm whether this company is your distributor or business partner in China or not?"

Thanks in advance.

Photo of R.

R.

• 2,446 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 43,102 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hello,

Unfortunately, I do not know if this is a scam or not. If it is, it is not one I have seen before. It has nothing to do with Homestead.
(Edited)
Photo of R.

R.

Thank you, Elyzabeth.
Photo of r4117

r4117

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We did have an encounter with a company from China who had the same website address as ours (detective-hogan.com). We were told that unless we paid to register our website, China would continue to list their business.  We added a notation on our website and on the BBB website that we are not affiliated with ... from China.  We've had no problems since.
Photo of R.

R.

Thank you very much.  I like your website, by the way.  Very cool!
Photo of MapsMind

MapsMind

• 688 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hello,

I ́ve also received some emails from this kind of Chinese companies. Since the Internet in China is not the think we use to know here (due to heavy government regulations) some international rules and laws may not apply there. However, only if you are really interested in going to the Chinese market you should consider taking seriously that email. Sometimes are just scam. My recommendation is not to answer them, and obviously do not provide any bank/personal information neither make any payment. 

Regards,

Ricardo Calva
Photo of R.

R.

Thank you very much for your reply, Ricardo.  Your message confirmed what I had decided to do, which was to ignore that e-mail.  There was something about it which didn't sit right with me.  In the last few days, I've received about five e-mails from China advertising various products, so it seems that somehow I got on a list.  I figure that if I ignore them, then eventually they'll give up and go away.  Thanks again.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.