Is Aabaco a partner?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

Received an odd e-mail from Aabaco small business about 'terms of service/privacy change etc' and was just wondering if they were partnered with BC or HS? I do not have an account with them and they are mentioning Tucows and ICANN.

Just wondering...
Photo of S

S

• 6,760 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

• 32,264 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The Homestead guys should be around so will be able to advise
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

• 43,192 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I believe Drew might be gone for the day/weekend. You might give phone support a try 1-800-710-1998.

Hours of Operation for Live Support

Phone:
Mon-Fri 6:00am - 5:00pm MST(No DST)
Sat-Sun Closed
Chat:
Mon-Fri 4:30am to 1:15pm MST(No DST)
Sat-Sun Closed
Community:
Available 24x7
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

I looked Aabaco up and here's the scoop:

Aabaco Small Business from Yahoo is a company located in Sunnyvale, California, and offers a full range of small business services consisting of ecommerce, web hosting, domains, advertising, and local marketing.

So my guess is it's an advert for whatever they're peddling.
Photo of S

S

Yes, I do realize what & who the company is but they oddly sent the e-mail to an address typically used by HS & BC which raised this question (as they make it seem I have an account).
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

I misunderstood - I thought you were asking if they were a legit company.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Are they asking you about domain registration? They may be trying to get you to transfer the domain to Yahoo. Can you post the email so I can see what they are looking for. If we had a new partnership I would have expected to be notified, and I have not been.
Photo of S

S

Hello Drew -

Thank you for the follow up. Although we receive more junk mail than I care to see from solicitors, this one was a bit different in the fact that it was sent to an e-mail not associated publicly with any 'business' accounts except HS and BC. I even checked our registrations for both domains and neither show this as the associated e-mail.

They make it appear to be a current account which it is not (at least not through us directly). So here it is:

We've updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

Dear Customer,

We’ve been making some exciting changes to our services and as such have made some updates to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. These updates won’t fundamentally change the way you use our products, but we want to keep you informed of all changes.

Some key highlights:

• Our domain registrar partner is now Tucows (previously was Melbourne IT), so you may receive emails directly from Tucows.

• We are now giving you the option to receive notifications and SMS text message alerts on your mobile phones. You may opt-out of these communications, except for communications regarding your account, services, and the security of your account.

• The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) has implemented new regulations that will now require any change to a domain’s account information (name, email, address, etc.) to be confirmed by the domain’s registrant (owner). For all domains registered through Tucows, we will be acting as your Designated Agent, a role which authorizes us to confirm these changes on your behalf. Learn more about the new regulations.

Our updated Terms of Service and Privacy Policy are effective as of March 3, 2017, so please be sure to visit our Terms of Service Center and review the documents that pertain to your country. If you use any of our services on or after that date, you’re confirming that you’ve read and agree to the updated Terms of Service. If you have any questions, please visit our new support portal, Small Business Community.

Thank you for your continued loyalty; we look forward to continue serving your small business needs.

Sincerely,

The Aabaco Small Business team

Aabaco Small Business from Yahoo
701 First Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA 94089

Contact Us | Terms & Privacy

Per the Privacy Policy associated with your account and as a condition of account ownership, all service-related communications will be sent via email to your registered account email address. 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

We do not partner with them. BC has some apps from Yahoo, but nothing with the new company Aabaco. It might be a phishing email
Photo of S

S

How do you think they might have obtained that private email?

Additional Note: Although they sent this e-mail to an address we keep somewhat private, it was camouflaged with our storefront URL (not even the HS homepage).
(Edited)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Do you, or have you ever had a Yahoo account of any kind?
Photo of S

S

Not to my knowledge. This particular e-mail is very old (original at&t which was merged with a yahoo server 1-2 years ago) but never except for these two accounts (BC & HS) associated with the domain in any public way that I know of (or any account that would associate the two).
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Actually your comment of "public way" made me think. I did a whois search on your domain and you do not have domain privacy on the domains. An at&t email address is on the domains. This is public info that anyone can get. Is that the address that was used?
Photo of S

S

Lol...I do realize the listing (I looked at that the other day just to be certain) but the listings contain an e-mail address I do use more publicly associated with the domains and websites and that is the one typically used by marketers rather than the one used here....just saying
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I am not 100% sure how they could have gotten it, but neither BC nor Homestead would provide it to them. We have no partnership with them either. The email does seem like they have an account for you as they are telling you about policy changes. It is also possible that it is a phishing message meant to get a user name and password from you. I wish I could be of more help.
Photo of S

S

Appreciate the input and confirming they are not partners. I go with option 2 - how they got the connection is baffling.

Thank you again!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.