Interactive Card

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

Is it possible to put an interactive card (not a form) on the site which can be filled in by a client to add personal or business information?  I would like a greeting-sized sized card where information could be added on the front and back. I was thinking something written in html. Thank you.
Photo of Kenneth9111

Kenneth9111

• 1,342 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
  • Optimistic

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

• 32,264 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Ive been around website design for quite a while and not seen anything like you describe. Maybe a trawl through Google may throw up something you could adapt.
Photo of Kenneth9111

Kenneth9111

Thanks for the reply Brian.  Lots of websites allow people to design postcards online for printing and mailing.  I am just not sure if Homestead can accommodate it.  It would require html and perhaps some other coding. 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
As long as it is HTML it should work fine. You may also be able to create a pdf file to suit your purpose.
Photo of Kenneth9111

Kenneth9111

Thanks Drew.  I am going to see what I can do with html.  I am not sure how I could use a pdf to acheive this but will give it some thoght. 
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

Yep Kenneth I have used such websites myself but the entire website is set up for that sort of business. You can scroll through a blank card, change design, add text and finally order your card. VIstaprint produce business cards in the same way. But I have never seen a similar function on a website for someone to fil in with business and personal information. ( plus it would need to be a secure site/ page HTTPS. Or are you trying to "copy" that sort of function. That would take some major HTML,CSS and probably Java as well. IF you find it I would be interested to know so good luck
Photo of Kenneth9111

Kenneth9111

Hi Brian:  I may not have explained that well.  I would be asking for a company name, address, and a sales message, not any personal or confidential information.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.  But yes, you have cited the correct sources for what I am seeking. And I think you are also correct about the various codes mentioned. I am not sure html alone will do it, but I know nothing about how any of this works. Thankis for your input.  Will try to let you know how it works out.
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

Please do Kenneth, I am curious. I am studying coding(purely as a hobby) but will also have a look online to see whats around. Once the card has been completed, what happens to it then? Is it submitted to you.
Photo of Kenneth9111

Kenneth9111

I had totally forgotten about Envato.  I have an account with them.  Let me dig around there for a while.  Many of these are virtual and some of the templates are quite old but may be good just to see if the code will work. The process is this:  The client would see a postcard template on the site and would put business name, address and sales message in selected areas of the card on front and back. The card would be saved to their account. I would then download the card, adding recipient names and addresses to the card as they are being printed, Final step is a mail out..There is more, but this is the gist of it.  My problem is I know nothing of code, just that it's necessary.
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

Thats a great concept, as for HTML code, whenever I am looking at any code copied form the internet I always use a couple of websites to see how the code actualy works before I put it on my website. The easiest to use is http://htmledit.squarefree.com/
You just paste the code in the top dection and it shows you what it looks like in the bottom section. I can then edit it if I want to. THere is another website called jot form where you can create a form, but i think you have to link to your form from your website rather than copying the HTML oto your page which probably wouldnt suit your needs
(Edited)
Photo of Kenneth9111

Kenneth9111

Thanks for the tip and the website. Will definitely give it a try.  As I discuss this I am seeing how much more complex it is than I imagined.  I may have to scale my thinking back a bit and try something that Drew suggested, or a variation, i.e., pdf or maybe even download a MS Word file.  Thanks for this great tip though.  Wasn't aware of that site.
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

ni problem kenneth, part of the pleasure being in the forum is discovering new ideas and finding solutions

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.