Inserting an image freezes window and Sitebuilder

• Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We can unarchive this in the future if you wish.

Inserting an image in Sitebuilder freezes pane and Sitebuilder. Has to terminate the program and restart. This has started today. I cannot update my website anymore because of that. I tried it using Chrome, Iexplorer and Firefox...same problem.
Photo of andre1708

andre1708

• 1,496 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
  • anxious

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Which site are you trying to edit? Also, which page? How large is the file you are trying to add to the site?

Thanks

Drew
Photo of andre1708

andre1708

I am running Vista and working with a blank page or an existing page gives me the same problem. However, I just tried it again in my website: www.curlingvalleedelagatineau.ca at the Ligues page. This time the Browse screen came up ok. Then I decided to do a search for Flowers. A screen came up showing me a bunch of pictures of flowers. I selected one. The screen disappeared and another one came up with a line showing: Click here to return to Sitebuilder. From that moment on everything was frozen again and I had to terminate the program.
Sitebuilder is totally hectic in Vista. This is one of multiple problems I am encountering regularly.I have a NEtbook running Windows 7 and it is running ok.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi andre1708, I see you occasionally switch from SiteBuilder (desktop) to Sitebuilder Plus. If you use SB+, it's a good idea to stick with it as there are elements and functions that are not backwards compatible with the old Desktop version. Also, try using the Firefox browser. It tends to run a lot smoother than, the others.

Mike
Photo of andre1708

andre1708

Thanks, however, using SB+ I loose a lot of features. I find it restrictive in terms of features. I especially missed the Personal window of features
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Andre1708, The personal tab is the one feature that was removed. There were some pretty old widgets in there that wouldn't really compliment the new templates well. I don't know yet if the developers will come up with some new ones. However fortunately most of the widgets that were in there are readily available for free on the internet. Just do a search for things like: weather widget, hit counter, etc, and you'll find free html codes that you can easily copy and paste into the site.

Mike
Photo of andre1708

andre1708

Thanks. I will do that.
Photo of andre1708

andre1708

The more I use Sitebuilder plus, the more I get dissappointed by the amount of functionalities that are removed slyly on a regular basis. It looks as if Homestead wants to get rid of his current subscribers. As a former long time client of Homestead, I can guarantee you that I would have ceased my subscription with Homestead the day that it was sold to Intuit, if I could move my sites to another provider.
Here are my latest two deceptions:
On Sitebuilder Plus, the Site navigation menu only have two graphic options i.e. Text and imported image. The button and tab options have dissappeared.
Secondly, how can I select overlapped elements in order to group them? Easy with Sitebuilder, impossible with Sitebuilder plus.

Aren't Homestead respecting his contract with me by removing functionality like that?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Andre1708,

Sorry if you are having trouble with the new Sitebuilder, The developers did remove all of the "personal" elements and some of the buttons because they were very antiquated and did not go with the more modern templates, that were added to the Plus version. You can still use any image in the image library or import any 3rd party image (assuming there's no copyright) or navigation image you find on the net.

If you are having trouble doing something let us know. All though the Plus version looks simpler, it actually contains more functionality. The way you select multiple elements is exactly the same as the desktop SiteBuilder. Just hold down the Shift key and click to select the elements you wish to group. Once you have the selected just check the box on the right side that says "group elements".

Let me know if you are still stuck and we'll be happy to help you out.

Mike
Photo of andre1708

andre1708

I still don't know how to create Site Navigation menu with buttons links using Sitebuilder plus. This function still exist in Sitebuilder.

Moreover, I still cannot select elements hidden behind another element for the purpose of Grouping.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

If you want to use a button, just save the button image to your desktop or an easy to find location. Then when you are in the SiteBuilder click the Style tab as shown below, followed by the small blue box with the white arrow, and you'll be prompted to import the image/button.

If you are trying to group elements, you will first want to eliminate as much overlap as possible. But, if you have a smaller image covered up by a larger image you won't be able to click/select it. So, you'll have to re-layer the elements so that the larger images/elements are in the back. Then you'll be able to click on each image so that you can group them together.

To change the layer/order of your images, just do a "right-click" on the element and the menu that pops up will have options to change the layering.

Mike
Photo of andre1708

andre1708

OMG this is getting bad. First let me say this about the grouping of elements: Check this url into which there is an image that I cannot group. http://curlingvg.homestead.com/Femmes...
If you can group the images of the two curlers with the border around them, then I will have to admit that I don't understand your explanations.
Secondly, I tried to insert a button into a navigation menu but I cannot find a site where I can download buttons useable with the site navigation menu. I must have created hundreds of pages over the years using site navigation menu with buttons. Now all of a sudden, the feature dissapears without explanations. PLease give me a site where I can find buttons that I can use with Sitebuilder plus. Thanks
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

The problem you are having with the frame and grouping, is that the frame is a large image with a transparent center. So, even though you can see the images layered behind, you cant click on them. It's best to just not group the frame with the images.

If you want to frame those images, it's best to use the new frame element. If you click on an image, then click the Edit button on the right side of the SiteBuilder, you'll see that the new SB+ has an option where you can add frames and shadow effects to the image, rather than trying to layer another image on top.

If you can't find any navigation buttons that you like on the internet, you can use almost any image edting software such as MS Paint, paint.net, or even MS Publisher or Powerpoint to create any custome button/image you wish. Just save the image as a standard .jpg or jpeg etc. and they will work fine.

Mike
Photo of andre1708

andre1708

Thanks for your help and time Mike. However, please close this ticket because it is getting nowhere close to satisfactory for me. I understand that you have to deal with the drawbacks of SB+ and cannot change it.
I conclude that it is impossible to group a transparently bordered image in SB+.
I conclude as well that the feature of adding button menu of the Navigation Menu is not part of SB+. I am very familiar with Homestead since I have been using it for more than 10 years under two different accounts. I must have created so far 25 websites. However, although with my experience, I just don't understand how to move a button image into a Navigation Menu. My alternative is to go into Sitebuilder to create the button menu.

Of the many issues I have reported to Homestead, very rarely did I get a satisfactory answer. I got used to that over the years. Some of the issues have been having the status of Under consideration for so many months that I lost interest into following them. I suspect that Intuit does not even have a Development Team.
Please close this item. I do not want to spend time on it any more. I will live with it as is.
Have a good day.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I shall close this thread for you, and remove the incorrect posts in the other thread. We are sorry for the frustration.

Drew

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.