Image URL's in BigCommerce

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Recently I have noticed a change in Image URL's. I found one of my product images in search results not so long ago and the URL was not my domain but BC. Needless to say I was not pleased to see this and thought it was a fluke. (URL Image snippet below) - I also 'pinned' the image and it creates a 'link' to that image page (with BC URL) and has 'Visit cdn1.bigcommerce.com' as the website link on the Pinterest Pin.

So I moused over an image in my store and sure enough it shows a BC URL as the URL. I am not certain when this changed but it is certainly is making it very easy for image theft without any real way of tracking it.

On a product page it had been if you right clicked to 'open link in new tab' you would receive a garbage image (snippet below) - my immediate thought was Great! ...making it more difficult for the average person to 'borrow' images.

Today I opened the link in new tab and there was my image with a BC URL for anyone and everyone to 'share' or do whatever (without any association with my company or domain).

Not only am I not willing to advertise for BC, this is now an open door for theft and somehow not having my domain URL attached to that image seems like an infringement on my rights of ownership.

Not good at all - bad enough image theft cannot be fully controlled but this is an open door and a Huge problem.

Sally

Photo of S

S

• 6,760 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,826 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I am checking with Bigcommerce to see if there was a change. I will get back to you on this.

Thanks

Drew
If this post helps, please give me a "Star" and complete this survey to rate my performance.
Photo of S

S

Thank You - this is a huge problem.
Photo of S

S

Hello Drew -

Just thought I would follow up with a 'Help Doc' just found on BC (I don't know when this was posted but I can say I looked for information about the image URL's prior to posting my concern.

https://support.bigcommerce.com/quest...

I trust this maybe is referring to my question above? Recently I have sent out more 'Cease & Desist' letters than I have in years (which has prompted a call to my attorney for advice - an unexpected additional expense).

The document above also makes a statement that there will be a drop in Google Indexing images (which we certainly have seen) and I do not know if this is connected in any way, but Google Index for our site shows as of 2/23/2014:

Total Indexed - 9,906; Blocked by Robots - 9,572

I have reviewed BC docs on Robots.txt file and mine mimics their default (which they do not suggest any changes). There is a line for 'disallow: /productimage.php and trust that is still a valid 'disallow'. Below is a snippet on Google Index for the year and as you can see there is a significant change in 'blocked' (starting Jan 5, and not sure if this is due to the change in images or not - but confident these two lines should not be meeting:

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.