I'm receiving a missing active x prompt when trying to add a Facebook icon

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution or has become inactive.  If you believe this topic should not have been archived, please let us know, and we would be happy to review it.  You may continue to access this topic as needed fo

Every time I try to add the Facebook button to my site, it starts to lock up and I receive a missing active x prompt. What could be causing this?
Photo of Homestead FAQ

Homestead FAQ, Employee

• 41,656 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Homestead FAQ

Homestead FAQ, Employee

• 41,656 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
An ActiveX control is similar to a plug-in, it enables your browser to handle files and applications accessed via the Internet more easily. The ActiveX control must be downloaded and installed to your computer in order for certain features to work properly.

Our ActiveX control grants us limited access to your Windows Operating System. This standard access grant is used only to download and run files and applications offered via the Internet, and does not provide access to other files and applications stored on your computer.

Because our ActiveX control grants us access to your Windows Operating System, the ActiveX control must be certified by a third-party with certification privileges. Verisign, the leading Internet security provider, has certified our ActiveX control.

Once the ActiveX control is in place, we can use a lot of the code already 'built-in' on your machine to facilitate the download and use of SiteBuilder. Specifically:

• The download is smaller.

• The application runs more quickly.

The ActiveX control typically installs when you sign in to your website account or install and launch SiteBuilder, but sometimes things go wrong and it doesn't install.

If you've received the message "You are missing an ActiveX related file" and are unable to get the file installed, you'll need to install the file manually. Here's how to download and install the required ActiveX control:

1. Open a web browser (Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, etc.)

2. Click the following link to download the Active X File:

3. Active X File

4. If prompted, please save the file to your Desktop.

5. Note: Make sure not to save the file to a separate folder... just save it as-is to your Desktop. If you accidentally chose to Open the file, you'll need to re-download the file, this time choosing to Save the file.

6. Move the file to the appropriate system folder for your version of Windows, noted below:

• For Windows 95, 98, and ME: C:\windows\system

• For Windows NT, 2000: C:\winnt\system32

• For Windows XP and Vista: C:\windows\system32

• For Windows Vista 64-bit: C:\windows\syswow64

• Click Start to open your Windows menu.

• Select Run from the Windows menu.

• Enter the following, depending on your system, to launch a Command Prompt window.

• For Windows 95, 98, and ME: Enter command

• For Windows NT, 2000, XP, Vista, and Vista 64-bit: Enter cmd.

• Enter in the following location, depending on your system:

• For Windows 95, 98, and ME: cd \windows\system

• For Windows NT and 2000: cd \winnt\system32

• For Windows XP and Vista: cd \windows\system32

• For Windows Vista 64-bit: cd \windows\syswow64

• Enter the following: regsvr32 HS_live.ocx. Then, press the Enter key.

• Following the steps outlined above will manually install and register our ActiveX Control to your computer.

Hope that helps!

Did this answer help? If so, please mark 'good answer' below for other people to find this post. Also like us on Facebook and Twitter to learn more about how to grow your business.
    Photo of Kathryn0973

Kathryn0973

• 60 Points
    I tried this but it's still not working. I followed instructions to "Add Store to Facebook" and then it loops back to that page after logging into Facebook. I briefly see a reference to my FB page and then it disappears and I'm back to the button that says, "Add Store to Facebook." I've tried this dozens of times for months, to no avail.
    Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

• 28,258 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
    Hi Kathryn0973,

Welcome to the Community!

I'm sorry to hear of your frustration. I also tried syncing to Facebook, and was thrown into the loop. I since disconnected any Social Accounts related to Facebook and tried again and it started to go through the Facebook process. Please try syncing it again and let me know if it works.

Thanks,

Chris
    Photo of Angela W

Angela W, Product Manager

• 6,540 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
    Hi Kathryn,

It sounds like you're actually having trouble with the Add Store to Facebook part. If I understand correctly, when you click Add Store to Facebook- you log in to your FB business page and then it disappears. What happens when you log in to your FB business page first and then go to Add Store to Facebook?

Let me know if that's accurate and what you see.

Thanks,

Angela
    Photo of Gary1958

Gary1958

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
    Missing Activex file when trying to add a Pay Pal button..

I am trying to add a Pay Pal button and I am getting a message I am missing an Activex file. It takes me to Homestead website but I can't find anything about the Activex file.
    Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Community Manager

• 260,764 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
    Let us know if this helps

Thanks

Drew
    If this post helps, please give me a "Star" and complete this survey to rate my performance.
    Photo of Gary1958

Gary1958

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
    I tried the instructions posted here. I got a message: The module HS_live.ocx was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0X80040200
    Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Community Manager

• 260,764 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
    I did a Google search for that error, and it often seems to be related to User Access Control in Windows. Download the Active X to your desktop and then right click it and select Run as Administrator(note: you must be logged in as an administrator to do this).

Let us know if that resolves it.

Thanks

Drew
    If this post helps, please give me a "Star" and complete this survey to rate my performance.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.