I opened Sitebuilder this morning only to have it say that my local files had been deleted. Help!

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Sitebuilder Desktop local/published files deleted message UPDATE

I opened Sitebuilder this morning only to have it say that my local files had been deleted. I had to go through each one individually to say "don't delete." Now it says that none of my files have been uploaded. Now I am getting this error message on many of my pages: Sorry, services are temporarily unavailable. Homestead services have been temporarily interrupted. We would like to assure you that we are making every effort to restore service as quickly as possible. We know how much this inconveniences you and very much appreciate your patience." I waited on hold for 30 minutes and tried the chat unsuccessfully. Help!
Photo of Clairice2888

Clairice2888

• 894 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Connie7227

Connie7227

• 578 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
same problem here!  Error window once I did the individual "don't delete" to reopen builder was "...can not create directory for .... "  each file, page ~ everything!!!!
Photo of patti2506

patti2506

• 850 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Connie, me too. Another Homestead nightmare......Homestead just said was a probelm on their end. Unfortunately, they don't know when it will be fixed. Not a shocker....I am, in the meantime, staying logged in to that account in case I have to make changes.
Photo of Clairice2888

Clairice2888

Sorry others are having this issue too. But there is some comfort in knowing it isn't just me!
Photo of Bill5099

Bill5099

• 3,144 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
me too. i'm going through each and every file right now. you mean i won't be able to work on my site and all my files will be gone too?! what is going on here?! Drew!!!
Photo of Connie7227

Connie7227

I too will stay logged in just for the fact that I do not want to have to individually click on the  " don't delete" field to reopen builder!!!   Also - good thing I read this before making changes to programs on my computer in an attempt to get it working.  I did shutoff my virus/firewall program for a few mins but that was not a successful fix for the problems.  

Photo of Connie7227

Connie7227

to be safe ... I did a complete back up off my homestead site data / program data files on an exterior drive.  I have several sites and thankfully found this problem when opening the smallest of them.  At a glance it appears all the files are intact on my largest site.....  
Photo of patti2506

patti2506

No, your files aren't gone. This service is so horrible and unpredictable. However, the customers I still have on Homestead, the sites are so big, it would take me forever to rebuild them on another service and the customer wouldn't pay me. I mean, it's not their fault. Who knows what happened! I went thorugh every single file, chose Don't delete local copy, but now I can't publish. I think they shut off publishing until they figured out what happened. If you have your site open in desktop, just don't close it! Otherwise, you will have to go through the whole process all over again.
Photo of Bill5099

Bill5099

all of a sudden everything is working again. Drew?! where ru? what's the story here. redesigning my entire site. is there any way of getting rid of SIte Builder Plus? so annoying to go through this every time I log in and it makes me nervous. NOW, we have this with having to go through every single file? it took over a half an hour! please help.
Photo of Connie7227

Connie7227

I did open my builder after disconnecting from the internet - program did open fine without all the clicking needed to get by the "don't delete local copy" ... but back up your program data to be safe I think.
Photo of patti2506

patti2506

Can anyone else publish with the desktop version?  I get the "Internet connection Required" box and I am connected to the internet.
Photo of Bill5099

Bill5099

now all of a sudden its asking me to republish all over again!!! Drew!!!
Photo of Connie7227

Connie7227

I came upon this problem last night and did publish a few pages/files but not without considerable clicking .... on the "close" box of a "could not load directory" error window.  BUT **** when I repopened today those uploads last night are not recognized ... so that is a waste of time until this whole issue is resolved.

I am online with tech right now ... so far no valid solution and I'm on hold while he talks with someone higher up ... 
Photo of patti2506

patti2506

Ok, keep us posted! I was on the phone with tech support too, nice guy, and they said they elevated it, but we know how that goes. It's just so frustrating being at their mercy. If anyone from Homestead is reading our thread, you could at the MINUMUM post something in the system status blog. They just do not take ownership of anything.
Photo of William S

William S

• 18,878 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Connie7227,

I have refreshed your files, please see the article below about the current issue and the next step for the resolution. If anyone else has not spoken with a representative and the files refreshed, please see the post below so I can refresh the files for you. 

https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/sitebuilder-desktop-local-published-files-deleted-m...
Photo of Bill5099

Bill5099

i am on the phone with a rep right now. he is "refreshing" as we speak. this had better work!
Photo of Connie7227

Connie7227

As William S says above - my problem was solved after he "refreshed" my files at his end.  We quickly went through my largest and smallest web site , through desktop builder version, and it appears to be working correctly now.   THANK YOU William!
Photo of William S

William S

Connie7227,

Glad to hear it! Sorry for any inconvenience we might have caused on our end.  
Photo of Bill5099

Bill5099

spent over 2 hours on this. not cool. but Todd was able to work through it with me. it appears to be working fine. hopefully it does not persist.
Photo of Bill5099

Bill5099

now its not working again! 
Photo of William S

William S

What error is it giving you?
Photo of Bill5099

Bill5099

exact same thing as before. system asks me to delete or not delete ALL my local files and that the published copy has been deleted. i have to answer no to all of that. now all my files are sitting there again waiting to be uploaded. i already spent over 2 hours doing this with Todd on the phone with you chatting in his ear.
Photo of patti2506

patti2506

Connie, Bill, Clarice, can you send me your emails address?  to support@websforgood.com.  Thank you
Photo of Connie7227

Connie7227

hung up on a "publish" job ... used task manager to exit and will actually reboot my computer and retry????
Photo of William S

William S

You shouldn't need to reboot the computer, but if Sitebuilder froze during a publish, you can task manager to close and open it back up. Try publishing individual pages instead of entire site.
Photo of Connie7227

Connie7227

I did have to use task manager to exit - then shut down my computer (not a restart but total shutdown).  With the computer up and running I then disconnected from the internet and loaded sitebuilder.  It opened, no cliches, finished a few small updates to a page and then connected to the internet and published/uploaded the page .... appears to have published the page correctly.   The freezeup happened when I was trying to upload only one page that I had added 6 photos to - it had already been published and this was just an updated version of the page.  
Photo of William S

William S

Glad to hear it published okay. Let me know if you run into any other issues. 
Photo of Connie7227

Connie7227

I have to step away from this right now but to be honest I am very leery of opening the largest of my sites with the desktop sitebuilder (with over 10,500 files) while online.  I will return here with a post when I attempt working on the site - with an update as to what happened/happens!
Photo of Clairice2888

Clairice2888

Seriously? I am back to square one again!!! I am losing patience. I do not have all day to hit "don't delete!" Yesterday was a complete waste of my day. 
(Edited)
Photo of Bill5099

Bill5099

just follow my workaround exactly until they sort it out. do not have them refresh anything. waste of time and you will lose files. do not have them make you copy and delete your site files on your machine. that's an absolute waste and you will spend yet another day cleaning up their mess.
Photo of Clairice2888

Clairice2888

Okay, Bill, where can I find your work around? 
Photo of William S

William S

Clairice2888,

I have just posted an updated fix to the solution  in the article below. Please follow those steps for a resolution. 

https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/sitebuilder-desktop-local-published-files-deleted-m...

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.