I need to add a sitemap to my robots.txt file. If I can't edit it, who will add the sitemap?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

Google says add a sitemap to my website. Homestead says you can't edit your robots.txt file. How will I get a sitemap into my robots.txt file?
Photo of Leisa

Leisa

• 396 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

• 32,264 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Leisa. Once you have your sitemap saved you add it to your index folder in site manager. Here is the process explained fully. Hope it helps

https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/how_do_i_create_a_sitemap_for_my_website
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,826 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You can use that topic to add the sitemap. You do not need to edit the robots.txt
Photo of Leisa

Leisa

• 396 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I have created a sitemap and added to my file manager, I have also added a link for the sitemap to my homepage, and uploaded it to my Google Search Console; but Google wants a link to the sitemap in the robots.txt for best optimization. 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,826 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
From Google's site, you can use robots, or the Sitemaps tool. As you are not able to edit the robots.txt, you will need use the tool.

Make your sitemap available to Google (Submit your sitemap to Google) There are two different ways to make your sitemap available to Google:

Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

• 32,264 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I am not sure why you are getting this message. All I have ever done was create a site map, placed it in my index folder in file manager, published it and then tried Google again and it was recognised and noted. No llnks to home page, nothing like that.  The last site map I did on a website was only a couple of month ago so I am not sure why google is asking. Could you post a screenshot of Googles message once you try and verfy the sitemap.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.