I can't find my website on Google.

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archiving

I just finished published a new website and added keywords in the page description of each page. But when I do a Google search, my website doesn't show up. Did I miss a step?
Photo of cvnewcomers0339

cvnewcomers0339

• 340 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
All your pages are indexed in Google. What search terms are you trying to use?

Photo of cvnewcomers0339

cvnewcomers0339

Comox Valley Newcomers Club is a different site. I'm looking for Comox Valley Newcomers Alumnae.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

There is only 1 site on this account. Do you have another account? If so, log in to that account and post in this topic. I can see your account that way. Do not post your PIN or anything here.
Photo of cvnewcomers0339

cvnewcomers0339

I think I'm logged into the right account. For the Comox Valley Newcomers Alumnae. 
Photo of cvnewcomers0339

cvnewcomers0339

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Ok, I see. It can take some time for Google to discover your new site. It doesn't happen in a day or 2 usually. I have seen it take 10 months before.You can speed it up by using Google Webmaster Tools. This will ask Google to index the pages.
Photo of cvnewcomers0339

cvnewcomers0339

Didn't realize there was a waiting period. I need people to be able to find the site asap. I'll try the Webmaster tools. Thanks for your help, Drew. 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Yes. Google does not know all. They must find you by sending their bots around the web. New sites are harder to find because they do not have many links headed their way yet
Photo of cvnewcomers0339

cvnewcomers0339

Tried the Webmaster Tools and verification failed. It doesn't recognize me as the owner of the website. Ugh. What next? Is Homestead the owner?
(Edited)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

There are alternate methods to verify. Use the domain option and get a TXT record. Your domain provider is other. Then go to the domains tab in your account and Advanced DNS settings. Enter the record there and it should verify with no trouble,
Photo of cvnewcomers0339

cvnewcomers0339

I got a TXT record, though it took some clicking to find out where. When you say "domains tab" in my account, I'm not sure what you mean. I clicked Domains Manager but don't see an Advanced DNS settings option there. I've been clicking around the website and am not finding it. This is really over my head. :( 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

In your Homestead account. On the left there is a tab for domain management. If you want to post the record here, I can add it for you too.
Photo of cvnewcomers0339

cvnewcomers0339

google-site-verification=J6Y6KhOPLwnmLYc-ZTNKG2iRG7u0raaCXjoDHi54IM4

Is this it?
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

• 32,264 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Google would have asked you to imbed a small HTML code in the head of the index page so when they crawl it they will see the code and know your the owner. Its quite straight forward just go back to Google tools and look for site verification and it will lead you through the process. When you submit your website to other seaarch engines like BIng ( part of yahoo) they will ask the same. IT just a security measure to ensure yoou are the owner of the website.
Photo of cvnewcomers0339

cvnewcomers0339

I've been trying for the last two days to use this method and I keep getting a verification failed message. Then it tells me I've tried to many times and stops working altogether. Even today, the first time i went to the Google tools, it was telling me I've tried to many times even though I hadn't tried at all today and had event deleted the website info yesterday. 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I have added the TXT. Did you get this record before or after you deleted and added the site again? Google may have generated a new record.
Photo of Kate3827

Kate3827

• 70 Points
It looks like Google has verified me as the owner! Thank you! Do I need to do anything else? 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Great! In your Webmaster Tools account you should find a fetch as Google option. Click that to request they crawl your site.
Photo of Kate3827

Kate3827

• 70 Points

Is that under "Other Resources"/ "Structured Data Testing Tool"? I see a place to enter the website URL. Sorry, I really do need to be walked through every step of this. :)

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I am not quite sure where it is now. They tend to move things around, but it has always been called "Fetch as Google"
Photo of cvnewcomers0339

cvnewcomers0339

Found it though, again, a lot of clicking! I guess there's nothing to do now but wait. Thanks again for all your help!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Great! Yes, they will crawl it soon.
Photo of cvnewcomers0339

cvnewcomers0339

I already see it on Google. It's not close to the top, but it's there. Yay!!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Great! Unfortunately getting to the top is much harder. Good luck

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.