HTML Help! Can you help me troubleshoot my code (or 3rd party software)?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Doesn't Need an Answer
  • (Edited)
We frequently get questions with regard to troubleshooting HTML, CSS code etc. Our SiteBuilder software does provide the ability for users to import their own code but there are some limits to what we are able to troubleshoot. If you need help troubleshooting your own HTML, (or 3rd party code), you are welcome to post here and solicit the help from other community members. We will assist if your issue is specifically SiteBuilder related, but have to limit our involvement in other cases.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,478 Points 100k badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Sherry4521

Sherry4521

• 306 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Need HTML snippet from Master Page to sit on top of site pages.

We've placed code for a custom menu in an HTML snippet on the Master Page but it does not appear to respond to Element Layer Ordering. No combination of send to back or bring to front works on the Master Page or any other page.

swissridgedoodlesDEV.homestead.com

Any help you could provide would be appreciated.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

We can't troubleshoot 3rd party code but the problem can most likely be resolved with CSS coding in the head section.  I merged your post to this thread if you wish to solicit help from other community members.

Mike
Photo of Jim5136

Jim5136

• 264 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
HTML Not Working - what has changed?.

HTML code on our home page has stopped working. We link to a third party that has not changed anything. It has worked for several years  but now it is not. The entire right hand column of our home page, which used to show  linked reviews, is now blank. What has Homestead changed now to cause this failure? Has anyone experienced the same issue? We have tested with various browsers, turned off all firewalls and security settings, tried through a remote server hosted in another state, and none show the  linked reviews. Please help.....
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

What is the site name, and page name and location of this code. We'll take a look at it but if it's 3rd party code there may not be anything we can do but we'll look and see.

Mike
Photo of Jim5136

Jim5136

• 264 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
MedallionInspections.com, the far right column on the index page. FYI the code worked fine for years until recently it stopped working. So the problem I see is not a third party software problem but likely a change made by Homestead?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Sorry but we don't have the ability to troubleshoot that piece of code. It's dependent on information that is not on our system.   When did you notice this not working?  It has been quite some time since we've released any updates or changes on the Sitebuilder.

Mike

(Edited)
Photo of Bradly0690

Bradly0690

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
adding custom css.

So i'm attempting to add several external CSS files to my website. After a fustrating battle with the navigation menu, I finally got it working, however it only seems to load the CSS half of the time I load the page in mozilla but refuses to work in Chrome. I also am currently attempting a battle with an active button link to a form, which it doesn't seem to want to read my link the CSS file at all. my css for the navigation menu:

#nav {
    list-style:none;
    font-weight:bold;
    margin-bottom:10px;
    float:center;
    width:100%;
    }
  #nav li {
    float:left;
    margin-right:10px;
    position:relative;
    width: 145px;
    border-style: double;
    border-width: 10px;
    border-color: #590400;
    }
  #nav a {
    display:block;
    padding:5px;
    color:#fff;
    background:#a80800;
    text-decoration:none;
    text-align: center;
    }
  #nav a:hover {
    color:#fff;
    background:#025568;
    text-decoration:underline;
    }

/*--- DROPDOWN ---*/
#nav ul {
    background:#fff;
    background:rgba(255,255,255,0);
    list-style:none;
    position:absolute;
    left:-9999px;
}
#nav ul li {
    padding-top:1px;
    float:none;
    border-style: solid;
}
#nav ul a {
    white-space:nowrap;
}
#nav li:hover ul {
    left:0;
}
#nav li:hover a {
    background:#025568;
    text-decoration:underline;
}
#nav li:hover ul a {
}
#nav li:hover ul li a:hover{
    background: #025568;
    background: linear-gradient(top, #590500 0%, #CA1A11 100%);
    background: -moz-linear-gradient(top, #590500 0%, #CA1A11 100%);
    background: -webkit-linear-gradient(top, #590500 0%, #CA1A11 100%);
}

and the html code for that menu:

<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="files\CSS\navmenu.css" />

<ul id="nav">
    <li>
        <a href="index.html">Home</a>
    </li>

<li>
        <a href="about-us.html">About Us</a>

</li>
    <li>
        <a href="#">Teachers</a>

<ul>
            <li><a href="#">Instrumental</a></li>
            <li><a href="#">Vocal</a></li>
            <li><a href="#">Strings</a></li>
        </ul>

</li>
    <li>
        <a href="#">Our Products</a>
        <ul>
            <li><a href="#">In-Store</a></li>
            <li><a href="#">Teachers</a></li>
            <li><a href="#">Churches</a></li>
        </ul>
    </li>
    <li>
        <a href="#">Contact</a>
    </li>
</ul>

I also have the CSS file in the <head> tag as well, hoping that'll work, but alas I get nothing. Another trouble i'm having is that that navigating with this menu in other pages (i.e. the about-us page to the home page) will bring it to an homestead error page. I'm wondering if this has to do with it not being my main page site?

and here is my css for the email button:

.emailbutton {
    -moz-box-shadow:inset -2px -1px 2px 0px #fce2c1;
    -webkit-box-shadow:inset -2px -1px 2px 0px #fce2c1;
    box-shadow:inset -2px -1px 2px 0px #fce2c1;
    background:-webkit-gradient( linear, left top, left bottom, color-stop(0.05, #e6823a), color-stop(1, #853700) );
    background:-moz-linear-gradient( center top, #e6823a 5%, #853700 100% );
    filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(startColorstr='#e6823a', endColorstr='#853700');
    background-color:#e6823a;
    -webkit-border-top-left-radius:6px;
    -moz-border-radius-topleft:6px;
    border-top-left-radius:6px;
    -webkit-border-top-right-radius:6px;
    -moz-border-radius-topright:6px;
    border-top-right-radius:6px;
    -webkit-border-bottom-right-radius:6px;
    -moz-border-radius-bottomright:6px;
    border-bottom-right-radius:6px;
    -webkit-border-bottom-left-radius:6px;
    -moz-border-radius-bottomleft:6px;
    border-bottom-left-radius:6px;
    text-indent:0;
    border:1px solid #a84600;
    display:inline-block;
    color:#ffffff;
    font-family:Arial;
    font-size:24px;
    font-weight:bold;
    font-style:normal;
    height:100px;
    line-height:100px;
    width:150px;
    text-align:center;
    text-shadow:1px 1px 2px #99765e;
}
.emailbutton:hover {
    background:-webkit-gradient( linear, left top, left bottom, color-stop(0.05, #853700), color-stop(1, #e6823a) );
    background:-moz-linear-gradient( center top, #853700 5%, #e6823a 100% );
    filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(startColorstr='#853700', endColorstr='#e6823a');
    background-color:#853700;
}.emailbutton:active {
    position:relative;
    top:1px;
 }

with the html being:

<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="files\CSS\emailbuttoncss.css" / >

<a href="#" class="emailbutton">Email Us</a>

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Sorry, but we are not able to troubleshoot 3rd party code, but you are welcome to solicit help from others on this thread.
Photo of Bradly0690

Bradly0690

none of this stuff is from third party...it's all custom made by me. Are you saying your company that offers a product on html5/css site building can't troubleshoot basic CSS code?
Photo of Bradly0690

Bradly0690

all these problems that are being exhibited are through your sitebuilder software, not through other HTML/CSS programs. All of the above have been tested through sites such as fiddle before being put into your software.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Bradly0690,

Your own code is considered 3rd party. It's not really possible to compare Homestead's SiteBuilder to other applications as they are all created differently.  There is a lot of hidden code that SiteBuilder produces and it is sometimes possible that 3rd party code creates a conflict.   In most cases adding your own CSS does not create any problems. Our SiteBuilder is not specifically designed for coding a site with html5 or CSS.  It's really designed for those that do not know how to write code. For individuals that are well versed in writing code it simply gives you access to do so.

Mike
Photo of Dale7878

Dale7878

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
FlowPlayer.

I've pasted the java scripts into the head section of the page. I pasted the necessary code into the page "body of page" and I used the file manager to upload a folder named correctly with support files. I published and Nothing shows up! please help...
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Dale7878,  There is limited support we can provide when using a 3rd party service and 3rd party code, but, the first thing to check is that all the necessary files that you imported into the file manage are published.  When you open the File Manager scroll to the far right. The far right column will display which files are published or unpublished.

To publish a file just click on the file name, and then click the Publish button on the top toolbar.

Mike
Photo of Mos

Mos

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How to get response from an ajax call to retrieve a text file?.

I need to load some text files within jQuery dialogs. I don't know what webserver homestead uses or even if I can publish an asp.net website.
In summary how do I respond to an Ajax call in the back end.
Thanks,
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Community Manager

• 262,450 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Mostafa4306,

We are not able to help with specific 3rd party code, but if you can tell us your requirements, we may be able to point you in the right direction.  Java script should work in an HTML box.  Our server support .html and .htm pages only.

Thanks

Drew