How to add a chat forum to my homestead website?

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Give us a chat product that works with homestead. You used to have one

How can I add a chat forum to my website? Any third party apps that work well with homestead sites? Was thinking that adding Authpro might work but can't tell if that allows for a free chat forum for users or if it would require all users to pay to use it. My end goal is to have a homestead site with my content and a forum site link on it so that it looks like the forum part is part of the homestead site and then also a paid member area set up with authpro. My main traffic would come from the interest in the chat forum. I expect that I may need 2 third party apps to achieve this and that is fine. I just need them to be in the same price range as homestead and authpro. Any recommendations?
Photo of angela5374

angela5374

• 500 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Yes. It sounds like you need two separate 3rd party apps. There are a lot of different chat tools and forum/blog services available. You'll probably just want to surf the net and compare features to see which one meets your needs.
Photo of angela5374

angela5374

Thank you for replying Mike. I had discovered Authopro by a recommendation on here and plan on using them for the membership portion. So I was hoping to find another great recommendation on here for the forum portion. So far, all the affordable forum apps I have come across on search appear to be wordpress plugins. Are you aware of any forum apps that homestead users have successfully added to their site?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Blogger.com which is a Google product is a pretty good one and it's free so I would at least check it out to see if it meets your needs, but Wordpress is considered one of the best ones on the market.

Photo of angela5374

angela5374

What?????? Maybe I'm missing something here. I'm not looking to add a blog to my site and if I was, I would use the "add a blog" button on my homestead website account. If I wanted to go and use Wordpress and then purchase wordpress themes and plug-ins to make it into a website and then add a wordpress plug-in for the forum and membership part, ....then I would just drop my homestead website package and do that.

I am attempting to keep my homestead website and find a third party app to add to it to make it do what I need. Why would a Homestead employee recommend that I switch over to wordpress?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

I may be misunderstanding your question. It depends on what you mean mby Chat Forum. A forum is is typically something like Blogspot or Wordpress. If you are looking for very simple quick blog option that you can add to your site in seconds, then the one built into SiteBuilder is a good choice. If you need a more robust blog that allows for unique username/loggin's etc. then you'll want to look at a 3rd party option. Again, the best thing to do is make a list of the requirements or features you need and then compare all the options.

If you are actually looking for a Chat service then we you would have to look for other options.
i would like my customers to be able to chat with each other through my website, is that possible at all?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

We currently don't offer a live chat function, however there are many of them on the market. Most of them can be integrated into just about any website by just embedding some html code. Just do a google search and you'll probably find dozens of options.

Mike
Photo of patricia2186

patricia2186

• 272 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This is not helpful. What she was looking for (and what I am looking for) is a free chat that works with homestead. Admittedly I am not the sharpest tool in the box but I have spent hours trying to find one that actually works with homestead. Can't homestead do the research and just tell us what products actually work with it? Because I have tried 3 of them now and they all have problems, i.e. work sometimes, don't work other times.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.