How do I voice my complaint with regard to the email service?

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: This topic is being closed as it has covered too many different issues, that are largely resolved. It has grown to the point that valid information has become too difficult to locate. Feel free to post a new question if necessary.

If you would like your voice to be heard you are welcome to voice your complaint here. If you do have questions on our email service or other products feel free to post to the relevant threads.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,578 Points 100k badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Kathy Wildman

Kathy Wildman

• 3,278 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I am still getting occasional server errors and none of the spam gets trapped in the spam folder. There is still MUCH more spam than was ever experienced with the Intuit service.
Photo of Debbie7026

Debbie7026

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I just started to get a TON of spam again. What's going on? Did you change something again?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,558 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
We have not made any changes to the incoming spam filter for some time now. This is more work being done on the outgoing servers and outgoing spam filter first so that we can assure that legitimate outgoing emails are released without being blocked. There will not be any significant changes to the incoming filter until the outgoing is further refined and then the settings will basically be mirrored.

Mike
Photo of Debbie7026

Debbie7026

How do you explain the increase in spam then over the last couple of days if your folks haven't made any changes?
Photo of Mike0785

Mike0785

• 226 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Mike or Drew, I weathered through the email disaster and only had issues for less than 2 weeks. things have been running fine for several weeks now.

However, starting about 5 days ago, I have started getting huge amounts of penis and breast enlargement spam. I usually get around 25-50 every night sometime after midnight and up until about 9 AM. I didn't get these before but am getting them now.

Can you do something to stop this craziness???

If you need more detail, please email me.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Debbie7026, and Mike0785,

We have done an extensive amount of research over the past few weeks based on the new systems we have in place (and continue to work on). We do know that the incoming spam filter is not as restrictive as the outgoing, but that will change in the coming weeks. At this time our goals is to make sure that people are getting legitimate emails. Drew and I, (and our email admins) have researched dozes of individual accounts and have found no problems. The issues tend to be at the account level where peoples emails have hacked, spoofed, ended up on spam lists, etc. For any issues specifically concerning the amount of incoming spam, if you've noticed an increase, it's possible that your email has ended up on some spamming lists. We are not ignoring this and when our incoming filter is updated at some point, you should see a decrease in spam.

Mike
Photo of Mike0785

Mike0785

• 226 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The amount of penis enrichment spam is increasing. Last night got over 100 such spams. I was not getting an until November 4th. I do not get any other spam through homestead.

Please do something to stop this crap.
Photo of Amanda7825

Amanda7825

• 174 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I too am getting upwards of 100 spam emails per day. I junk every single one of them but the spam filter does not work at all. When will this issue be fixed?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Amanda7825, We would like to analyze these emails. Do you still have them in your inbox on the Hmail system? if so we would like to log in and take a look but can't do so without your permission. Reply here if it's ok for us to change your password so we can log in, or, if you want to send us your PW I'll send you a private email.

Mike
Photo of Amanda7825

Amanda7825

• 174 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Mike,
There are a couple sitting in my inbox and you can still see 155 sitting in my Junk email box. You have my permission to log in. Please send me a private message and I will give you my password. Thanks.
Photo of Susan1730

Susan1730

• 60 Points
Im having the same problem, Im sick of seeing perverted emails to enlarge the male, I get over 100 a day Im ready to delete my email altogether
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,646 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I do apologize. We are continuing to explore ways to improve this, unfortunately, so far, we have not found a way with the temporary spam filter.

Drew
Photo of Dee Dee0596

Dee Dee0596

• 2,902 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Mike, the issues are NOT fixed. I got server errors and slow service all day yesterday. My deedeeking@genealogyfinder.com email is still receiving lots of spam. It never stopped. I have 522 spam messages in my two main accounts. How many times does your spam filter have to receive Pure Garcina, Ashley Madison, Angel Light, Match, Debt Consolidation, ad nauseum for the *&^% filter to work?!?!

I have to call in today to discuss renewing my subscriptions for my three accounts. This is a horrendous ongoing mess!
Photo of John0701

John0701

• 2,392 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I had issues yesterday too but not quite as bad as yours. Just some error messages and very slow. Thankfully I have not had to deal with the Spam like so many others.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Dee Dee05696, We understand how frustrating this is. We have not made as many changes to the incoming filter at this time as compared to the outgoing filter. We realize that it is not as restricted as it should be, but that will change in the coming weeks, as we make more upgrades to our system. This really will take several weeks as we have mentioned on other threads. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Mike
Photo of Dee Dee0596

Dee Dee0596

Mike, a week later and still the same problem! How many times does your "filter" have to get these put into the spam folder before the filter works??Pure Garcinia, Black Friday, Ashley Madison, Vydox, Mr. Lid, Angel Light, Cognizine, Business Phone systems, etc. - all repetitive from their respective senders. And why is the spam filter working better on my forensicgenealogyservices.com account and getting worse on the genealogyfinder.com account, with virtually no problem on my other two accounts? I called in last week to renew, which I still do not feel good about. I was transferred to a second tier technician who flat out lied and said he'd personally check out my issues and get back to me by end of business that day. It's all just BS, Mike. Homestead tells us it's fixed, then when we prove it isn't, there is some excuse, then new stories, and your second tier people don't do what they promise.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Dee Dee0596, I'm very sorry if you were misinformed, or someone said they could fix the issue. As I mentioned above, we have not made any changes to our incoming spam filter for several weeks. We realize that this is an inconvenience for some of you but the incoming mail is not yet being scanned by the same filter as the outgoing mail. The outgoing spam filter is far more complex and will do a much better job. The incoming mail spam filter will not be changed until all accounts are converted to our new email platform. Details here: http://hmailupgradefaq.homestead.com/

The current incoming filter lacks the same degree of sophistication as the outgoing filter so if we increase it to where it blocks more of the spam, it will also block too many legitimate emails.

The best resolution that I have at this time is to set filters in your email program so that anything comming in with the words you mention above, are routed to your junk/spam folder.

Mike
Photo of Dee Dee0596

Dee Dee0596

Mike, this thread does have a message in which we are urged to use the spam button to move spam to the folder so that the new filter will "learn" and "fix" the problem. I don't see anyone here complaining that they are sending spam. We are receiving spam. You filter is so primitive that is does not recognize thousands of spam email for very specific words like cognizine, vydox, angel light, etc.?

And I am getting slow server and server error messages again this morning....
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Dee Dee0596, sorry for the confusion, this is an old thread and a lot of things have changed over the last several weeks. Because of some of the changes we've made, that spam button has no affect at this time. I don't know if you've had a chance to read through all the posts, but we have stated several times that this total change over is going to take several weeks and that has not changed. We are now in the early stages of moving all email accounts to the new OX system which will utilize a more strict filter. This will drastically reduce the amount of spam that some of you are receiving. Here's a link to the announcement.https://community.homestead.com/homes...
Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

• 332 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Well, looks like we're back to where we were a month ago. Unable to send email without an error, spam and now Zimbra says under the login that:

"We're in the process of upgrading to a better email system. If your email has been upgraded, log in here."

How the heck do we know if it's been upgraded? IS homestead still upgrading or did the same people doing healthcare.gov start working here? I don't say that as a joke, I'm seriously concerned because in this very thread we were told the upgrades were completed but there were spam filter work to be done etc...

My renewal is coming up in 2 weeks, it's almost like Homestead WANTS people to move someplace else, I have never seen until healthcare.gov such shoddy work.

Here is a shot of the "new" login screen.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Eric5228, that is not a new log in screen. That has been in place for years.
If you are having problem sending emails fill out the form here: https://community.homestead.com/homes...

Mike
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

If you are referring to an email that you just received, and you read it closely, it is only an informative email telling you that will will be launching a new system. It does not state that you have been upgraded. We are just giving everyone a heads-up notification so that everyone knows there are more changes coming.

Mike
Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

Mike, I never said I was upgraded or not upgraded, the login screen ASKS ME if I have been upgraded to LOG IN HERE. The login screen is the same yes, the note about upgrading to a better email system is NEW, I have not seen this up until yesterday, I know this because I use it daily.

My question was and I'll quote "How the heck do we know if it's been upgraded?" Since the LOGIN SCREEN IS directing me to click a link if I have been upgraded.

I have not received any informational emails about bupkiss, I at this time since I get no notifications I can only go by when it works or doesn't work which is daily becoming a crapshoot, today is yet another day where it takes multiple attempts to send an email.... fill out the form? Good grief... as if that makes a difference anymore, it's been well over a month, you'd think your technical people would have a grasp on whats going on with this new system that has changes coming, yes?

There are more changes coming, for instance? What else can be changed since everything is supposedly new? What else do we have to wait for?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You'll receive an additional email before your personal account is upgraded. The email you received should have had a link to this site in it: http://hmailupgradefaq.homestead.com/
Did it not contain the link?

Mike
Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

Another day, more spam... this time with the Buddah virus attached, that was a nice touch. If anybody gets an email with a subject line "Voicemail" with the same name zip file attached make sure to delete it. I tested in a VM and it's a nasty little bugger.
Photo of Kathy Wildman

Kathy Wildman

I have anew spam issue:

X-Authority-Analysis: v=2.1 cv=eMiA0hZ1 c=1 sm=1 tr=0
a=iizoLheabcBzgI6+QiqEXg==:117 a=iizoLheabcBzgI6+QiqEXg==:17 a=BY6i1VJ7AAAA:8
a=f5113yIGAAAA:8 a=q8hysV5gnMkA:10 a=FKkrIqjQGGEA:10 a=PU1ImEV-w24A:10
a=ALA1aTIfF6QA:10 a=IkcTkHD0fZMA:10 a=vRA0tpFrAAAA:8 a=69EAbJreAAAA:8
a=ByGwvBGr4QgA:10 a=qI-sqkvjAAAA:8 a=qrFA_WvyAAAA:8 a=AAvYLDLOAAAA:8
a=_4WnvDg2AAAA:8 a=HqGUAKBIbUCTenWkaxgA:9 a=oQGh9eeDZ9xyZS7Q:21
a=WOdYaPyv-huzY1GR:21 a=QEXdDO2ut3YA:10 a=Vl75C_px5OYA:10 a=O7t2eAfEYYUA:10
a=4UYxlRuefCMA:10 a=bdmcM0_chmsA:10 a=s2loLT2QvaoA:10
Received: from mail10.homesteadmail.com (unknown [10.100.114.6])
by smtp3.homesteadmail.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4B5DD32F379
for ; Tue, 5 Nov 2013 08:26:28 -0800 (PST)
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 08:01:36 -0800 (PST)
To: dirtbigr3@hotmail.com
Message-ID:
In-Reply-To:
Subject: Re: Frank Hoffman - cannot match payment to order
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
X-Originating-IP: [98.236.22.76]
X-Mailer: Zimbra 7.2.0_GA_2669 (ZimbraWebClient - FF3.0 (Win)/7.2.0_GA_2669)
Photo of Kathy Wildman

Kathy Wildman

The order never made it to my inbox Oct 7 during the big meltdown and I only learned of it because I got the payment now I have heard from the customer but cannot forward the correspondence from October to her. I wonder how many other orders never came to my inbox. Very expensive fiasco. At a very busy time of year. First Do No Harm as I fear another meltdown at the peak Christmas sales season.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Kathy, can you tell us more about the error message posted above. Did you get that when you tried to email someone? If so what address where you emailing from and what address where you sending to?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Kathy Wildman, If you have not fill out out the form on this thread please do so. https://community.homestead.com/homes...
Please include all the information if possible. The original email is important unless there's something confidential you can't share.
Photo of Kathy Wildman

Kathy Wildman

X-Authority-Analysis: v=2.1 cv=eMiA0hZ1 c=1 sm=1 tr=0
a=iizoLheabcBzgI6+QiqEXg==:117 a=iizoLheabcBzgI6+QiqEXg==:17 a=BY6i1VJ7AAAA:8
a=f5113yIGAAAA:8 a=q8hysV5gnMkA:10 a=FKkrIqjQGGEA:10 a=PU1ImEV-w24A:10
a=ALA1aTIfF6QA:10 a=IkcTkHD0fZMA:10 a=vRA0tpFrAAAA:8 a=69EAbJreAAAA:8
a=ByGwvBGr4QgA:10 a=qI-sqkvjAAAA:8 a=qrFA_WvyAAAA:8 a=AAvYLDLOAAAA:8
a=_4WnvDg2AAAA:8 a=HqGUAKBIbUCTenWkaxgA:9 a=oQGh9eeDZ9xyZS7Q:21
a=WOdYaPyv-huzY1GR:21 a=QEXdDO2ut3YA:10 a=Vl75C_px5OYA:10 a=O7t2eAfEYYUA:10
a=4UYxlRuefCMA:10 a=bdmcM0_chmsA:10 a=s2loLT2QvaoA:10
Received: from mail10.homesteadmail.com (unknown [10.100.114.6])
by smtp3.homesteadmail.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4B5DD32F379
for ; Tue, 5 Nov 2013 08:26:28 -0800 (PST)
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 08:01:36 -0800 (PST)
To: dirtbigr3@hotmail.com
Message-ID:
In-Reply-To:
Subject: Re: Frank Hoffman - cannot match payment to order
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
X-Originating-IP: [98.236.22.76]
X-Mailer: Zimbra 7.2.0_GA_2669 (ZimbraWebClient - FF3.0 (Win)/7.2.0_GA_2669)
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Kathy, Thanks for providing the error messages and email addresses. I am not seeing anything in either one that confirms a problem. There's a chance it could be something in the original email message itself. If you click the link in my previous post above, it will take you to an online form. If you can resubmit the information including the actual outgoing email message we can analyze everything together and if possible get it to our other email admins. Thanks
Photo of Mary2495

Mary2495

• 244 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I wonder if there is a difference between Apple users and others? Do you know if there is something I can do as an Apple user to protect myself? More spam today then the day before. 30+ days now with no relief, no help from Homestead even though I've spoken directly to tech support and supervisor. Nothing. And worse, nothing at all from management. Yeah. As the previous poster said, it seems as if Homestead wants us to leave. I have never see anything like this in my life, which is long and storied.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

It doesn't matter if you are an Apple user at all. The amount of spam that some people are getting is largely dependent on how many spammers have your address in their list. I depends on how well you've protected your address over time. Have you signed up to things online, does your domain name have the privacy feature turned on which blocks your personal information, on all of the Whois websites. There are many many more possibilities. Once your email address has been widely distributed to all the spammers it's very hard to stop.

As we have mentioned in the past, we are still doing some work on our email and spam system. The amount of spam that you are currently receiving will be reduced when we make the final adjustment, but it will still be a few weeks.

Mike
Photo of Mary2495

Mary2495

Mike: I never had any spam at all in my inboxes until you did your deeds there at Homestead at the beginning of October, so there is some causality on your end, no? I guess if you are taking no responsibility I can't expect help from you, yes? Or will you look into my account please now?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

The issue with incoming spam, is not an account specific issue. There's nothing to research on your account. It is a combination of the filter we currently have in place and how many spam lists your email address is on. As we improve the spam filter, it will eliminate much of the spam, but we don't have a way of removing your email address from the spammers lists.

Mike
Photo of Mary2495

Mary2495

Mike: I know you can't remove addresses from spam lists and I am sure it is on many lists as I have used this address for 20 years. The point of filters is to filter the spam which was being done perfectly until Homestead zigged when it should have zagged. I want you to pay attention to my account specifically and filter the spam there, specifically, right now. Can you do that please?
Photo of John0701

John0701

Mike, above you stated "does your domain name have the privacy feature turned on which blocks your personal information?" How do we find out if the privacy feature is turned on?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You can use a site like http://who.is/
Just enter your domain name in and it will pull up the registrar details. If you can see your name, address, phone number, email address, then you do not have privacy activated.

It would show up under the "Administrative Contact" details.

Mike
Photo of John0701

John0701

Thanks for the info. I found all my information listed. When I put in to list who the Domain provider is, it lists Homestead. Are you able to change the privacy settings for me since Homestead is the domain provider? Or can you tell me how to activate privacy? Thanks.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Mary 2495, There is not a way to adjust the filter for a single email account. All customers email runs through the same filter. There is a trade off between making it more restrictive and then losing some legitimate emails, or loosening it up and having people get flooded with spam. The setting that we have it at right now has not changed for a few weeks, but with more changes coming for the next several weeks, this will change.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Yes John, It gives you the option to add it when you register the domain. There's a $1 cost per month for the privacy, but we can add it if you wish. Just reply here with the domain name you want it added to if you would like us to add it.

Mike
Photo of John0701

John0701

Sorry, must not have seen that about privacy when I first signed up. That would be great if you could add that for me. It's FirehouseMoustacheWax.com
Thanks!
Photo of John0701

John0701

p.s. Thought I would let you know every time I've sent an email today it gives me the option of "send error report." Usually after 2-3 tries it will go through. It appears the emails are being sent once they finally go thru.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi John0701, I can go ahead and add the privacy for you, but to be clear, this does not mean that you'll be removed from spam lists. This can help in the future from so many people harvesting your information and getting added to new lists though.

Regarding your second message, there was a short period yesterday where one of the servers was pretty busy and is probably the result of it the messages not sending on the first try. If that persists, please let us know.

Mike
Photo of John0701

John0701

Thanks for adding the privacy. Appreciate it. I actually have not had much issue with spam (hoping I didn't just jinx myself by saying that) so hopefully adding the privacy will keep it from ever being an issue. Thanks for the info. Also, I had trouble sending all day/night yesterday and several other times throughout the week, but will let you know if I have issues sending today.
Photo of Jessica9989

Jessica9989

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Mike - You refer in your response to John here about the privacy not removing him from spam lists. What I want to know is how the heck we got on spam lists in the first place??!! This is my business website and email. I have never received spam to this email address until the changeover of the system. Now I receive at least 20 spam emails per day and I'm not even sure I am receiving my business email!! Were our email addresses sold to these spammers by Intuit? I repeat, I NEVER received spam until now. My business email should not be on spam lists!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

If you don't have privacy they can mine your domain name. Even if you do have privacy on the domain, your email is out there. You might have it on your site. You probably have it on any printed material. You have entered it on websites. Did you read their privacy policies entirely? If you read Intuit's and Homestead's we do not sell our customers information, but somewhere you got on a list.

We understand the incoming spam has been worse that previously. That is a temporary measure while we migrate to the new email platform. The next higher setting was determined to be blocking far too many legitimate emails, so this setting will have to suffice until your account is migrated to the new email program, included is the new spam filter, which currently filters your outgoing mail, but is not applied to the incoming.

Drew
Photo of Jessica9989

Jessica9989

I think that you missed what I said. I NEVER received spam before the system was changed. I do not enter my business email online because I don't want to have spam in my business inbox. I have a different email for online things. This new system that Homestead has obviously opened our inboxes up to spam. Plus, what is the point of filtering my outgoing mail? I am not spamming people, but I am getting severely spammed and it is ticking me off!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I do apologize, as stated, it will be a while longer before we have everyone moved to the new platform. That should resolve the issues. The current filter is simply limited and a stop gap measure during the migration. The original filter is no longer available to us.

Drew
Photo of Kathy Wildman

Kathy Wildman

I too have had an error report for nearly every e-mail today. It does go thru with 1-4 at the most attempts. At least it leaves ... I hope it gets to my customer. I am so worried about lost sales in November and /December. I thought you had fixed the problems. Was I a fool to show loyalty and give you time to fix the problems. I have been with Homestead since 1994. I know I am an old dog who does not handle new tricks well but I am Very worried.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Let us know if that problem is still going on. There was a period yesterday where one of the servers was very busy and caused this problem but it was resolved.

Mike
Photo of computare

computare

• 326 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I suspect that the spam filter is still blocking some bona fide email addresses. We are an accountancy firm and regularly (used to) receive tax code updates for employees. This stopped on 18th October, which is incredibly unlikely. We called HM Revenue & Customs and they tell us that everything is operating normally at their end.

Is there any way that you can check to see whether the following email address is being blocked? noreply@hmrc.gov.uk

I have added it as a trusted address.

The emails are not being send to spam as I have checked this on Homestead and Windows mail. I think they are being stopped by the new spam filter.

It is extremely important that we get this resolved quickly as the notifications have an impact on the amount of pay that an employee receives. Can you imagine the chaos.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Good morning, Are you forwarding your hmail back out? If so, please remove the forward and see if the message arrives in the inbox. Our new reputation based filter is only operating on the outgoing servers at this point, however, if you have an auto forward, I understand why those messages will be blocked. The sending domain, hmrc.gov.uk, has over 600 different IP addresses sending mail. These servers appear to be all over the place and many have an absolutely horrible sending reputation. This is usually an indication that their system has, in some way, been compromised, or they are in fact guilty of spamming.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of computare

computare

Hello Drew

I am not using a forwarding option at all.

I get a feeling you might be 'barking up the wrong tree' with regards to HM Revenue and Customs being spammers. They are in the serious business of collecting taxes!!

Do you have a solution?

Kev
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,676 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Unfortunately, I am not. They may have been hacked or spoofed, but look at the image below. That domain shows 621 different IP addresses owned by loads of different people.

If you see the sender score I circled, anything under 80 is bad, below 70 is very bad and likely to get blocked by many different providers. In the case of this domain, I can page through and see many scores in the single digits. They will need to clean their reputation. This is the only solution.

Drew
Photo of computare

computare

Does this mean that all spam filters will block HMRC?

I agree that there are a lot of spoof emails being sent by people pretending to be the tax office but this presents us and HMRC with a huge problem. I am not sure that there is a way around this as these spammers will always attempt to fool the public into parting with their money.

Should I forward the information you have given to me to HMRC to see what they make of it?

Kev
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Not all spam filters are reputation based, but it is considered the best current method of spam management and growing across the web. While there may be some that will work now, they may not for long, there is no way to know. Also, different reputation based systems may treat a specific domain differently.

I know I am not giving you much definitive information, but the best possible solution is to give this information to HMRC and see if they can begin the process of improving their reputation.

Sorry, that is the best advice I can give.

Drew
Photo of computare

computare

We telephoned the HMRC online team earlier today to see what they could do and although they haven't reported back yet we have just received an email from their suspect address. Perhaps they have been able to correct a fault at their end.

Thanks for your help with this one.

Kev
Photo of Karen5787

Karen5787

• 1,322 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
The problem with the spam had gotten much, much, MUCH better by late October, but suddenly I'm getting gobs of spam again.. What is going on now?

There's also an issue with my hmail when trying to reply to anyone. It comes up with an error message saying it can't send my message. This isn't a huge problem for me because I'm only using the Zimbra hmail program to filter out the spam, then I pull in the good stuff through my Outlook.. But just thought this be something you need to be aware of.

My junk box on my hmail program has 1545 spam emails in it, and that's only since around Oct.1, as I don't normally even use hmail..I only started using it since this spam problem began... And that isn't even the whole story, as I was originally trying to block all of the spam using my Outlook program until it just became impossible, so add another 500 or so to that number.. That is a ridiculous amount of spam to have to filter through in a little over a month!

This is the Christmas season, and I am so busy, I just do NOT have time to filter through spam like this... I thought the problem had been solved. Now what???
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I am sorry about the spam. The spam filter on incoming mail is not the new one. It is a temporary measure with limited capability. If we make it more restrictive then we found it to be blocking large numbers of legitimate emails. The new spam filter, that is on outbound mails will be applied to the new email platform, once we have completed the migration. Unfortunately this will be a while longer.

What happens when you try to send mail?

Drew
Photo of Karen5787

Karen5787

• 1,322 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
More restrictive than blocking emails with subjects lines that say
"enlargement supplements", "an extra inch and you become the love guru", "playboy playmate revealed", on and on and on.. If the "temporary" spam filter can't filter that, what can it filter? I'm so disappointed in homestead.. It's my busiest time of the year and I'm having to spend all this time weeding through this crap just to find real customer questions.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Karen5787, I realize how frustrating this is. I am not, promising any changes but I have communicated this issue to our email admins for consideration to increase the restrictions on the spam filter. I am confident they have already tested various levels and it may be unlikely that they make any changes until all the email accounts have been converted to the new email platform.

Mike
Photo of Debbie7026

Debbie7026

Can you give us an ETA on when this will be fixed? Even with all the penis enhancement emails going to my spam file, I still have to weed through the spam file in case something real gets put there. Enough already. You guys seem to be working at a snails pace. This has been going on for months as you know. Do you have any programmers dedicated to this issue or are they working on this when they get time? It shouldn't take this long. I was in the software business for 20 years and I can tell you something this simple would never have taken this long. And our Management would have been all over this, including talking to our clients.

Please reply with a timeline. Also, please have your directors or VPs or better yet, the CEO talk to us. I think a video conference is in order now and it just seems like the upper management doesn't really give a rip that we are having these problems. Basic risk management techniques show that attention by Management can go a long way to diffuse anger. Right now, it feels as though no one cares at all about our businesses.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

The current incoming spam filter is limited in its capabilities. We attempted to move to it's next level of filtration which drastically reduced the incoming spam, but also blocked way too many legitimate emails, so we have to leave it on this setting. The new incoming spam filter is applied to the new email platform. The move to the new platform will begin this Monday, the 18th. When your mail box is moved, then you should see a drastic reduction in spam messages.

The new filter will not be applied to the old platform, so the migration will be the solution. The migration is expected to take approximately 2-4 months to complete everyone, but can't be pinpointed. You will receive an email about a week before your domain is done, and another when it has completed. I am sorry it will take a while, but the volume is tremendous, and you never know what issues may arise while in progress. You should not experience any interruption in service. Unfortunately there is no way for us to expedite the process. Watch for that first email and then in about a week, you should be on the new email.

Drew
Photo of Debbie7026

Debbie7026

Thank yu Drew. How about getting the CEO to speak with us? Could you please make the request. A call in phone conference would be great. It would be good to hear what this whole process is about and why it takes 6 months probably to get it done. Also to hear that we wouldn't be put through this again. You and Mike have been great at answering mail, but we really do need to hear from the top management that they care about it. We aren't feeling the love here!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You are welcome. I can tell you the time comes from the sheer volume of data. It has to be copied and verified and the verified again to do everything possible to avoid data loss. This takes time.

I will share with my director your concern and desires to speak with him.

Drew
Photo of Kat5836

Kat5836

• 274 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
So ever since the server issues we have not been able to access our email on our phones and home computers. It just says nothing is in the inbox or outbox. How do we fix this problem. The only place we can check our email is on our work computers through outlook.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

If you want to check email on multiple devices, they all need to be configures with IMAP settings. If you have outlook configured as POP, then it is probably downloading everything off the server making it inaccessible to other devices.

You'll want to make sure all devices are configured with IMAP.

Mike
Photo of Dee Dee0596

Dee Dee0596

Mike, still not fixed. See my message above from last week.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Sorry if this confusing, I responded to this in your post above.
Photo of Kathy Wildman

Kathy Wildman

How did I export my group contact lists to gmail?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Exporting Contact Lists

1. Go to Preferences>Import/Export

2. In Export, select the Type as Contacts

3. Select the contact format to export the contact file as.

• Windows Live Contacts

• Outlook contacts

• Account contacts (this keeps the contact information in the same format is it is in)

• Thunderbird

• Outlook 2003

• Yahoo contacts

1.  In Source select the contact list to export. Click OK.

2. Click Export.

3. In the dialog that opens, select Save File and select where to save the file. Click OK.

The contacts file is saved as an .csv file, with the contact information organized for the format you selected.

Photo of Dee Dee0596

Dee Dee0596

Mike, did I just read the new platform link correctly? We will not be able to have mail lists? So if I have to send my weekly reports to four people in order to get paid on my government contract, I cannot create a list to do that? This is an IMPROVEMENT??

Will you disclose Homestead's relationship with EmailBrain? Homestead is discontinuing a free service so we can pay a Homestead partner? Is Homestead getting compensation for this?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You are correct. The email list feature is being discontinued. The old email list caused may problems as people were collecting addresses, and using them to send large email blasts, which in many cases did not comply with the anit-spam regulations. When many of these emails where being flagged as spam, then it caused our servers to get blacklisted. As a company we had to make the decision to protect the reputation of our servers so that it does not affect all of our customers as it did a few weeks ago.

As you may have heard. Homestead was sold by Intuit to Endurance International Group. Email Brain is also owned by EIG so Email Brains is a sort of sister company, but we operate as completely different entities. If you choose not to use Email Brain, there are several other excellent options such as Vertical Response or Constant Contact.

As far as your email lists go, we will be emailing them to you, so you can still used them, but they just won't be stored in our system. If you wish to manually add them to your email client you are welcome to do so. Also the new OX platform will allow you to create a distribution list in the web client, so if you have small groups of 4, that should be no problem.

Mike
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

This is a great conversation that's separate from the main topic, so I created a new topic to continue the discussion. Please reference the new topic here: Question on email lists.
Photo of John0701

John0701

Will this new email upgrade have more storage space? That would be great and is much needed. With this one we are not able to keep previous emails in our Inbox like we need to and have to constantly delete important emails to have enough space.

Is there anything we need to do to transition to the new email system? Do we still sign in the same way and things will basically be the same? Will everything transition smoothly (I shudder to think if it's like the past month!!) and we won't notice much difference other than better performance etc?

Still getting lots of "Send Error Messages" when I send emails btw. If I keep trying to send it eventually goes thru. Also, the forwarding feature is still not working. Only personal emails are forwarded to my other email but no "Notification of Payment Received" emails when someone orders.

When should we expect for the email transition to happen?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

This is a great conversation that's separate from the main topic, so I created a new topic to continue the discussion. Please reference the new topic here: Will this new email upgrade have more storage space?
Photo of Kathy Wildman

Kathy Wildman

What happened to the website! Sevices are temporatily unavailable for an hour curing the second busiest month of the year! Who needs e-mail if the store is closed. HELP what is going on with this new owner?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

This is a great conversation that's separate from the main topic, so I created a new topic to continue the discussion. Please reference the new topic here: websites down
Photo of Daniel3786

Daniel3786

• 236 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
E-mail is down again. Worse email provider ever.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

We've had no reports of email being down this evening. What exactly are you experiencing on your end?

Mike
Photo of Nora

Nora

• 3,562 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Me as well, website and email down for hours. Horrible!
Photo of Nora

Nora

"We are sorry, zimbra server is down is at the moment. Please check back again later. " when I try to log into my email
Photo of Nora

Nora

"Homestead services have been temporarily interrupted. We would like to assure you that we are making every effort to restore service as quickly as possible. We know how much this inconveniences you and very much appreciate your patience." - when I try to access my site
Photo of Daniel3786

Daniel3786

Same problem as Nora2292. The same problem that happens too often with Zimba email service. When I get time, I will be downgrading my service. I also noticed Homestead no longer offers as many templates as they used to either.
Photo of Daniel3786

Daniel3786

It is also still doing it today.
Photo of Kathy Wildman

Kathy Wildman

Today my inbox looks different and it took quite a while rebooting and refreshing trying to make it look like yesterday. I finally found the "click to select item" column of boxes in the middle of the page instead of on the left. Did you move it closer to the spam button to make it easier to move the increased spam levels!! First do no harm. I am so worried that you will do something stupid to crash the system again at this critical time of year. I have been concerned about a sharp decrease in orders over the weekend. Did you block incoming real mail while you were working on the relocation of the check boxes to facilitate manual spam removal? You lost my trust long ago. Just let us get thru December without a loss of service.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Did you log in as usual? There are 2 options, advanced and standard. We have not and will not be changing anything in the Zimbra client.

We will be beginning the email migration to the new platform this week, so changes to Zimbra would be a waste of time. The new platform has then new spam filter applied, so as soon as you email box is moved you should see immediate improvement.

We are doing everything we can to ensure a seamless transition. We have not blocked any emails for maintenance, as we have done no maintenance. We also do not expect any loss or interuption during the transition.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Julie4041

Julie4041

• 70 Points
Hi Mike,
I too am having a HUGE issue with spam since the transfer to homestead. Most (but not all) of it comes from user-8lt@imnicamail.com, which I have tried to block both in my Outlook and via the Hmail filter, but somehow I'm still getting dozens a day.

How do we resolve this?
Thanks,
Julie
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Official Response
The current incoming spam filter is limited in its capabilities. We attempted to move to it's next level of filtration which drastically reduced the incoming spam, but also blocked way too many legitimate emails, so we have to leave it on this setting. The new incoming spam filter is applied to the new email platform. The move to the new platform will begin this Monday, the 18th. When your mail box is moved, then you should see a drastic reduction in spam messages.

The new filter will not be applied to the old platform, so the migration will be the solution. The migration is expected to take approximately 2-4 months to complete everyone, but can't be pinpointed. You will receive an email about a week before your domain is done, and another when it has completed. I am sorry it will take a while, but the volume is tremendous, and you never know what issues may arise while in progress. You should not experience any interruption in service. Unfortunately there is no way for us to expedite the process. Watch for that first email and then in about a week, you should be on the new email.

Drew
Photo of Barbara0145

Barbara0145

• 430 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi I have the new email platform, I am still experiencing delayed incoming email from a well paying customer. I was told before the switch that there was a problem in my signature, well with the new email my signature is no longer displayed. Also I constantly have to keep logging in! It's closes itself out. That becomes a problem, before there used to be a sound when new email arrived. Is there done way to make that happen again?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Barbara, There was some delay yesterday caused by some maintenance being done on our servers, but systems should be back to normal by now.

If you need to recreate a signature in the new system, you may want to follow the steps on this page: https://community.homestead.com/homes...

Unfortunately the time-out issue is still being worked on. There are a series of software updates planned over the next couple of weeks which I'm told should resolve the short time out issues.

Sorry but there is no audible/sound alert.

What you may want to do, is configure an email client, such as Outlook or Thunderbird as these programs would provide resolution to each of the things you mention.
Photo of Barbara0145

Barbara0145

• 430 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Thanks
Photo of Dee Dee0596

Dee Dee0596

Mike and Drew, Homestead MUST do something about this spam problem! I was sitting on the couch with my grandkids playing games on the iPad when we took a break for me to check my email. I closed a legitimate email and the next one in line popped open. It was a collage of hard core porn pictures, including some with women having sex with animals! My 8 & 10 year old grandsons and 5 year old grandaughter saw this before I could rush to get it closed.

This is ridiculous. I've never received those kinds of email even with trash accounts like hotmail or yahoo. If these other providers can block this kind of crap, why can't Homestead???

I spent an hour last week creating spam filters and the same spam is still going into my regular mail account. None of the items listed in the filters are going into the spam filter on their own. How many thousands of Pure Garcinia, Angel Light, Testostoril, Vydox, etc. spam does your system have to get before it blcoks this junk???
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

My post above explains it. Unfortunately the solution is the migration. We are sorry.

Drew
Photo of Dee Dee0596

Dee Dee0596

Drew, your company must have some method of manually adding to the filter. I have been with Homestead since your company started. You were always able to control spam better than this - in fact, that is one reason I stayed with Homestead. There were a few scattered problems times, but they were fixed. This is not fixed, has not been fixed in over 2 months, and the only solution is that we must wait perhaps as much as 6 more months for a migration?

Do you have any idea what it takes to explain away what a 5 year old saw in that email? Or explain to your daughter and son in law what their baby saw while taking a break from Candy Crush with Grandma???

There have to be other methods that Homestead can employ.
Photo of Dee Dee0596

Dee Dee0596

Drew, now I am getting email that looks like it is from my accounts:

fxC4477@genealogyfinder.com

fxC4477@forensicgenealogyservices.com

That have zip attachments that are obviously going to be malware.
Photo of Dee Dee0596

Dee Dee0596

I forgot to mention that these have "Scan Data" in the subject and lok like they are coming from Docu-Center !V at my address. Does this mean that now I am going to have another whole round of my email address showing up in spam filters?????
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Dee Dee0596,

Normally, when you get an email that looks like it's coming from your domain that means that you have been spoofed. However, we've recently added SPF records to all domains which should prevent that from happening. So, another possibility is that your email account may have been hacked. Try to change your password to something more complex. Be sure to used upper and lower case letters as well as numbers and special characters. Then monitor the email and let us know if it still happens.

Mike
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Dee Dee0596, Also, can you paste one of the bounce messages here showing "scan data". I'm wondering if that's a 3rd party spam filter or something.
Photo of Dee Dee0596

Dee Dee0596

Thank you, Mike. This is how the messages look:

To: king@forensicgenealogyservices.com
Sent: Monday, November 18, 2013 10:49:56 AM
Subject: Scan Data

Number of Images: 1
Attachment File Type: PDF
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Be sure to change your password if you have not done so already. Then let me know if you see any more emails that come through, that appear to be from your own address/domain.

Mike
Photo of Robyn4970

Robyn4970

• 212 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Okay, so me not being able to respond to my clients at THE busiest time of year, as with so many others, really means nothing to Homestead! Good to know. Okay folks, let's shut this crap down completely! They don't want our business, to help our businesses, let's make sure they go out of business! I've lost clients because they thought I ignored them. I can't feed my family or pay my mortgage losing clients! I'm filing as many complaints with officials as possible on this!
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Robyn4970, I've reviewed your account and unless I overlooked something, I don't see that you've reported your problem to us. We've had no recent problems with people sending email (unless they have been flagged for spamming).

Can you tell me exactly what kind of issue you are having and we'll be happy to help you out?

mike
Photo of Robyn4970

Robyn4970

This is the mail system at host smtp1.homesteadmail.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

: host 74.220.195.20[74.220.195.20] said: 552 5.2.0 Spam
Message Rejected - ERR018 (in reply to end of DATA command)

OR
This is the mail system at host smtp3.homesteadmail.com.

The mail system

: host 66.147.243.71[66.147.243.71] said: 552 5.2.0
Spam Message Rejected - ERR018 (in reply to end of DATA command)

OR

This is the mail system at host smtp5.homesteadmail.com.

The mail system

: host 74.220.195.20[74.220.195.20] said: 552 5.2.0 Spam
Message Rejected - ERR018 (in reply to end of DATA command)

These are only a FEW of SEVERAL rejected replies to my clients and potential clients. ANOTHER form completed today. GET THIS FIXED!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Please fill out this form.

The error message indicates a problem with the content of your email. Please fill out the form completely and we will analyze it.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Robyn4970

Robyn4970

Already filled out that form-TWICE! Really, is the third time going to be a charm?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Robyn4970, I just took a look at the information you submitted. The reason the emails are being blocked, is not because of the body, or content of the email, it is because of the domain itself. The email address/domain has been flagged as being associated with spam and is being blocked by the spam filter.

There could be a number of ways that this can happen, but generally, it's a matter of too many recipients marking emails from that address as spam.

Do you send to large list, or do any type of large email blasts with this email address. If so, how long has it been and what is the frequency?

Mike
Photo of Robyn4970

Robyn4970

No, I don't send out to large lists or email blast. I'm simply trying to respond to established clients or new clients with email addresses that I am exceedingly familiar with (google mail, University of Florida).
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Robyn4970, Just wanted to update you. We have to go through a process of checking "sent logs" for actual activity, before the domain can be cleared. I will try to get this resolved as quickly as I can. It might take 1-2 days, but if you don't hear from me, you are welcome to reply back here.
Photo of Robyn4970

Robyn4970

It should continued to be pointed out that I, like MOST of the users posting comments here, never had these problems OR receiving the incredible amount of spam mail (which I'm now receiving on one of my addresses) until Homestead made changes. I pay this company to make money but this company has made extremely poor decisions that is now costing me money!! We, the small business owners, should be compensated for this nightmare. If not, I'm sure a class action lawsuit will suffice. I'm never one for litigation but somehow I think Homestead saw this as a possible side effect and NEVER warned us!
Photo of Jessica9989

Jessica9989

Robyn, That was EXACTLY the point that I was trying to make in a post that I made here today. But of course, the specialist said that blah, blah privacys need to be set on the domain and there is nothing that can be done to remove you from spam lists. Well I was never on spam lists until these changes were made to the system. I never got these stupid Vydox and Have an affair spam messages until now. This is my business email!! I don't sign up for online things with this email. I don't have time for this garbage. The only way my business email made it onto spam lists is if my email address was sold to a spammer. However, the "specialist" assured me that that didn't happen and to read the privacy policy. Sorry, I'm not stupid. Something is definitely fishy here.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

We absolutely did not sell your name or email addresses. You can minimize the risk of getting spammed, but you can never eliminate the possibility of someone obtaining your email address, unless it is never used. If you ever send or receive 1 email then it is out there and can be found. The less it is used, the less likely that is, but there is still a possibility.

Probably, you have been on the lists, but the original incoming spam filter did a better job blocking it for you. The problem is that it had glaring holes on the outgoing side that could be and were being exploited by people, which caused us to get blacklisted. That can affect all of our customers.

We got a new and better filter to prevent the outbound spam to protect all users from the actions of a few. That filter is placed on the new incoming servers as well, so the migration to the new platform should solve the problem. Unfortunately, it will take some time to migrate all email boxes.

We did not anticipate that some people would experience a large increase in the amount of spam received and we understand the frustration involved. We are working as quickly as possible to migrate mailboxes. Once moved there may need to be some adjustments made, but there should be a dramatic improvement quickly upon migration.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Bonnie6409

Bonnie6409

• 808 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Even more spam in the last 24 hours - what gives?.

Over the last 24 hours, spam has, once again, increased exponentially. I am receiving more spam than valid emails. I am also having a bit of a lag on incoming emails and receive an error message occasionally when I send emails. I have already switched to Firefox as IE is not currently compatible with the email. Is there ANYTHING I can do to help decrease the amount of spam I am receiving? Do you have any idea when your spam filtering will be back up to standard? Thanks.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Please see the first response at the top from Drew N.
Photo of Dee Dee0596

Dee Dee0596

I am still getting server error messages with nearly each attempt to send an email. I have switched to the newest version of Mozilla Foxfire. It's been happening for 3 days now.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

HI Dee Dee0596, this sounds like something different than what you've previously posted. Can you copy and paste the error message here please?

Mike
Photo of Dee Dee0596

Dee Dee0596

Mike, I never stopped getting server error message throughout this whole ordeal. I meant to say it's gotten worse in the last 3 days.

A network service error has occurred.
method: [unknown]
msg: system failure: Unable to send message
code: service.FAILURE
detail: soap:Receiver
trace: btpool0-7117://mail11.homesteadmail.com/service/soap/SendMsgRequest:1384958697413:9a03758ddf914325
request:

Body: {
SendMsgRequest: {
_jsns: "urn:zimbraMail",
m: {
e: [
0: {
a: "gerald.bach@navy.mil",
add: "0",
p: "Gerald J CIV NPC Bach, Pers-13 Navy Casualty",
t: "t"
},
1: {
a: "king@forensicgenealogyservices.com",
p: "Dee Dee King, Certified Genealogist",
t: "f"
}
],
idnt: "a42e7e42-ee39-43ff-98aa-46fe82bfe307",
irt: {
_content: "<A11B5D28D133744DBF7D89CCCED0D77802494...>"
},
mp: [
0: {
content: {

<<>>>
"
},
ct: "text/plain"
}
],
origid: "191602",
rt: "r",
su: {
_content: "Re: Martin update"
}
},
suid: 1384958710719
}
},
Header: {
context: {
_jsns: "urn:zimbra",
account: {
_content: "king@forensicgenealogyservices.com",
by: "name"
},
authToken: "(removed)",
notify: {
seq: 21
},
session: {
_content: 1996678,
id: 1996678
},
userAgent: {
name: "ZimbraWebClient - FF3.0 (Win)",
version: "7.2.0_GA_2669"
}
}
}
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

The next thing to try is updating your web browser. If you look at the last part of the error message it says "ZimbraWebClient - FF3.0 (Win)". If you really are using Firefox v3.0 then that is very likely the issue. That version is several years old and probably blocked for security reasons. When you have Firefox opened up, just click the Help button and then click About Firefox and it will tell you what version your are on and should start an auto-update to their latest version which is v25
Photo of Dee Dee0596

Dee Dee0596

Mike, you told me the same thing when I used IE. I do have the latest editions of both Firefox and IE installed.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Can you try to log in via www.homestead.com and then click the email link at the top of the page to log in, using Firefox. If it produces an error again, please post there error here again so we can see the difference in the report.

Mike

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.