How do I voice my complaint with regard to the email service?

• Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: This topic is being closed as it has covered too many different issues, that are largely resolved. It has grown to the point that valid information has become too difficult to locate. Feel free to post a new question if necessary.

If you would like your voice to be heard you are welcome to voice your complaint here. If you do have questions on our email service or other products feel free to post to the relevant threads.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Martin

Martin

• 5,960 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Charmagne9970 or whatever the hell your real name may be?

I bet you are selling trinkets online and think you have a real business.

Some of us are using Homestead to make real money. This is NOT A HOBBY!

Martin Blaney

Guthrie, Oklahoma

Email (maybe?) martin@logancountyonline.com
Photo of Charmagne9970

Charmagne9970

• 400 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Martin:

Thanks for proving my point.
Photo of Martin

Martin

• 5,960 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Thanks, 100% proven.

Martin
Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

• 332 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Charmagne9970,

What you seem to not understand is 57 people found where to get this information. I know some people who talked to support and got NO information until today after days of issues. I'm sure there are a large number of people who haven't made it here but hey, 57 people who can't run their business properly is peanuts, who cares, it's just 57, how ignorant a statement that is.

This has nothing to do with Mike who I'm sure is a great guy. This has to do with a company that has had issues for enough days that you would think a notice would be posted to all clients since emails from Homestead get into our inboxes with no issues.

My emails have been blacklisted making me look like some kind of spammer to my clients. The damage has been done, I can explain till I'm purple so excuse some people from coming here to complain, they need an outlet because Homestead has handled this issue about as poorly as one can be handled.

Now Mike, it looks like I can finally email a few of my clients without them bouncing from SpamCop. Do we know or have any idea how long SpamCop will be randomly bouncing emails?

An idea would be helpful, October 7th or 8th is a bit crazy to expect clients to cope with.
Photo of MaryEllen9150

MaryEllen9150

• 2,206 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Folks, as someone who has temporarily switched, you guys have to look at this logicially. Even the company is telling you to switch email providers. It's apparantly a problem they can't fix overnite, but they are working on it. Homestead will even help if you have technical questions setting up the new provider right here on these boards.

I was up and running in a few hours on a new email host. The cost for hosting email is very small. I can't stress enough if your losing money or customers to switch. I am back in business! Emails are going out, emails are coming in. And when homestead fixes their problem I'll return , since frankly I have been a customer since the beginning with them, all my old emails are there, and I just prefer their address book.

I wish I would have done the switch sooner due to lost business, but I kept thinkinig it would start working again. Now I'm staying put at the provider until I see no problems on the community boards here with email at homestead. At I'll keep my new provider as a backup if they ever go down again. Problem solved.
Photo of Gerard5809

Gerard5809

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
MaryEllen,

Who did you decide on for your new email provider?
Photo of MaryEllen9150

MaryEllen9150

• 2,206 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Gerard.
I went with bluehost. I paid for 3 yrs in advance, broken down comes to $8.28/mnth. I needed a dedicated ip, web hosting (which includes unlimted free email addresses and storage). I don't use their website hosting tho, I only point my email to them. It was a bit confusing and I ordered a ton of things I didn't need, but they credited quickly just via chat messenger.

I wouldn't recommend the, since I did have some issues... I did have one client whose email bounce back at times. They were aware of the problem Apparantly one of their proxy servers was identified as spam but they advised to just resend as they have numerous servers.

I'm keeping both homestead and bluehost. I can't afford to be down, it really hurt our business. Cost is minimal in comparison to business lost when emails are not working.

As much as I hated this message board, it's actually a good thing. Because you really get a feel what is down, what is working etc. You know that everyone else is experiencing the same problems. And I'll give props to homestead, they are not editing anything out.

In the end I think Homestead will have a better system but in the meantime small business owners need to take matters into their own hands. It's not as hard as it seems, once you do it.

Mike F I'd love to know what changes Homestead has coming up in the future regarding email service. Now that my anger is gone, I'm looking forward to the upgrade.
Photo of Gerard5809

Gerard5809

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks!
Photo of computare

computare

• 326 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Mike

I can see that things are likely to get a lot worse before they get better and it is for this reason that I have migrated my email to ntlbusiness. The problems appear to be so unpredictable but in the final analysis I would have to conclude that the spam filter is either faulty or misconfigured.

The most damaging aspect of this whole saga has been the time wasted while attempting to find solutions and trying to contact my clients through alternative routes.

Rather than waste my time any further can I rely on you or a representative of Homestead to make contact with me once you have control of the situation? The onus is on Homestead to repair the damage that we, your customers, have faced and part of that exercise must be for you to reassure us that you have a grip on the situation.

There are many things I like about Homestead so I would be prepared to listen to any proposals you might have to persuade me to continue as a customer. Your services have been great for us until now but at this moment in time I am not confident that you will be reliable enough in the future.

I hope you do manage to get back to normal there and that I get some contact from you early next week to tell me how you intend to move forward.

new email is: help@thejohndoylepartnership.co.uk
Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

Update since Homestead isn't giving one right now, when I try to retrieve new email I get a "failure to connect to the database" message...

The fun and spam continues... spam seems to be the only thing besides Homestead forum updates...

Awesomesauce...
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Official Response
Sorry again that I am not able to address every post on this thread individually. As you can see this Community thread is being inundated with posts and very valid complaints regarding the email. I know that many of you have been waiting for nearly two weeks for this email problem to get fixed and we still don't have a confirmed date that it will be resolved. We understand that your email is very important to your businesses, and we do not want to lose your business, but at the same time understand that you must make decisions in the best interest of your business. It is for this reason that we have been suggesting that if your email really is critical to your business, you may wish to switch to a different provider. If you visit this thread, you'll see a couple suggestions for Zoho Mail and Google. https://community.homestead.com/homes...
Photo of Rhys3751

Rhys3751

• 186 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We have successfully moved all our email accounts to Google Apps and will not return to Homestead for email. We are keeping our websites here for now but will look to leave at the earliest opportunity.

For anyone looking to Google Apps solution for email: $5 per user per month. You can use your own domain (bob@mydomain.com), up to 25 aliases per user (ie. info@, sales@, help@, etc.)

It is not without pain or the fainthearted due to DNS switching etc. but Google's techs will walk you through the steps through a screen share, even looking at your Homestead DNS information with you.

BUT>>>> make sure you export all your Homestead contacts first. Importing them into Google is a bit of a pain but there are threads that tell you how to do it, or aske the tech.

Mike: Good luck and hopefully you are looking for a new job with a competent provider!
Photo of Quintin0825

Quintin0825

• 74 Points
For those of us who stick around...or don't for that matter, how do we secure credits for the time the system has been down?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Quintin0825, We have to handle these one case at a time, but feel free to call us or Live Chat (see the contact info above).
Photo of kira1847

kira1847

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
This is absolutely ridiculous!.

This is absolutely ridiculous! There is no way an IT issue (especially a HUGE IT issue like this) should take weeks to be resolved. If your team does not know what they are doing, you need to contract out to a team who does know what they are doing. This makes absolutely no sense. I love how your "helpful" team points us in the direction to find another host. HOW ABOUT YOU TRANSFER US TO ANOTHER HOST!??! Why should we be inconvenienced/waste our time because your staff is incompetent? Either fix this issue or transfer/refund us... This is a quite simple decision if there is any form of management over there...

Note: This topic was created from a reply on the Do you need another alternative to Hmail? topic.
Photo of Lisa5802

Lisa5802

• 164 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Two weeks of email problems - completely unacceptable!.

I am cutting and pasting another users email because it sums up everything I want to say about the problem: I am aware of the Intuit postings regarding service problems. Mine have NOT been resolved at all. Nothing is working on my email - for TWO WEEKS. I cannot send email. Some email is sent but bounces because of spam filters. I cannot save drafts. The delete, spam and other buttons do not work. I get server error messages on everything. Every single function takes a minimum of 30 seconds to initiate, if it initiates at all. One attempt to send an email this morning resulted in 3 minutes of the timer spinning in the window and that window locking up. Not one feature is working. This is my business email. I am losing clients and their business because they do not receive my responses to their email. The last Intuit status update was the 25th. Today is the 30th and nothing has changed for my account since the problems started 2 weeks ago. My email box is flooded with junk mail. I have had more problems with email since Intuit took over than all my cumulative years on the Internet with all the other providers combined. WHY CAN"T YOU GET THIS FIXED AND WHY AREN'T YOU TALKING TO YOUR CUSTOMERS ABOUT IT!
Photo of Cathy0451

Cathy0451

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Mike F. I find your response to our emails extremely frustrating. You say the same thing over and over with no real solutions or ETA resolution provided. Tacking on a "sorry" at the end does not help nor fix the problem. At this point, your "sorry" comes across insincere and patronizing.

Why are you the only individual responding to our complaints?

Why hasn't this problem been escalated up the chain of command and made a priority for your clients?

It just further indicates that Intuit is not taking our complaints seriously. What a joke!
Photo of Ahmed Ismail

Ahmed Ismail

• 424 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
CLIENTS GETTING ERROR MESSAGES WHEN EMAILING ME.

I just had a client email me the error message below, which he received when he tried to email me today. What is going on?

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!

Date: Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)
To: chipstir@gmail.com

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

ahmed@portraitplacegpw.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain portraitplacegpw.com by inbound.homesteadmail.com. [209.157.71.80].

The error that the other server returned was:
554 5.7.1 : Recipient address rejected: Policy Rejection- Sender address quota exceeded: Throttled (Error code ERR-3375-T) Please refer to http://support.homestead.com/mail-blo... for more information.

----- Original message -----

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
d=gmail.com; s=20120113;
h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to
:content-type;
bh=ioOg/XYrqBkiB8/raqARqXTk61snTLnfvScK6Te37uo=;
b=KPjO6txfHXyPwkouMduIq2KYcEpS+BFDHmGgoLeDCuboPLedIAYc+WkbRU4aHgZkJn
9stdPP1FYrmzUyDm6iKibZbEabaMw60HXpGVbz9S3TvVvZuO5y1DBKi4Rz0TGJvyBzze
VycHEGqRL5V/0dFn/4wOsZInAGzVueOCtvX1kGr8pNm8B8gU3AgjOC4PbrddcWdaZeLR
zvIu5pYZCPlNtcs3XSediJ2cHru9xX2FywysciSCInwEyR0Tc7eA92XY6Q8Ag32zGiPD
lDikpuOAi+TjpbAPQMZ5J5fcSH5tijad6Mlp2mNLwuQYp/ZUNDmuJaWp/jXCiafx9sgI
LbLQ==
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-Received: by 10.52.230.35 with SMTP id sv3mr2779456vdc.27.1380745956880;
Wed, 02 Oct 2013 13:32:36 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by 10.220.118.201 with HTTP; Wed, 2 Oct 2013 13:32:36 -0700 (PDT)
In-Reply-To:
References:

Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 16:32:36 -0400
Message-ID:
Subject: Fwd: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)
To: "ahmed@portraitplacegpw.com"
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=089e0102fe6e48fbcd04e7c7f8e5

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)
To: chipstir@gmail.com

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

ahmed@portraitplacegpw.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for
the recipient domain portraitplacegpw.com by inbound.homesteadmail.com.
[209.157.71.80].

The error that the other server returned was:
554 5.7.1 : Recipient address rejected: Policy
Rejection- Sender address quota exceeded: Throttled (Error code ERR-3375-T).

----- Original message -----

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
d=gmail.com; s=20120113;

h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to
:cc:content-type;
bh=u+Y3nPXuoZRxL4BjlOLBXeZbwlSvyY6X0cZVgFBBpUc=;
b=PIsnekq4spGW3Rve5kfGjWffIlURY9aeyh7qBqGJzBv8oXhxiW01atBFCZctrJYU/A

d2Q06dh9tsroz9r62IfuJu7FulibenlCScNW2Ggi4bL7ovvbtReCFs5fRiOpNzHQtBaH

qax9Iar5OrxY9ESBsaXPkvlK4ULJv6V1aNfpsgMZu2ojf8KU8f1ZxIfZTFwLH/aQHfPc

uiPB8jfduEBwF66Ypt4d2WeHu4Nln5nsC150yvQI6zdbTIuEs6fn3kVwjkutIDPjP+TE

OHVwS4kKLi72k6cG9AZCWhiSwKaBFP2aiH32pjqWjtj7ycsa4IoDcDMR2xETvJQs/sn3
dAZA==
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-Received: by 10.52.230.35 with SMTP id sv3mr2772411vdc.27.1380745832516;
Wed, 02 Oct 2013 13:30:32 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by 10.220.118.201 with HTTP; Wed, 2 Oct 2013 13:30:32 -0700 (PDT)
In-Reply-To:
<!&!AAAAAAAAAAAYAAAAAAAAAL6kJTufDjhJj/ga1eg/+9jCgAAAEAAAAEmis+Am+llIiL51hhG9nIcBAAAAAA==@
portraitplacegpw.com>
References:
<!&!AAAAAAAAAAAYAAAAAAAAAL6kJTufDjhJj/ga1eg/+9jCgAAAEAAAAEmis+Am+llIiL51hhG9nIcBAAAAAA==@
portraitplacegpw.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 16:30:32 -0400
Message-ID: <
CAOWfuNkDRXTiFyjf9-QqzVxeG-zU2vV8yMw-...>
Subject: Re: Bove, Margaret--Image for Fall Follies Ad
----- Message truncated -----
Photo of Ahmed Ismail

Ahmed Ismail

• 424 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Why doesn't the Customer Service "Chat" Department have an email address for your Tech Support Department?

I find it hard to believe that one doesn't exist.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You were correctly informed. There is no email address for tech support. You are welcome to post messages/questions here, or contact Live Chat or Telephone support whichever is most convenient for you.

Is there anything specific that you need help with right now?

Mike
Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

Mike, look right above his last post and you'll see what he is posting about.
Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

Like a moron I sent a client an invoice from my business email because he "REQUIRES" it come from my business address to ensure it's me.

He has not received it yet (18 hours later), does ANYBODY have any idea when I might be able to send an email with an attachment and it actually makes it to it's destination?

Lastly, having read the response about part of this being planned, nobody and I mean nobody plans a server and in this case my guess is a server cluster like this during business hours/days/weeks. The hardware is easy, the hard part is the DB and getting everything synced. The spam software either works or it doesn't. I appriciate the complexities and have been involved in several migrations so this one doesn't pass the sniff test.

I really would like to hear what really happened, my guess is it isn't the rediculous notions being forced upon Mike to pass on to us.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

I know you posted this last night so sorry for the delay. You may want to try sending the email again. I understand they've made some significant progress last night or this morning. I don't know what the details are yet, but let me know if you see anything better, or worse.
Photo of Karen5787

Karen5787

• 1,322 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I might be jumping the gun here, but I only received 3 "enlarge your penis" emails this morning, and that's after our internet went down yesterday afternoon (nothing to do with Homestead)... So in about a 15 hour period, only 3 nasty emails.. I did have some other spam emails, but much less.. I marked them as spam, so we'll see how that goes..Maybe I'm being optimistic, but crossing my fingers the spam part of this problem is actually coming to an end...
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

We are getting closer. They do have new servers and spam filters in place and are working on the filters to improve the effectiveness. We do have some reports of some excessive slowness which is being looked at, but at this time it may be due to the large number of emails queued in the system. I hope to have more details in a few hours.
Photo of John0701

John0701

• 2,444 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
My email is working faster as far as being able to click on an email and it not take 3 minutes to pull up, but my emails have not been coming through. Had about 15 order notifications for our business this morning that did not come through. I have seen a few come through lately so maybe they're just delayed due to the large number of emails in the system like you said. I have not received any spam today but I would rather receive spam and still get my customers emails and order notifications. Will be so glad when all of these issues get resolved!
Photo of Mike0785

Mike0785

• 226 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am not getting spam or junk to speak of but legitimate emails are taking 3-5 hours to get thru to my outlook.

Problem seems to be more on my IMAP accounts rather than my POP3 ones.

I hope this ends soon!!!!
Photo of justin8880

justin8880

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
EMAIL SAYING SPAM.

Here is whats happening to some emails I send since yesterday....

said: 550-"JunkMail
rejected - smtp5.homesteadmail.com [209.157.71.85]:36877 is in an 550 RBL,
see Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?209.1..." (in reply
to RCPT TO command)
Photo of Leslee8004

Leslee8004

• 60 Points
I have not received a email since the 25th this company had 0% customer service and takes nearly a hour on hold to get any clarification and or help. I am changing all my stuff over this is a absolute joke!!!!
Photo of Mike0785

Mike0785

• 226 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
l
Photo of christopher7393

christopher7393

• 282 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
e-mail hopeless at homestead - inmates in charge.

I am also not receving e-mail from other domains. I have sent myself an e-mail from two other domains I have accounts at over an hour ago and still no sign.

My question: why does this kind of problem not happen with gmail or hotmail, which are free of charge, and happens for weeks and more than once a year at intuit/homestead where I pay for the service? i guess homestead simply isn't at the same quality level as gmail and hotmail.
Photo of Adrian1589

Adrian1589

• 718 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
As a temporary fix, I created a new Gmail account and directed all the email links on my website, shopping cart, etc. to the new email address. Seemed to be the easiest temporary fix.

I seriously hope this gets sorted out soon, and Homestead mans up and makes reparations to it's customers.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.