How do I use the Master Page feature?

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Answered
If you are using Sitebuilder Plus and choose a master template, then you can easily add some elements to all pages in your site. Here's how.

If you press the button between page settings and insert, you will see the yellow bar. This indicates changes will be made to all pages. In this example, the company name is Master Template and the phone number and the navigation element will all be on the master page. When done, click the Return to Page button inside the yellow bar and you will be back editing the individual page.

You will also see the indicated check box. This will show/hide elements on the page you are editing. This can help you easily arrange elements on the master page by seeing the placement once the elements from the individual page are added.

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Community Manager

• 259,680 Points 100k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Claire0320

Claire0320

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Top page Image banner for all pages on website.

Why won't it let me save my top banner image that shows on every page on my website? It lets me change it to the new image on the website manager and then I save and publish it but it doesn't show up. Why?
Photo of Anna3351

Anna3351

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
How do I make a global change to the header that appears on all my website pages?.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,438 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
It sounds like you are just needing to make changes to the Master Template. If the steps above to not solve your problem, please explain the change you wish to make.

Mike
Photo of PETER2803

PETER2803

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
no master page button
Photo of Drew N

PETER2803,

2 of your sites have a master page, but 2 were built with the old Sitebuilder, which is not compatible with the master page templates. Which site are you working on?

Drew
Drew,

So the bottom line is ... if we are loyal customers of Homestead we are punished when you upgrade the site and we do not get the new options. How is that fair? Especially when you raise our prices because of the upgrade????
Bill
Photo of Dodie6cc

Dodie6cc

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I started with Homestead pretty much when they started and have a site that I added to for about 15 years. I have hundreds of pages on it. Then last year, due to hard times, I had to let my account go dormant. Now I am back, and was hoping to make a name change without going back and editing every single page. But it looks like maybe I can't, because all of my sites were built with Sitebuilder. I agree. It seems like the people who have paid into Homestead for many years are being punished. It's making me wonder why I started up again.
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

• 58,746 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You are not being punished. Times are changing and so are the vehicles. You don't see buggies on the road any more.
Are you using a Master Page template?
https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/how_do_i_use_the_master_page_feature
You need to fix the page width. First click on the button between Page settings and Insert. You will see the yellow bar that says changes will be on all pages.
Photo of Drew N

Dodie6cc, Unfortunately, it was not possible to convert old desktop sites into a template with the master page. You would have to start a new site for that, but new sites are actually made using Websitebuilder, which is our newest option. You may want to take a look at it. Just create a new site. Websitebuilder has sections on each page. The header and footer section appear on all pages, so you can make these changes on one page and it affects the whole site.
Photo of Richard 9529

Richard 9529

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Create a new recurring element on all pages.

I deleted a recurring element from the master template for my site (by accident).  Now I'd like to add a new recurring element to replace it, but don't see any way.  The only reference I see in HELP is to use the yellow button to access a recurring element for editing, but not how to create a new one.  
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You'll click the button as shown above on this thread. Then to add the new element you just click the Insert button and add it the same way as you normally would.  What sort of element are you trying to add?

Mike
Photo of Michael0697

Michael0697

• 196 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
how can i work on a page without it showing up on all pages.

I am trying to create a page and I do not want what I put on this new page to appear on all my other pages,what can I do to remove the duplicate process
Photo of Drew N

• 259,568 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Michael0697

This should help you out.  The master page displays items on all pages.  If you hit the return to page button, then you can add things that will display only on the individual page.

Drew
Photo of Norm6794

Norm6794

• 164 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Home page and inner pages show the same main image.

Why does my main image on my home page show up on every inner page? My inner pages are different products.
Photo of Drew N

Hi Norm,

You have probably placed an image on the master page.  You can read about how to use this feature above.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Michele8541

Michele8541

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
how can i keep the same photo on each page.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Michele8541 ,  If you add the image to the Master Page, it will then appear on all pages in the same location.  Follow the steps on this thread and let us know if you have any questions. 

Mike 
Photo of Cindy8669

Cindy8669

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
What if you don't want the same image appearing on all pages but want to customize each page?
Photo of Drew N

In the page settings, you can disable the master page just for that page. You would have to add all the items you want from the master page, or you can simply remove that image from the master and add desired images to the individual pages.
Photo of toddsstone1893194

toddsstone1893194

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How can I create for every page.

How can I put a text on one page and it copies to every page in th same place
Photo of Drew N

Hi toddsstone1893194,

Welcome to the community. Place the text on the master page and it will show on all.

Drew
Photo of Stan8034

Stan8034

• 414 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Business logo in template page header.

How do I customize the top of the template so each page displays with my company logo, images and slogan?
Photo of Drew N

The master page feature will do this for you.

Drew
Photo of Stan8034

Stan8034

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Customizing template page headers.

I want to modify the vanilla template header layout. I want to insert an image, background art, company logo and company slogan so that it appears at the top of each template page on my new (under construction) website. How do I do that?
Photo of Cheryl4232

Cheryl4232

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How do I make changes that show on all pages?.
Photo of Anita5392

Anita5392

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Creating a new page?.

I need to create a new page. When I create the page, all my images from home page also appear on new page. When I try to delete them, it says "Changes to this image will appear on all your pages". How do I start with a blank page?
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

Refer to Drew's message: In the page settings, you can disable the master page just for that page. You would have to add all the items you want from the master page, or you can simply remove that image from the master and add desired images to the individual pages.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How do I edit text to all my pages at once?.

How can I add text to all my pages at once?  So I can edit them simultaneously.
Photo of Drew N

Hi americangasworks6020,

You can add the text to the master template page.
Photo of whatsnext0163

whatsnext0163

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
HI there, how do I change the banner on my website? I also need to have the page background colour one colour and then then content another colour and have it as a layered look. I can not get things to be up front and in the background. It is if it si not working and covering some content.
Photo of whatsnext0163

whatsnext0163

How long does it take to get a simple answer here....it has been over 24 hours so far...
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

Each page you create has the same basic features. Click the icon next to page settings to toggle between preferences. You know, we are a community and you're not paying us to perform. We are volunteers aiming to help others as we've been helped. If you want to make demands, hire a webmaster.
Photo of whatsnext0163

whatsnext0163

and I knew this how? As far as I knew this was for general tech support help not volunteers! So the demands as you so kindly referred to the comment was justified at the time.  As for your help, I do appreciate all the help I can get, but I am not sure I am being clear. The banner on the master page is missing. maybe I will just start it all over again...seems to be the quicker solution. 
Good luck all.....
You can turn the yellow bar on and off using the icon next to "page settings".
Re community: https://community.homestead.com/homestead
Photo of whatsnext0163

whatsnext0163

@pursleysbriteway7569 Thank you for trying, I understand that part, however I am actually referring to the picture on the top of the page within a template. I have changed it and kept the page background as a solid colour, however the preview of the site shows the picture that I have placed on the top of the main page, which changes for all pages, has decided to be mirrored across the background of the actual website. I need it io be a solid colour and the banner, as I know it as, to be the picture that i have selected....I do not understand how it can say one thing snd show as something totally different....thoughts and help please, I am launching this company in less than 3 weeks. 
@drew and Michael - PLEASE HELP!
Photo of whatsnext0163

whatsnext0163

@Mike F. Are you able to go into the account and see what I am referring to. I have changed the banner picture on the what I think is the master page, however it has also decided it wants to be a repeated picture on the background, however when you click on the edit feature for the background it states the colour I picked and when I click on the preview...it is the banner picture splattered everywhere in the background. this does not make any sense at all....
Photo of William S

William S

• 18,858 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hello whatsnext0163,

I'd be more than happy to help you out. Are you still experiencing this issue? When previewing your site, your background appears okay and your banner image is only appearing on the top of every page. 

Photo of whatsnext0163

whatsnext0163

so I cannot understand this...when I click on the preview...I get a totally different look and page - so I should not go by what I see in the preview?
Photo of William S

William S

Sometimes the preview gets bugged like that and doesn't update. Try publishing the site, then loading the preview.
Photo of whatsnext0163

whatsnext0163

I will try it again....thank you kindly
Photo of whatsnext0163

whatsnext0163

but I do not want people to see the unfinished site....it launches March 18th with the launch of the firm....or will it be better to do everything on line?
Photo of William S

William S

You can un-publish the page after if you do not want it online. This way the files will sync and update.
Photo of whatsnext0163

whatsnext0163

how do you unpublish it?
Photo of William S

William S

You can find it in the file manager while editing your site.

https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/how_do_i_unpublish_a_page_i_created
Photo of Alan Davidson

Alan Davidson

• 296 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I've read that Sitebuilder Plus isn't compatible with the old version. I'm building a new site for a new business in Sitebuilder Plus yet there is no yellow button or Master page details? I'm very confused.
Alsdo is there a way I can wrap my text around an illustration?
Photo of Drew N

In order to use the master page feature, you must have the account set to Sitebuilder Plus only, so you would need to edit all sites with Plus. You would no longer be able to use desktop on the account.
Photo of Alan Davidson

Alan Davidson

I see. Excuse my dumbness but I'm nervously trying to determine if I can do a new (up to) 20 page news site myself for a new business. The old Sitebuilder allowed me to adjust the order of the editing index ... Website Plus seem to have dropped them in a random order. S-o if I have a "sport" page as the third one on the second line of the"click index" for the public it's not in my click order and/or might just be called "page 5". What am I missing. And Drew, sorry to go on but it is imperative that I be able to wrap my text around images ie embed them rather than have them standalone. I dont think I can do this, can I? Or can I?
Photo of Drew N

You can't wrap text around the picture.. You would need to use multiple text boxes.

If I am understanding the question concerning the site navigation, then you can read more about the linking and ordering of the links at the link below.

https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/how_do_i_edit_my_site_navigation_links
Photo of Alan Davidson

Alan Davidson

Thank you Drew, you have answered my questions with great clarity. Very much appreciated. Cheers A
Photo of Alan Davidson

Alan Davidson

Sorry to trouble again. Unfortunately, without text wraparound I won't be able to proceed with my new website with Homestead (morningtonpeninsulaonlinenews.com) as it will be very illustratively demanding. Therefore I have to do two things. Find a design group that incorporates my design needs (am thinking WordPress) but to, of course, keep the domain hosted by Homestead. Any reason why not? I have published it "Under Construction" but it's now not really required. How do I close it -but not my PR site - (alandavidsonpublicity.com) - and is there any problem with Homestead hosting another website? Sigh.
Photo of Alan Davidson

Alan Davidson

Drew this is another subject and I apologise for fogging issues. It's just I'm on a big learning curve and you're giving me answers I can understand!
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

You must have your new hosting company host your website. Homestead can maintain your domain registration.
Photo of Drew N

Alan Davidson,

Yes, if you build the site elswhere, then you can keep the domain here and point it to Wordpress or anyone else. We can also associate the domain to an existing site on your account and delete this one. Since the DNS will point elsewhere, it doesn't matter where the domain is associated on your Homestead account.
Photo of Alan Davidson

Alan Davidson

Hi Drew, I now have have a new host for your Domain name. I have done all that is required and now have and authorization code. What's my next move? They gave me this letter to send:
"I made a website using Weebly and need to point my domain to their servers.  Can you set this up or walk me through the process of making these changes?  I need to change my A-Records for both "www" and my root domain. That's one record for www.mydomain.com pointing to 199.34.228.59. And one record for mydomain.com also pointing to 199.34.228.59.  
If you need more info on these changes, please see:

http://kb.weebly.com/domain-registrar.html

Note that I want to keep using you as my domain registrar.  I am not requesting a transfer and do not have new name servers to provide you. 

Thanks!

Photo of Drew N

Alan Davidson,

Go to the domain manager and then click on Advanced DNS settings and you can edit the records.
Photo of Stefeni Engebritson

Stefeni Engebritson

• 194 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How can I get the nav bar on all the pages.

My nav bar only shows up on a few of my pages. I want it to come up on all of them. How do I achieve that once it's been published? Any help ????? Please!!!
Photo of Drew N

Adding the menu to the master page will make it appear in the same place on every page, unless you disable the master for an individual page.
Photo of Olivia9827

Olivia9827

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Stopping duplicate info on each page.

I upload photos to my homepage but it says they will be on every page. I don't want them on every page. How do I stop this?
Photo of dale0653

dale0653

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How do I prevent duplication from page to page? Or turn OFF " changes to this tex....
Photo of Sandy7469

Sandy7469

• 202 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled how do I make my navigation menu display and work on all my pages?.

I needed to create anew navigation menu on my existing web page. I deleted the old menu in site builder and tried to create a new menu. It works except the new menu does not display on any of my pages excepted home. How do I make it display on the other pages?
Photo of Drew N

You'll need to remove it from the homepage and place the menu on the master page.
Photo of javchase6363

javchase6363

• 128 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Cannot get navigation to show on all of my pages, only the home page.

I changed my navigation box location and now it is only appearing on the HOME page. I need it on all of my pages please
Photo of Drew N

Make sure you place the menu on the master page
Photo of Stefeni Engebritson

Stefeni Engebritson

• 194 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
If you set the nav menu up on the HOME PAGE...you can copy and paste it to all the other pages you create. That's what I did and it worked. Everytime I added a new page...it came up on ALL of the Nav menus. I don't know if that's the proper way to do it but it Works great!
(Edited)
Photo of Drew N

This suggestion will also work, but since you use a master page template, you can place the menu on the master and it will automatically go to all pages.
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

It never hurts to try something. Trial and error is a good thing.
Photo of randy3608

randy3608

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Adding new page.

I am in the process of makeing and editing my pages before I publish. Every time a make a new page my home page is at the top of my new page. Why is this? When i delete it I lose my work on my home page and have to redo.
Photo of linda7451

linda7451

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Help.

How can I change one of my pages boarder. When I clik on my boarder it says "changes on this boarder will appear on all pages", but I just want to make one boarder longer, not all boarders on all the pages. How can I accomplish this task?
Photo of Drew N

linda7451,

You would need to turn off the master page feature for that page. Keep in mind that all elements on your current master page would need to be added back to that page manually and changes on you master page in the future would have to be done again on that page.
Photo of Kay8734

Kay8734

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I want different information on every page, how can the yellow navigation bar be ....

I want to manually type different information for each page of my site and not have the same information, how can this be done?
Photo of Sally9254

Sally9254

• 270 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled customize pages.

My SitePlus website was created about 3 years ago and I do not believe I have a MasterPage. I would like to customize the pictures at the top of various pages but currently am unable to do that. I don't understand previous discussion o thsi topic I just want to customize individual pages. Thanks very much. p.s. I have set up a "new" website to work on while the original website is still published.
Photo of Drew N

What is the new site? If you just created a site, it will have a master page
Photo of Stan8034

Stan8034

Hi Drew,
How do I terminate receiving forum replies and comments from my old forum questions, so they stop coming to my email? Thanks.
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

• 58,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Select community from the bottom of this page and follow the thread thru your profile. You can deselect your participation.
Photo of William S

William S

Stan,

I have updated it for you.
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

• 58,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Will: I think it's great that you can do this for us but it doesn't help forum members or Homestead users learn their way around Homestead site. Developing skills and learning how to run the features will benefit those that try. Members need a little guidance to enable them to recognize that tools are available and they need to take initiative enabling them to learn how to seek them.
(Edited)
Photo of Sally9254

Sally9254

• 270 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I want different pictures at the top of each page. Very frustrated. How do I ac....

The pictures at the top of the index page show up on all the pages. How do I modify that? I've asked this question before, and (sorry), I'm having trouble understanding the answers. It seems that the answers all explain how TO make everything appear on the same page. I really am seriously thinking of going to a different webiste builder if I can't fix this. What am I missing? Thank you.
Photo of Drew N

You would need to remove the image from the master page and place each image on the desired page