How do I transfer my domain to another host?

• Article
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • (Edited)
Here are instructions to transfer your domain to another provider.

Note: ICANN regulations require domains to be with a provider for 60 days before they can be transferred to a new hosting company. Therefore, you can only transfer your domain name to another host if it's been with us for 60 days.

1. Click Domains in the left navigation menu.

2. Scroll down to your domain name. There are 4 things you need to do before you start the transfer.

• Edit Contact Info -- Make sure your email address is listed as the administrative contact. The authorization code (sometimes referred to as an EPP code or Domain password) will be sent to that email.

**IMPORTANT- IF YOU CHANGE THE EMAIL ON FILE FOR YOUR DOMAIN**
    Please follow the instructions in this article:
    https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/extremely_important_domain_information

• Unlock Domain -- Click Edit Domain Locking link and make sure your domain is unlocked.

• Disable Privacy -- Click Show Privacy Status and confirm it's disabled or off.

• Send Authorization Code -- Click Email your authorization code link. The next page will confirm the email address it will be sent to. Click Send to confirm.

• Once you've completed all 4 things, your domain is now ready to transfer out.

• Contact the new provider start the transfer process with them.
  • Photo of Homestead FAQ

Homestead FAQ, Employee

• 42,726 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Bruce3195

Bruce3195

• 356 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
    I am running into the same issue.  when I try to publish my account on GoDaddy I keep getting this:

Just one more step...

You have chosen to publish your site to an external domain you bought from another company. There are just a few more steps and you will be online with a secure site in no time.

1. Log into your domain provider's website and change the domain's A Record.
    2. Wait 20 minutes for the site to be secured.
    3. Re-Publish your website. This will successfully install the SSL certificate.
    For help, refer to the article Connect My Website to Another Domain

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
    In your Homestead account, go to the domains tab. Under the desired domain, click on Advanced DNS settings. There you can edit the DNS records. Make the changes that GoDaddy provides you.
    Can I transfer my domain now although it hasn't been 60 days. I saw the option to opt out in which I did. Its not letting me choose any other option to transfer the domain to. Thanks
    Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 43,936 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
    Hello,

You cannot opt out of the 60 day transfer lock with a new domain. You can point your domain via nameservers or IP address in the meantime.
    Ok thank you, and how can I redirect everything. When I click on domain and then change site association, it doesn't give me the option to input the nameservers or IP Address. It just shows homestead.
    Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

If you want to update the nameservers, I would recommend clicking on "Edit your nameservers"
    If you are wanting to update the DNS (an IP address), I recommend clicking on "Advanced DNS settings" It just depends on which one you choose to use.
    (Edited)
    Hi, I don't see any of those options. Is it under domain?
    Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Yes, right under where you would click "Change Site Association"
    Neither of those options are available to me. It doesn't give me the option to edit the nameserver nor click advanced options. The only thing I can click is change site association and when I click that, still nothing to click but the remote option of choosing to direct my site to homestead.
    Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Can you please post a screenshot of that screen from your side?
    Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Ooh I see. This is a fraud prevention feature. Many people were using our free 30 day trial to register domains and then transfer them without payment, so this option is no longer available through your account for the first 30 days.
    Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Are you trying to point the domain to an old site until you get the site built through Homestead?
    I found another hoster that fits what I need a little bit more than Homestead. But it looks as if I can't do anything for 60 days so, thanks for your help.