How do I setup an email client to check my Homestead mail?

• Question
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

There are many email clients out there that can be configured to check your Homestead mail. Below are some links to some popular clients you can use. They have detailed instructions on how to configure each one, with screenshots. If you have another email client which is not listed below, the settings below will work on nearly all email programs.

For IMAP
Username = Email Address
Password = your email password
Incoming server = imap.homestead.com
Outgoing server = smtp.homestead.com
Incoming port = 993
Outgoing port = 465
Turn the encryption/SSL setting to the On position for both incoming and outgoing

Important
: If you experience problems receiving email, you can change the encryption/SSL setting to the Off position, and change the incoming port  to 143 and change the outgoing port to 587

For POP
Username = Email Address
Password = your email password
Incoming server = pop.homestead.com
Outgoing server = smtp.homestead.com
Incoming port = 995
Outgoing port = 465
Turn the encryption/SSL setting to the On position for both incoming and outgoing

Important: If you experience problems receiving email, you can change the encryption/SSL setting to the Off position, and change the incoming port  to 110 and change the outgoing port to 587

If you aren't sure of the difference between POP and IMAP and why you would use one or the other, please click here. If you have a different client and would like instructions, please ask. We will see if we can accommodate the request.

Important Note: Software changes rapidly. If you see a future version of something we are missing, let us know. We will see if we can get it done. Keep in mind, newer versions often look the same or similar. Our settings are not changing, so you may be able to make it work

POP3 Settings
Outlook 2013
Outlook 2010
Windows 10 Mail

Windows 7 Live Mail
Mozilla Thunderbird
Mac Mail OS X(Mavericks)
Outlook 2011 for Mac OS X(Mavericks)
Android Stock client
Android k-9 mail application
Gmail
Mailbird
Android-BlueMail App
Opera Mail

IMAP Settings
Outlook 2013
Outlook 2010
Windows 10 Mail
Windows 7 Live Mail
Mozilla Thunderbird
Mac Mail OS X(Mavericks)
Outlook 2011 for Mac OS X(Mavericks)
Android Stock client
Android k-9 mail application
iPhone/iPad
Mailbird
Android- BlueMail App
Opera Mail
Android- Outlook App
Android- Edison Mail App
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,676 Points 100k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Les0211

Les0211

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled My email is not sending from my Outlook.

Hi there, My email is receiving but not sending. I have followed the instructions here exactly but still no luck.
http://websitehelp.homestead.com/SBMaster/Content/EmailPOP3Settings.htm

Please assist!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hi Les0211, can you select your version of Outlook from the links in this topic and check the settings. That link you have is very old and should no longer exist, though that part of it, does look the same.

If that doesn't resolve it, is it only one of your addresses? or all of them having trouble?
Photo of Julie7375

Julie7375

• 252 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How do I access webemail from the Roundcube Android App.

I have downloaded the Roundcube App to my Android phone, but can't figure out the settings to allow me access to our Roundcube email accounts. Can anyone help me?  TIA
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Julie7375, The mobile app does not function with our installation of Roundcube Webmail. My preference is to use K-9 mail. It is a great app and works very well for all my emails. The settings are available by link above.
Photo of michelle4450

michelle4450

• 292 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How do I set up my email on my Android S8?.

I am trying to set up my homestead email in my email app on my Android S8 and it won't take.   How do I set it up on my phone? 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

michelle4450, I use k-9 mail on my S7. It is far better than the included mail client.
Photo of michelle4450

michelle4450

What is the ingoing and outgoing server I should be using.  I tried using the ones at the top of this thread but it's not working 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Those are the correct settings. At what point is it getting stuck? What mail client are you trying to set up? Are you able to log into the Webmail program?
Photo of michelle4450

michelle4450

I played with it a little more and got it fixed.  thank you 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Excellent.
Photo of Lisa4442

Lisa4442

• 184 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Receiving error messages for email on mac, iphone and ipad. Are there new settin....

I have changed the password, trying changing the ports.  Keep getting error messages on macbook, iphone and ipad.  Are there new settings?  Is there an issue with email?
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 40,592 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey there Lisa4442

This article has the settings we need for email to work. There is not a current known issue with email. Have you checked if you can use the email in our Webmail, Roundcube?
Photo of Cathi0232

Cathi0232

• 696 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled update ssl now email does not work.

Did the SSl Update and now I can't get email in Outlook. How do I fix this?
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Hey  Cathi0232

Nothing in the Cloudflare set up should affect your email set up, so it is possible this change just refreshed your DNS and made Outlook aware that their settings are outdated. Please update Outlook with the settings in this article..
Photo of doubledofnc0572

doubledofnc0572

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Having difficulty adding a email account to a gmail account on a MAC.  It keeps giving an error message with IMAP and SMTP.  What can be done?
(Edited)
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Hello doubledofnc0572

Please scroll up and reference the settings in this article. Make sure this matches the settings you are using.
Photo of Xavier8726

Xavier8726

• 240 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Using outlook 2016 and I can receive emails.

Using outlook 2016 and I can receive emails but as of 10/15/2018, I'm unable to send emails (no notification of a of a bounce back), sometimes an email will go through on a reply but not on a new email being sent out.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,646 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Can you confirm you are using all the correct settings for your outgoing mail? Does the mail stay in the Outbox? or just not get delivered?
Photo of Xavier8726

Xavier8726

Thank you and I've confirmed the correct settings. I'm using IMAP settings for Outlook 2013 w/ my Outlook 2016 version and email doesn't sit in the outbox but the recipient's aren't getting the email. I tested the incoming and outgoing ports and it completed successful. I'm receiving emails just not able to send email.
(Edited)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I saw some outgoing messages that said there was a flag. I was able to clear it with the spam service. Can you try again any time.
Photo of Xavier8726

Xavier8726

Thank you! I was just able to cc myself on an outgoing email...I will try a few more.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You're welcome.
Photo of Xavier8726

Xavier8726

Drew, I'm having the same issue again with outgoing messages, it appears to be flagging anyone with a gmail account this time, please assist.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hello Xavier8726,

So I looked at the logs and since I fixed it on October 16th only 2 messages have been flagged by our service. They were both sent from you to you, so I am not sure what happened there. If gmail recipients are not receiving the emails, then they are being blocked on the gmail side. We show successful delivery to gmail addresses. The recipient would have to find out why Google is blocking it and see how to get it fixed.

As for the 2 messages I saw that were flagged. I attempted to clear them, but was not successful. The service responded that they had several spam flags. They will need some information to look more deeply. Unfortunately this may come with difficulty. I understand you are using Outlook 2016. There is a standard format for email called RFC822 (.eml). This is what we need from you to analyze it further. Unfortunately, Microsoft doesn't always support standards. You will likely need to contact Microsoft support to get this format for us. It is possible that the 2016 version does support it. I use 2013 and it does not. The message you are looking for in your sent folder was sent by you on
10/27/2018 at  17:38(logs may be off by time zone) from xepps@xnefinance.com and was sent to you at xepps@xnefinance.com
Depending on time zones it might not show in your Outlook as 17:38, but the minutes should match. It also appears it might be the only outbound email that day.

I am sorry I am unable to provide instruction on this process, but in my research, I was only able to locate a couple of 3rd party tools to accomplish this task and I know nothing of their origin and so can't advise their use. If there is an advised tool for you to use, Microsoft support should be able to advise you how to acquire it.
Photo of Xavier8726

Xavier8726

Thanks Drew for your thorough explanation, I have since discovered I'm receiving emails from Gmail users but ALL of my outgoing messages to Gmail is being flagged as spammy...I've literally gone thru 20 emails with various clients to have them mark it as not spam and move to their inbox but the very next email goes back to the spam folder. Is there anything else I can do?
(Edited)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Good morning Xavier8726, Unfortunately, it isn't possible for me to know what the problem is on Google's side. They might have a server level filter on these messages. I have made a change to your DNS records. I have added a DMARC record. There is a possibility that this will help, but I have no way of knowing for sure. It could take up to 24 hours for the record to propagate.

In order to know what the problem is, the recipient would have to ask Google what the problem is. If they have taken issue with something with your practices or our servers, then we would be better equipped to address the issue. Hopefully this record change may resolve it for you. Try again later and see if it succeeds. If not let me know and I will see if I can think of anything else, but I am not seeing any systemic issue on our side. Nor have I seen other customers having this issue on a scale that would indicate a system problem.
Photo of Sharon4465

Sharon4465

• 70 Points
I am having a difficult time "linking" my domain & gmail account. Adding the domain to my gmail account. This is the error message I receive: There was a problem communicating with pop.homestead.comServer returned error: "Connection closed by remote host: The other server terminated our connection. Please contact your other email provider for more information."

Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 41,004 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Photo of Sharon4465

Sharon4465

• 70 Points
I have multipul times and get the same error: "There was a problem communicating with pop.homestead.comServer returned error: "Connection closed by remote host: The other server terminated our connection. Please contact your other email provider for more information.""
Photo of yvyramirez114111

yvyramirez114111

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I have my email set up on Outlook, but every time I open Outlook, it gives me a C....
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 41,004 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Please go through the settings on your Outlook account and replace any information that does not match these settings.
Photo of sales3622

sales3622

• 176 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Need help setting up homestead email on Outlook 365.

Having issues on getting my homestead emails to work properly on Outlook 365 - does anyone have instructions for this one?  
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Hello,

In this article you will find the settings that are needed to get Homestead email to work in email clients like Outlook.
Photo of gmasolar6130

gmasolar6130

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled hello. how can I configurate my email created in homestead to my smartphone.

hello. how can I configurate my  email created in homestead to my smartphone
Photo of Kenneth4930

Kenneth4930

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled What are the Outlook 2019 settings to work with Roundcube email? (imap, pop, port....

What are the Outlook 2019 settings to work with Roundcube email? (imap, pop, ports. etc.) Am going around in circles, receives but will not send. tnx
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

The settings are the same for all client software, but we do not have screenshots for Outlook 2019.
Photo of C. Fred2572

C. Fred2572

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Outlook email browser keeps blocking outbound emails and says my server's securi....

my Outlook email browser keeps blocking outbound emails and says  my server's security certificate cannot be verified
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Check out the settings at the top of the page. You are probably using your domain name in the server name. Switch that to the aapropriatehomestead.com server and you should no longer get that message
Photo of yvyramirez114111

yvyramirez114111

Thank you!  It worked!
Photo of scott1178

scott1178

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled What is the outgoing mail server address?.
Photo of RICHARD E.5283

RICHARD E.5283

• 342 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Problem w/ Outgoing STMP e-mail server settings.

Send test e-mail message: Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
Incoming server setting are good. I have tried outgoing port of 465 and 587 w/o SSL turned on/off. Are their other outgoing port setting available to use?
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Hello,

Please make sure your settings match with the information we provide here.
Photo of texaspistols2649

texaspistols2649

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Our email is not working, it says there is a problem with the certificate. I cann....

When trying to send or receive emails, I receive a message that our certificate is not working. Please advise how to resolve.
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Hello,

Please make sure your settings match with the information we provide here.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.