How do I set up POP3 email in Outlook 2013?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
When configuring POP3 email accounts in Outlook 2013, you can now opt to have multiple emails accounts going into a single inbox, or have a separate inbox for each mailbox. These instructions are for setting up a POP3 account in Outlook 2013. If you would like to know more about the difference between IMAP and POP, then please click here.

1) To setup your POP3 account, launch Outlook. Click on File.

2) You will need to click on Account Settings, then again on the Account Settings in the drop down.

3) You have a choice here.
If this is a new POP account then select New. You will see a couple of screens not pictured here. You will want to setup an email account and select POP
If you already have the account setup and are changing the settings, then highlight the appropriate account in the list and click Change

4) Enter these settings:
Incoming mail server: pop.homestead.com
Outgoing mail server SMTP: smtp.homestead.com
Enter your email for the User Name and your email password
If you select New Outlook Data File, then you will see an inbox for each configured account on the left side of Outlook when checking mail.
If you select Existing Outlook Data File, then you will have all mail brought into a single inbox. Pictures of the 2 can be found at the end of these instructions.
Click on More Settings.

5) In the Outgoing Server tab, check the box for "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" and select "Use same settings as my incoming server."
Click OK

6) On the Advanced tab, Input the following settings:
Incoming server: 995
Check the box for "This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)
Outgoing server (SMTP): 465
Use the following type of encrypted connection: TLS
Click OK

Below are how the different configurations will appear when using Outlook 2013. The first will have a single mailbox name with all configured accounts filtering into a single inbox. You can use Outlook rules to automatically move incoming emails to different folders for organization.The second image shows multiple inboxes. 1 for each configured account.

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Community Manager

• 262,524 Points 100k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Rebecca2758

Rebecca2758

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I followed all these steps, seems to have worked except I'm not receiving new emails. All old emails were downloaded up to yesterday, however anything from today is not showing in outlook. I manual check for new messages and have it set for every 10 minutes.

However I am able to send emails through outlook.

PLEASE HELP!
Photo of Drew N

• 262,340 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hello. You are one of the very few still on the old mail system. These are the settings for the new mail system. You should be migrated in the next few days. Do you need the old settings, or are you able to use Webmail until the migration is complete?

Drew
Photo of Rebecca2758

Rebecca2758

I would like the old settings please
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,458 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Rebecca2758, Your account could be converted any day, but, here are the old settings for the Zimbra system:

For IMAP
Username = Email Address
Password = your email password
Incoming server = mail.homesteadmail.com
Outgoing server = smtp.homesteadmail.com
Incoming port = 143
Outgoing port = 587
Encryption/SSL = Off

For POP
Username = Email Address
Password = your email password
Incoming server = mail.homesteadmail.com
Outgoing server = smtp.homesteadmail.com
Incoming port = 110
Outgoing port = 587
Encryption/SSL = Off

The only thing different, is the incoming and outgoing server names.
Photo of kimberlyford0790714

kimberlyford0790714

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I responded to the IMAP email thread but also thought I would respond here as well. I also tried to setup my email using POP instead of IMAP and I'm still experiencing the same issue with my accounts, the server is rejecting my login. I've tested logging into the webmail (Zimbra) and I can get into my email accounts (all four of them) but I am unable to configure my Outlook clients to connect to the servers...every account, I receive an error indicating that my email server rejected my login. Any ideas?!?

Thanks!
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

I responded to your other post.
Photo of Michelle7845

Michelle7845

• 770 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I have tried using IMAP and POP and nothing is working.  I have placed some screen shots so you can see what it's doing.  I can get it to work on my phone perfectly but it's not working on my laptop in outlook. 

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Michelle7845,   Try changing the outgoing port number from 587 to 25 and see if that works. Some ISPs block on or the other. 

Mike 
Photo of Michelle7845

Michelle7845

I am still getting the same error message
Photo of Drew N

Hi Michelle7845,

Under More settings, on the outgoing server tab, make sure you have the box checked that says My outgoing server requires authentication, and use the same settings as the incoming server.  This error almost always means that Outlook is not supplying the correct credentials to log in to the outgoing server.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Michelle7845

Michelle7845

Thank you that worked.  
Photo of Drew N

Glad to hear it.
Photo of Mike4959

Mike4959

• 60 Points
I am trying to change my settings from IMAP to POP3, however under the serever information the menu is grey and won't let me change that setting. any good ideas?
Photo of William S

William S

• 18,878 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hello Mike4959,

You would have to remove the IMAP account first then add the POP3. 
Photo of piwits7593

piwits7593

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled After creating it, how do I get my email account active?.

On my email accounts page it shows my 3 brand new email accounts with options to edit or trash but no way to test them. I'm trying to configure them on my outlook but have no info on homestead's POP or mail coordinates
Photo of Michelle7845

Michelle7845

I am having a problem again trying to add my email to outlook.  I am getting this error and no matter what I do it keep getting this error. 

Photo of Drew N

The most common cause of this error is the first picture in step 5. The outgoing tab in more settings.
Photo of FEATwm

FEATwm

Does this secure port setting for the incoming server on my end create a secure route from Homestead's email server to my inbox so that form data sent as plain text can't be intercepted or viewed by others during transmission?
Photo of Drew N

Homestead forms are not sent via secure means. If you need secure forms, then you may want to look into a 3rd party form builder that does support secure forms.
Photo of FEATwm

FEATwm

Thank you.
Photo of Drew N

You're welcome