How do I set up email on my Android phone?

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I'd like to set up my email on my Android phone. How do I do that?
Photo of Homestead FAQ

Homestead FAQ, Employee

• 42,916 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Homestead FAQ

Homestead FAQ, Employee

• 42,916 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
To set up your email on an Android (Droid) phone, follow the steps below.

We recommend setting up an IMAP email account for customers that want to check email from multiple sources (home computer, work computer, phone, etc).

We recommend this setting because an IMAP email account will show all your emails and folders from the server on your phone. IMAP only shows messages from the server instead of pulling them and removing them. When you use IMAP, an email message is only removed from the email server when you choose to delete it. Your IMAP email account synchronizes your device or email client with the server.

1. On your Android phone, click the Mail icon. To locate the icon, open the applications tray.

2. Add a New Account.

• If you already have an email account set up, touch Menu. Go to More and then, touch New Account.

• If you don't have an email account set up, Choose a mail provider. Touch Other (POP3/IMAP).

Note: If you don't see the More option, go to Menu and touch Accounts. Then, go to Menu and touch Add account.
  • Enter your email address and password. Then touch Manual set up.

• Select IMAP.

• Change the IMAP server to mail.homesteadmail.com

• Confirm the Incoming Settings:

• Port: 143

• User name: your email address

• Password: your mailbox password

• Security Type: None

• Touch Next.

• In the Outgoing server settings, change the SMTP server to: smtp.homesteadmail.com.

• Confirm the Outgoing server settings:

• Port: 587

• User Name: your email address

• Password: your mailbox password

• Security Type: None

• Touch Finish set up.

• Hope this helps!

Did this answer help? If so, please mark 'good answer' below for other people to find this post. Also like us on Facebook and Twitter to learn more about how to grow your business.
    Photo of Luis4537

Luis4537

• 60 Points
    Thanks a lot! quick and easy
    Photo of Karri4181

Karri4181

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
    I did this more than 15 times and it doesn't work. I want to set it up IMAp and it is just not working. HELP
    Photo of Robert S.3530

Robert S.3530

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
    This was a extremely helpful.. Followed the directions and now I'm looking at my e-mail on My Samsung Galaxy Note II.

Thank You

CoachRob1127
    Photo of Natasha9830

Natasha9830

• 60 Points
    I did this several times and it still won't work! I finally routed my Untuit webmail to forward to my gmail account so I can see it on my phone. This is a compromise. Any ideas?
    Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
    Try to completely delete the email account on you android and reconfigure it, in case there is a typo that your not seeing. The settings in the steps above are universal for almost every email client. The only variable is in step #8, if outgoing port #587 does not work, you can try changing it to 25 instead.

Also, as you can see form this forum you are not the only one having trouble with the android email app. You might try install an email app from the Google Play store. I've used Aquamail and K9 email and they both work very well.
    Photo of robkeene22817

robkeene22817

• 342 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
    When I try to set this up on my android device I never get passed the IMAP incoming mail step. I get an error box that says can't connect to server (also have this same problem in outlook). This is the first time I have tried to set it up on my android phone. Can you help.

Also, any idea when this new open xchange email is going to be fixed where it doesn't time me out and force me to login before I can finish reading a 2 line email. It is starting to affect my business.
    Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

If you are on OpenXchange and using the instructions here, the are the wrong ones. You'll want to use the settings here:
    https://community.homestead.com/homes...
    Photo of Jorge8016

Jorge8016

• 60 Points
    I used the same way.
    It is working INBOX email that I receive and SENT email that I sent but the others folder are empty.

Please advise
    Photo of Kelly O'Brien Gavin

Kelly O'Brien Gavin

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
    I am having issues with gettingmy email to sync on my tablet how do you set it up?

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
    Android tablet & email.
    Photo of dan0819

dan0819

• 62 Points
    I can not get my email to set up on my galaxy s3. when I try I get a message unable to connect to server. HELP it's my business email for customers to contact me.

can't set up email.
    Photo of Marcy0335

Marcy0335

• 1,452 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
    dan0819 - I had the same problem but finally got it fixed. If you haven't gotten it resolved yet, try this:

In step #5 "Change the IMAP server to mail.homesteadmail.com" - make sure you take out "IMAP" and only enter "mail.homesteadmail.com" (minus the quotes).

I finally figured out that mine didn't work because I didn't take out the word IMAP.

Hope this helps :-)
    Photo of Tina4789

Tina4789

• 60 Points
    I've had the same problem and did the IMAP part correctly but it still says the same thing. It also says that when I type in my email address for user name that it is different than when I first put it in, but it's not. SO FRUSTRATING!!!!
    Photo of Chris4158

Chris4158

• 156 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
    how do i set up my intuit webmail to work on my galaxy s3? I'm stuck at the servers

configuring droid galaxy s3 to work w homesteadmail.
    Photo of Aubrey T

Aubrey T

• 15,316 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
    Hi Chris -

Please check out the steps above! Let us know if you have any trouble.

Thanks,
    Aubrey
    Photo of Carmen2949

Carmen2949

• 62 Points
    how do I set up email on samsung note ll?.
    Photo of encarni5524

encarni5524

• 62 Points
    Hi!

Who can help me with the credentials needed to set te email on my android? Need some help with that!

Setting Zimbra on my android phone.
    Photo of Karri4181

Karri4181

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
    This is not working for a set up on my Samsung 4. Any other suggestions?
    Photo of matt8797

matt8797

• 60 Points
    Not working on mine either. Not a happy camper!!!!!! 3 hours on the phone with homestead. 3 days trying to configure.
    Photo of Pamela7842

Pamela7842

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
    Unable to send email through Samsung phone or tablet.

Have email set up on android tablet and Samsung Galaxy II, but unable to send any emails. I receive them but can not respond. I have read the other topics but do not see where this issue is addressed. Please help!
    Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

There are a lot of different email apps available for Android devices but they all use the same settings for pop or imap. In your case, if you an receive, but not send, double check your outgoing settings, to make sure they match what is shown in this thread. (if the outgoing port of 587 does not work, they you can also try 25)

Mike
    Photo of Pamela7842

Pamela7842

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
    Thanks Mike
    When I try to send using 587 it says sending failed, server error. I inputted 25 as you suggested and it says unable to connect to email server to verify your account information. No response from server. Any other suggestion? Thanks
    Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Change it back to 587, and if there is an SSL setting make sure it's turned off. Then retype email address (which is the username), and double check that the outgoing server name is mail.homesteadmail.com

Even if they look correct, erase them and type them again.

Also make sure the password you are using has at least 8 characters and one capital letter.

If you still get any error messages let us know.

Mike
    Photo of flourfetish8567

flourfetish8567

• 60 Points
    Not sure if you figured this out Pamela7842. I found that entering smtp.homesteadmail.com did the trick for the outgoing server issue. Hope this helps.
    Photo of Dustin6344

Dustin6344

• 70 Points
    Do ANY of the staff on here realize that most of us whom own and operate our own businesses; much less our own websites, we're smart enough to have read the previous—however many—threads and that answering us with "try this (fill in the blank of any comment above) DOES NOT solve problems that we are REPEATEDLY listing with Samsung Galaxy devices!

How about actually RESEARCHING the issue, recreating the problem and creating a solution?!

This company's tech support is the LEAST helpful I have every dealt with and I waste MORE time getting answers to straight-forward questions than I have been able to keep track of!

It's like calling tech support for your new television not working and being asked five different ways if you've PLUGGED THE TV IN!
    Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hello Dustin6344,

Welcome to the Community. Sorry for your frustration, but for us to be able to help you can you please tell us where you are stuck? I see that you have never posted a question here before. If you can't find an answer, feel free to just ask.

Mike
    Photo of careyreddick4839

careyreddick4839

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
    HTC.

I would like instructions on setting my email up on my HTC One and Samsung Galaxy III thank you
    Photo of Neil0117

Neil0117

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
    I have followed these instructions 6 times and am still unable to send an email from my Android phone. Do you have a solution or not?
    Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Neil0117, The settings above are universal for all email clients and apps, and our ability to troubleshoot 3rd party apps and software is very limited. If you are certain that you have all the settings entered correctly, then you might try uninstalling and reinstalling the email app, or trying a different app.

I have personally found the stock Android email app to not be so good, especially with the IMAP configuration it tends not to delete emails from the inbox. I've had good success with the K-9 email app and the AquaMail app both available in the Android market.

If this post helps, please give a "Star" and complete this survey to rate me.

Thanks!

Mike
    Photo of Neil0117

Neil0117

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
    Loaded the free version of K-9 and everything is working great. Very easy install too, thank you.
    Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Glad to hear it's working! Mike
    Photo of agleasonhr5695

agleasonhr5695

• 186 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
    Still having Android email problems. Haven't found solution anywhere on the web.

I am having a lot of trouble setting up my homestead email to my Android Galaxy S (the lowest model). I have tried the answers to this question all over this Homestead community and none of them are working. I think my troubles lie in the domain/exchange server/or username. Again, I have already tried the answers already given multiple times. There must be a way.
    Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Make sure you can log into your email at this site: https://mail.homesteadmail.com/zimbra/ (to confirm you are using the correct username and password), and that your password is at least 8 characters and contains at least one capital letter. If it doesn't you'll have to change the password to meet those minimums. Then if you are sure all the other settings are correct, and it still won't configure, you might try a different email app like mentioned above, or contact your service provider for assistance.

Mike
    Photo of Debbie9231

Debbie9231

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
    how can i sync my android smartphone to send and receive emails.

I keep getting cannot connect to server
    Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Follow the steps above, and if you check your email from more than one device or computer then use the IMAP settings instead of POP.

Mike
    I just want to say the K-9 app fixed all the problems I was having give it a try.. I have the Samsung galexyS4
    Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Thanks for sharing. I have found it also to work better than the original email app.
    Photo of hmbcontracting8517

hmbcontracting8517

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Directions worked perfectly and on the first try even!!! i was driving myself bonkers trying to get my work email set up until I came across this. Thank you again, much appreciated!!!!
    Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You're welcome!
    Photo of kathy8191

kathy8191

How do I set up my android phone to receive e-mail?.
    Photo of just4733

just4733

Samsung Note 3 Email setup.

I am trying to set up my homestead email account on my new Samsung Note 3. I am trying to setup as POP3. I have my email put in the "username", mail.homestead.com in the "POP3 Server", no security selected, port 110, and the email and password correctly put in. I get the error message "Setup could not finish: Unable to connect to server (-ERR Authentication failed)" I have perfect wifi connection. HELP!!
    Photo of Barry7445

Barry7445

• 144 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
    How do I get my Andoid phone to receive email from Zimbra. It can send but not receive.
    Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

If your email account was recently converted from the Zimbra system to our new OpenXchange system, follow the steps on this thread instead: https://community.homestead.com/homes... otherwise proceed with the steps below.
    Photo of Barry7445

Barry7445

• 144 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.