How do I set up an iPhone or iPad to access email? (when using Open-Xchange)

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

1. On the iPhone or iPad home screen, touch the Settings icon.

2. Select Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

3. Touch Add Account

4. Touch Other.

5. Select Add Mail Account.

6. Enter your personal information. Then, touch Next.

• Name: Enter your name. For example, John Doe.

• Email: Enter your email address. For example, john@mydomain.com.

• Password: Enter the password created when you set up the email.

• Description: Enter a description. For example, My Domain Email.

7. Select IMAP (or select POP3). (We
recommend you use IMAP. IMAP accounts are the recommended option for customers that want to check email from multiple sources (home computer, work computer, mobile phone).)

VERY IMPORTANT: If you select IMAP in this step, then you may need to configure additional settings. After completing the steps below, you will want to visit the following pages:

Deleting emails: https://community.homestead.com/homes...

Viewing sent emails: https://community.homestead.com/homes...

8. Enter the following information:

Enter your name. For example, John Doe.

Email: Enter your email address. For example, john@mydomain.com

Description: Enter a description. For example, My Domain Email.

Incoming Mail Server

• Hostname for IMAP: imap.homestead.com

• Hostname for POP3: pop.homestead.com

• User Name: Enter your email address. For example, john@mydomain.com.

Outgoing Mail Server

• Hostname: smtp.homestead.com

• User Name: Enter your email address. For example, john@mydomain.com.

9. Touch Next.

10. If you don't get a server error, you are finished configuring your iPhone to send and receive email.

Troubleshooting

If you get the error message Cannot Connect Using SSL, touch Yes.

Then, if you see a second error message, Secure Connection Failed, touch Continue.

FOR IMAP: If prompted, your Incoming Server Port number is 143, and the Outgoing Server Port number is 587.

FOR POP3: If prompted, your Incoming Server Port number is 110, and the Outgoing Server Port number is 587.

If you receive a warning that the server could not be verified, touch Continue and then disable SSL as follows:

Go back into Settings and touch Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

Select your new account, then scroll to the bottom and click Advanced.

Make sure that "use SSL" is not selected.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Jerry5652

Jerry5652

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
ipad sending mail.

I can't send an email from my ipad from the homestead account. anyone know why this happens. it gives error message that the server i'm sending to won't accept relaying.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Your account has been upgraded to our new email system and will require your ipad to be reconfigured.

If you have other devices or computers that need configured you can find additional configuration instructions here: https://community.homestead.com/homes...

Mike
Photo of Sandra3859

Sandra3859

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I am unable to send email.

after losing all email service last Thursday I received help to get my email set up to receive but now I am still unable to send emails from my iphone.

this is a business, I have to send email
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Double check your outgoing settings according to what is shown above.
Photo of twiggy

twiggy

• 2,430 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
HI there,
I have the iphone5 and I do not have a couple of the steps done that you have above. I do not have an option for pop and I have just server and not one for in and out....when I unclick "Make sure that "use SSL" is not selected." it keeps selecting it....
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Twiggy, Sorry for the slow response.  I have never seen any version of the iphone that doesn't have both servers.  It just might be hidden.  Did you manage to find it?

Drew
Photo of twiggy

twiggy

how can I upload the pic I took of the screen in order to prove this to you.see next comment for the pictures of the screen..thanks
Photo of twiggy

twiggy

I am not able to use these settings above...
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

If you need to upload an image for us to see, you'll need to scroll to the bottom of this page in the new "reply" box, you'll see an icon in the lower corner to import an image. If you are setting up a new configuration, it should give you an option to select either POP or IMAP, but, if you are just updating an existing configuration, it won't give you the option. If the latter is true, then all you need to do is change the server names. Also, Apple devices are a bit different than others especially when setting up IMAP accounts. If you are creating an IMAP account, you'll want to read this: https://community.homestead.com/homes...
Photo of twiggy

twiggy

see new reply ....it is not working at all now....ggrrr
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

twiggy, can you please post your replies in a chronological order single thread, I'm unsure of where you are stuck as you have more recent posts listed above some of the older posts below. Are you still stuck? if so please tell us with more description what is wrong. We are happy to help you out but "it's not working" does not give us enough information to understand what is wrong.
Photo of twiggy

twiggy

I would love to but I was not able to upload the pictures that is the only reason.
Regardless, I am not able to upload my contacts from the webased emails. etc to Outlook. What do I save them as? I have tried a few things and now I have duplicates and the info is all there except the email which is the important info.
As for the iphone, I deleted the account on the phone and tried a few times to start fresh and I keep getting that the imap is incorrect. that the password is not correct and everything is exact to what you have on here. Due to having my actual hotmail account on my phone I am not able to use the outlook that is what has my hotmail account. I am going out of my mind here trying to get both resolved...and I also have to go into the webased emails and delete a bunch as it goes into the yellow and red still....why?? thank you for all your help but I seriously can not operate this way!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

We are looking to see if there is any problem with your account that may account for this.

Drew
Photo of twiggy

twiggy

Thank you.....
Photo of twiggy

twiggy

Here are the screen shots for you

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I don't have an iphone to see what is going on. Somewhere, there has to be a setting for the outgoing server. Very few companies use the same setting for both, so unless Apple wants to lose a ton of business, it's in there, I just don't know where.

I can understand not having a POP option, but IMAP should still work.

I don't know why you are unable to deselect SSL. There may be something going on with your phone.

I do see 1 error in your screenshot. IMAP uses port 143. Port 110 is for POP. Try that and let us know, but you may need to seek help from Apple if you can't find the Outgoing server setting.

Drew
Photo of twiggy

twiggy

I can get mail....but it is still not letting me send...and I found the outgoing it is under the incoming when you back in to make adjustments. when you pick the email your adjusting or fixing. I will take another snap shop and send it.....
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Photo of twiggy

twiggy

Thank you, I will try it.
Photo of twiggy

twiggy

Ok..I have deleted he account off my iphone in order to start again...I cannot use the OUTLOOK as I have that for my hotmail account...I am using "other"
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Outlook is capable of handling multiple email accounts if it matters.
Photo of Cara9135

Cara9135

• 202 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I've gone through all of this a number of times and still can't get my email to work on my Iphone.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

What is happening?

Drew
Photo of James7644

James7644

• 60 Points
I've changed all the settings and my iphone is sending and receiving but when I tell it to delete a message it comes up and says unable to move message, the message could not be moved to the mailbox trash.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Please take a look at step #7 above and the "important" note. This is likely the issue.
Photo of Michele3150

Michele3150

• 282 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I am running into a few different issues with my iphone.

1. I am also having an issue that I can't delete emails on my iphone. A few minutes after marking them as trash an error message comes up that says:

Unable to Move Message
The message could not be moved to the mailbox Trash.

The emails then show back up in my inbox.

2. I believe there might be a problem moving all emails to different folders. I have just tried to move a few emails and they look as if they drop into the new folder. However, when you check the folder they are not there and are still showing up in my inbox.

3. Another issue I see is that I can't open up and view emails that have multiple replies. The IOS 7 will show an email with multiple replies in the inbox with a double arrow at the right next to the date of the email. This should open up the emails for you to view them which it does not. It will highlight the email but then nothing happens.
Photo of Michele3150

Michele3150

• 282 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I stumbled upon the fix for the trash issue when trying to correct another problem. Here is a link for anyone else looking:

https://community.homestead.com/homes...

I am now able to move emails to my folders. I am not sure why it is working now and wasn't earlier.

Also, the issue with the emails with replies not opening is now working.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Correct. that is the right page. We've also added a special not under step #7 above.

Mike
Photo of Patti7617

Patti7617

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
After having Mike F not actually read what I wrote in regards to not being able to send emails from my iPad, and close out the question before he actually solved the issue, I still can't send emails from my iPad. I reconfigured my email accounts the day I was downgraded to this idiotic system, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to send or receive anything. DAYS later I sent out several emails, didn't set the iPad down, composed another email and started getting a message that "the recipient was rejected by the server because it doesn't allow relaying". Because I am smart enough to use computers, the first thing I did was make sure all of the settings were correct. Since I don't want to have to turn on my desktop just to send out emails, and I like being able to email from the road, I need to find an actual answer to the blasted issue.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Patti7617, Can you please point out to me your other post which I closed. I'm sorry If I missed something but this post is the only I can see that you've made.

The error you posted above could be a couple of things. First, according to the Apple support forums, it indicates a misconfiguration in the email app. If you can tell us if you are configuring IMAP, or POP, and then tell us what you have entered in each field, we'll help identify any problems.

Also, that error can occur if you have an auto-forward set up and are auto-forwarding to your self. If you do, you'll obviously want to remove it.

If you are certain that you have the configuration settings correct, then you'll want to reset your password and test the settings again. This page shows how/where to change the email password: https://community.homestead.com/homes...
Photo of twiggy

twiggy

here is the picture with the message I am getting now that I delted the account in order to start over....now I am not receiving or getting as it won't let me set anything up
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Start by resetting the email password: https://community.homestead.com/homes...

Then in the username field, make sure you are using the full email address.
Photo of Howard9416

Howard9416

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Can I speak to a live person to help me configure email on my ipad and iphone..
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Follow the steps here. Be sure to look at the special note in #7 above.
Photo of shelley8259

shelley8259

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Not able to adde homestead email to my new iPhone 5s..

Having problems setting up email from my new iPhone 5.Although put input the correct information from the latest iPhone instructions from the homestead website, I still get an error that either my user name or password is incorrect.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

This page shows all the settings to double check It could be one, or a combination of the email address/username, server name, port number, or having SSL turned on instead off off. If all these things are correct, try resetting the password; https://community.homestead.com/homes...
Photo of shelley8259

shelley8259

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I double checked the settings and asked someone else to check is as well. I also reset the password but the email still would not connect. I still get the error message the user name and/or password are incorrect.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Shelley8259, This is difficult for us to troubleshoot since we can not actually see your device. Sometimes the best thing to do is just completely delete the account from the phone and start over, to make sure there are not typos.

Also, make sure SSL setting is turned off. If I'm not mistaken, Apple turns this on as a default.

Mike
Photo of Bryon6904

Bryon6904

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This is totally bogus. I have tried the steps numerous times and it keeps telling me username or password are incorrect. R U KIDDING ME!!!!!! Horrible upgrade. The desktop version is ungodly complicated and for some reason any email with images just come up as code, with text mixed in. I hate this service
Photo of Bryon6904

Bryon6904

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Note: in order to make the post above I needed to sign in, using my username and password. So it's obviously correct
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Try logging in to the webmail at http://www.homestead.com, and click on the Webmail button. See if the user name and password work there. If you are not able to log in there, then go to your email manager within your Homestead account and change the password.

The user name and password for email and posting here are not the same. To enter here, you use the Homestead account user name and password.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Christie7365

Christie7365

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
New email, need instructions for setting it up on my iphone. Old settings won't work..

Since my email was converted to the new platform, my settings are incorrect on my iphone email. Can someone help?
Photo of Ronald4653

Ronald4653

• 212 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Can't send Homestead email from ipad. Server rejects. Income mail on ipad works..
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Follow the steps above. The issue is probably in step #7 above. Be sure to click the link for additional information.

Mike
Photo of Liz5578

Liz5578

• 116 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am not receiving email on my iPhone.

I am able to login to my account using webmail, but am not receiving messages on my iPhone. Please help!
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Liz5578,

If you have not done so, you'll need to update the email server information according to the steps above.

Mike

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.