How do I save a copy of my website files with SiteBuilder Plus?

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Implemented
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: archive as idea implemented.

I would like to make a copy of my website files. I'm having the hardest time finding information on how to do so. Any ideas?
Photo of Annastacia7130

Annastacia7130

• 1,420 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Fancy Prancer

Fancy Prancer

• 1,470 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I loved the desktop version, tried to get it back, but it has totally been scrapped, don't know why, wish we could have a choice, but it's a dead issue with them, so don't hold your breath! I don't think there will ever be that wonderful option again, but since I like the sitebuilder, I've sadly given up hoping.
Photo of Jacqueline4022

Jacqueline4022

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
How do I transfer the website files to another host.

I need to transfer all the website files to another host. How do I do this?
Photo of Layne4160

Layne4160

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I've been with Homestead for 13 years. In the OLD days I could work on my web site without internet connection and then publish it when I needed to. I am going to be on a remote location with no internet for two weeks and need to work on my website. Is there any way I can do this or should I switch to WordPress or something else?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,578 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Sorry but SiteBuilder Plus always requires an internet connection. I actually don't know of any webhosting companies that still provide a desktop application. Wordpress and many others are all cloud based systems.

Mike
Photo of Martin

Martin

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I understand the commercial reasons why they went over to sitebuilder plus and accept it now. I think Homestead does make life easy to build and have a running website.
However I would like to be able to copy from sites under construction to my live site.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,676 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I like that idea too. Thanks.
Photo of Sharon9299

Sharon9299

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Does anyone know how to make a copy of a website page and then copy this same page to a different website (both within Homestead)?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Sharon9299,

Are you trying to copy the site into a separate account? If so, follow the steps here: https://community.homestead.com/homes...

Mike
Photo of Sharon9299

Sharon9299

No Mike, I would like one of the pages from my "Gallery" on one website to be copied to a 2nd website (both through Homestead). It would be easier than having to reload every single picture.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Unfortunately, there's not a simple way to do this. Because of the way the SiteBuilder templates work, many of the template files have the same name. If you tried to transfer a page from one site into another it would destroy many of the elements on the other site as it would override different images and other elements.

If it's just one page, the best thing is to just rebuild the page.

Mike
Photo of Fancy Prancer

Fancy Prancer

I've right clicked on the original published page and copied the html from 'view source', pasted it on wordpad, opened the new website page, copied the source code from wordpad, and pasted it into the insert html box on the new blank page in the other website. Hope I'm not confusing you, and there may be better ways, but it has worked for me.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Thanks for sharing. Keep in mind that there will be links on the page that link back to the originating site and files there. If you make changes on the original site, you could affect the new site as well.

Drew
Photo of TERRANCE6676

TERRANCE6676

• 282 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
sounds reasonable, i shall give er a try......thanks.
terry b
Photo of Sharon9299

Sharon9299

Awesome - I will try this!!
Photo of Martin

Martin

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I was going to start a new website in Homestead but after building it I have changed my mind and now want to just integrate some pages from it into my existing. The new one is not live.
What if I copied a page from the new site(like Fancy Prancer) and pasted to the existing site, and then deleted the new one?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hi Martin,

I have never tried this, so I can't answer this definitively. What I can say that if you add an image to a page on one site and then move the code to another site, that image will still be on the old site. Either the image will not display, or it will display from the old site. If you delete the old site, then your image will be gone, breaking the link.

I am going to try to schedule some time to do some testing, but probably won't be able to until Monday, so if you want to try it, the worst that will happen is that you need to rebuild the page on the new site.

Drew
Photo of Fancy Prancer

Fancy Prancer

why don't you remove the links from the page you want to copy, then copy the new source html, and once you've done that you can put new links in, maybe? Also, put the pictures you want on your computer and upload them to the new site, you can change the code inside the source for your new pictures to reflect the new address and name. Don't take my word for this, maybe just try it, i'm not an expert, just an old lady who experiments a lot until I get things to work! also, remember that you won't be able to edit it like the other pages with the drag and drop. It'll be what it is, unless you know html (I don't, other than a few basics and how to replace and tweek the old htmls and pictures, etc, inside )
Photo of TERRANCE6676

TERRANCE6676

SOME OF THIS I HAVE DONE BUT WHEN YOU EVEN WANT SOME OF THE LINKS IT IS EXTREMELY TIME CONSUMING.
Photo of Fancy Prancer

Fancy Prancer

didn't say it was easy..time will pass either way...
Photo of patricia0235

patricia0235

• 214 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
How can I download files that are uploaded to my site?.

A lot of core files were uploaded to the website but the originals were lost.

I need these documents for other purposes, but can't find a way to download anything - only upload.

Is there a way to basically copy my entire site of files to my local hard drive?

I have hundreds of jpgs and pdfs that are needed.

thank you!
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You can view/open any file you want from the file manager and save them one at a time, but, you may want to use the method above and just view the live site pages and do a File > Save as> Web Page Complete, and your browser will capture and save all the files on that particular page. You'll have to repeat for each page. If there are other files and pdf's not displayed on a page you'll have to manually save them one at a time.

Mike
Photo of Fancy Prancer

Fancy Prancer

Homestead used to have easy wonderful ftp to do it, and a desktop version (loved it) they took it away and it's low or a non-existent priority, we all want it back, but good luck. I'm in the same boat, keep pestering them for a simple, easy ftp back.. There is an underlying motive, ie: if we have all our files on our computers (key word,'our') we might leave homestead if we have them? Just wondering what other reason.
Photo of TERRANCE6676

TERRANCE6676

How fortunate everyone can tip upside down to do what they used to be able to do easily..... I wonder, had users been "asked" would they have agreed to "the new way"? Things were so simple prior, now for the sake of the provider the user must suffer, Sure sounds a lot like all the mandates citizens are required now to adhere, absorb and tolerate these days. It was so simple before. Everyone had their own back-ups and knew they had responsibility. "Captured customers" only works for a while
Photo of Fancy Prancer

Fancy Prancer

there's a lot of that going around (am not talking just about web builders)
Photo of Carolyn0930

Carolyn0930

• 194 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Weeding out junk from files....offline.

Is there a way to make a copy of the files to an offline folder in order to weed out unnecessary and outdated 'junk'?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You can save a copy by using the process in the first post above, but if you are wanting to just delete old files this may not even be necessary unless you want to save them for potential future use. The best thing is to just go directly into the File Manager and delete the old content.

Mike
Photo of jason6719

jason6719

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How do I find my website files?.

How can I get all of my website files so I can backup my entire site & data?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

At this time this is not possible.  We do maintain backups if you need something restored.  We have the last 7 nights, and the last 3 Sundays.

Drew
Photo of Gabrielle3735

Gabrielle3735

• 60 Points
Save as for complete HTML page doesn't save images I don't think? the images/media files are not as easy to get at? adding a download feature would be nice
Photo of Julie5507

Julie5507

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I also want to be able to download to my computer the files that are up there. I cannot do a download in file manager, I cannot ftp. Wow, what a disappointment.

Another disappointment is that the file size of videos has become ENORMOUS now that we have to send .mp4/html5 files and sorry folks, 200 Megabytes isn't going to cut it for all the videos. I need to be able to upload a LARGER file size. With Windows 10 I have to use html5 and the videos WON'T upload.
Photo of William S

William S

• 18,878 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hello,

This feature has been implemented in our latest release of SiteBuilder Plus. 

https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/how-do-i-create-a-backup-of-my-sitebuilder-plus-sit...

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.