How do I post a file on my website for visitors to download?

• Article
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • (Edited)
Here are instructions to add a downloadable file to your website.

1. Click Websites Manager in the left navigation menu. Then, click Edit Site.

2. Click Insert button in the top toolbar, select More from the drop-down menu, and click on File.

3. Choose Upload from Computer and locate the file on your computer or browse your file manager if you have already uploaded it.

4. On the right, in File Settings customize the Link Text and Icon of the file.

5. Drag the file to where you would like it on your webpage.

6. Save and Publish your website to see the downloadable file on your website.
Photo of Homestead FAQ

Homestead FAQ, Employee

• 42,726 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Homestead FAQ

Homestead FAQ, Employee

• 42,726 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi,

Here are instructions to add a downloadable file to your website.

1. Click Websites Manager in the left navigation menu. Then, click Edit Site.

2. Click Insert button in the top toolbar, select More from the drop-down menu, and click on File.

3. Choose Upload from Computer and locate the file on your computer or browse your file manager if you have already uploaded it.

4. On the right, in File Settings customize the Link Text and Icon of the file.

5. Drag the file to where you would like it on your webpage.

6. Save and Publish your website to see the downloadable file on your website.
  7. .
(Edited)
Photo of Martha3938

Martha3938

• 154 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am new to sitebuilder, but once I know which questions to ask, answers are really helpful. This answer helped me a lot.
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

• 39,954 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Martha3938,

We're glad it helped! And by all means, feel free to search the community for questions already asked or post new ones.

Thanks,
Ehsan
Photo of NicoleDupret2867

NicoleDupret2867

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This instruction did not result in a downloadable file, but rather simply displayed the file in the browser. I need to protect a copyrighted digital product. This did not do the trick.
Photo of NicoleDupret2867

NicoleDupret2867

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Unfortunately, the url of the file (in my case, a copyrighted work) is displayed in the browser window--easy to copy and distribute to friends, etc. There goes any profit. I need a better solution!
Photo of Jeff_In_Dallas

Jeff_In_Dallas

• 210 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Nicole, I need the same functionality and am looking at a way to integrate the Microsoft File Download Manager into my Homestead site.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If I'm not mistaken, the MS File Download Manager is simply a desktop application that you install on your comoputer, and not something designed to be integrated into your website. However, it's not our software so I'm not super familiar with it. You may want to direct this question toward MS customer support.
Photo of Jeff_In_Dallas

Jeff_In_Dallas

• 210 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Mike,

I think you're right, but after a little bit of testing, I discovered the recommendation above does work. However, if you simply click on the link and the file extension is one which the OS recognizes, it tries to open the file from the URL, not download it. For example, if it's a PDF file and you have Adobe reader on your computer, it will open (not download) the file from the website URL. In this case you would need to right click the link and a context menu would allow you to save it to your local computer. On the other hand, if the file type is not recognized by the OS, you will be prompted to open or save the file. If you try to open it, you will get a "cannot open" error. If you choose save, it will download the file to your My Downloads library.

This works for me

Thanks,
Jeff
Photo of Bob3392

Bob3392

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Jeff is completely right. When you post e.g. a PDF and the save and publish. It attempts to open it with no option I can see to download. My 11 MB did not open either after 10 minutes. All other files (html, etc.) open but not download. Not sure how I will sell a digital book without adding Store Front or Simple Store. Ideas?....Bob
Photo of Bob3392

Bob3392

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Well, what confused me was the language when I right clicked the file "save link as", rather than "save file as". Indeed, if you tell people to do that it should work. I also found that if you zip a file, the only choice is to download. Thanks.....Bob
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

If you do plan on selling an ebook, the Storefront is definitely the best option for that. This way nobody can access the download link until after they've paid for it.

Mike
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

• 32,264 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I have just placed aPDF file on my website and as you guys have explained it opens it on screen, because I have adobe reader installed. Its not a problem but I do get the option in Win8 to Save File as... Anyway my problem is the file looks neat and tidy on preview but once published have four long dashes under the file which is a bit annoying. I am assuming it i because the file holds four pages but it doesn't look very professional. Any ideas how to get rid of them...

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Which site and page? We'll take a look
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

http://www.homesecuritysurveys.uk/HS-Surveys.html    Half way down the page. I can live with it but it does take away from the look of the page. Appreciate any suggestions
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

That is the display name for the link. If you click the file, you should be able to edit the display name to remove the underscores. Then you change the text color to something visible and you can improve the way it displays.
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

Ah....spot on Drew... all sorted, I didn't consider there may be text on the black background. Thank you once again..
Photo of Nancy1227

Nancy1227

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Have created a "fillable" application form in PDF format for "paperless" functionality. How do I make it available for site users to either print the application for conventional mailing or fill the application online and email it to our business email?

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
How to add/attach a fillable PDF form to the site?.
Photo of Teri0820

Teri0820

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hello Nancy: I was just going through message & came across yours. Were you able to attach a fillable PDF form to your site? I need something like that as well & I'm not having any luck getting it done.....Thanks, Teri
Have a Fabulous & Blessed Day!
Photo of KenTuna

KenTuna

• 360 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
If you'll follow all of the above instructions, you can either right click on the file to save it to your desktop or simply go to your browser window under "File" then "Save As" and that will download it to your desktop or where ever it needs to be.
Photo of KenTuna

KenTuna

• 360 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Sorry, I couldn't open the saved file on my desktop so am still trying to figure it out.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hi folks, These instructions should instruct you how to add the pdf to the website. As far as I know you need Adobe Acrobat Professional to create a pdf that can be filled out electronically.

Drew
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Ken Tuna, If you couldn't open a saved copy by double clicking it, do you receive an error?

Drew
Photo of larrylitchfield2274

larrylitchfield2274

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
How can I make a label that will link to an Employment Application Form?.
Photo of tim3498

tim3498

• 146 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
What is the best way to load a document on the website with multiple pages

Loading multiple pages onto the website.
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi tim3498,

Using the steps above will allow you to add a document (doesn't matter if it is multiple pages or not) to your site that your visitors can download/view.

Hope this helps, thanks!

Ehsan
Photo of Anne8585

Anne8585

• 262 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I just sent a questions about this but forgot to mention the problem is that I uploaded a 20 page word doc and it just shows an icon but when I click/double click it will not open. Thank you
Photo of Diane1030

Diane1030

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have a word document that I want to have on our site and I need to have them fill it out and send it to our email. How do I put that on our site? They can type right on the form.

Adding an editable form.
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Diane1030,

Welcome to the community!

Using the instructions above will allow you add the word doc to your website so that your visitors can download and edit it, they could then email it as an attachment to you.

You can also build a custom form in sitebuilder:
+insert > More > Build a custom form

*if you're going to ask for sensitive information, you may want to look into using a secure form from a 3rd party and adding that to your site.

hope this helps, thanks!

Ehsan
Photo of landingsyc1398

landingsyc1398

• 336 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
i unintentionally moved folders around and now i can't get the files back to their original locations. I can't upload pdf files. help?

Moved files, can't find easy way to upload pdf files any more....
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi landingsyc1398,

Welcome to the community!

Please use the instructions above to add a document to your site.

Let me know if you need further assistance, thanks!

Ehsan
Photo of Sue4874

Sue4874

• 116 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
When I try to download a Word doc to my website, the "paint brush" item comes up. What can I do to get my Word doc uploaded??

Paint Brush.
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Sue4874,

Welcome-- Using the instructions above will place a link on your page that your visitors can click to download/view the word document.

Let me know if I can offer further assistance, thanks!

Ehsan
Photo of Carlos3296

Carlos3296

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
None of these answers how to post a PDF NOT ON A PAGE. FACEBOOK IS LAME and won't accept PDFs only JPGs. PDF converts into multiple pages. GEEZ!

So I would rather use Homestead and not SCRIBD to do this.

HELP
Photo of Sue4874

Sue4874

I don't necessarily want to place a link on my page for downloading. What I want is to place the Word doc itself on my page but everytime I try to download the file onto my page the "paint brush" shows up instead of my Word doc. What can I do to make my document download?
Photo of Sue4874

Sue4874

How long do I have to wait for a reply to my ?. Since I can't ever reach a person on the Intuit phone #, is there anyway to get some response from Intuit. Hello???? Anyone home????
Photo of Harry2046

Harry2046

• 62 Points
I am trying to upload a file I saved in msword as a web file. The file contains text and graphics. How do I do this? I am trying to edit my Home page

Harry

editing web pages.
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Harry,

You can only add a document as a downloadable file on your site, you cannot import a word (or any document) and have it open in Sitebuilder.

If you'd like your document to be visible on your site, you can do this by taking a screenshot of your document and adding it as an image.

Hope this helps, thanks!

Ehsan
Photo of William5701

William5701

• 70 Points
May 11, 2013 - These instructions worked fine a month ago when I uploaded 9 .pdf files and a .wma file using the "insert file" function. A few days ago I checked my site and tried to open these files. The .wma file was okay, but with the .pdf's, instead of opening, as they did before, I'm now asked where I'd like to save the file on my computer ... What gives? I uploaded a few of them again to my site, but they still won't open. I really need an answer to this as this situation makes my site practically irrelavent... Thank you. I await your reply.
Photo of Teri0820

Teri0820

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Help: I built a print & fax form to add to our website. I can't get it to post now to our website. How in the world do I get that done? I tried to build a form directly, but it doesn't come up in the order that I built it.

Adding a word doc. to website.
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Teri0820,

You can use the instructions above to add a document to your site. This will add a link to your site which the visitor can click to open and view/download to their computer.

Please let me know if you need further assistance, thanks.

Ehsan
Photo of Anne8585

Anne8585

• 262 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Please help to clarify: I created a 20 pages guide for people to open and read from a page on my website. The document is currently in Word. Is this possible? If not, what can I do? Convert it to another format? Were you saying to the person above that the whole document would be pasted, like a picture, to the webpage? Don't get how that would work.  Thank you!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I would suggest saving the document as a pdf file, and then adding the link.
Photo of Philip1852

Philip1852

• 60 Points
I am not able to see the file (powerpoint) when I go on the site and click the content still
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Philip1852,

What page is the powerpoint file located on? I saw the 2 pdf files on the About page. Please let me know if you're still unable to view the file and where it's located.

Thanks,
Ehsan
Photo of Ken7327

Ken7327

• 74 Points
Wanting to upload our church bulletin to the website....don't see anything that shows.

How do I upload a PDF file to my church website?.
Photo of freedomaintwo3772

freedomaintwo3772

• 60 Points
gimana nih kk katanya error pas upload format php ??
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi freedomaintwo3772,

No other language/scripts are supported by our servers other than html and javascript. Php and other languages will not work with our service.

Thank you,
Ehsan
Photo of Carlos3296

Carlos3296

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I guess my real question was more of how do I POINT a file (PDF) to my "domain?"
I don't want the file on a page. I want to post the "link" to my Biz FB page pointing one to my domain but NOT any particular page.
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Carlos3296,

Unfortunately, what you're asking is not possible. The domain has to be associated with at least one page which needs to be named index.

What I'd recommend doing is taking a screenshot of your PDF and adding it as an image to your home page.

If it's a large file and you'd prefer to not add it as a screenshot (image) or by adding the content of the PDF to the page, then you may just want leave the entire index (home) page blank and have just a link to open/view or download the PDF.

Hope this helps, thanks.

Ehsan
Photo of mark5840

mark5840

• 62 Points
Add a price sheet to our website for our dealers, in an excel format, but I would like to have it accessed by a password, only. Possible? Thanks

Add a price sheet, in an excel format.
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi mark5840,

I'd suggest password protecting the excel file before uploading it that way you can give the password to whoever you want.

If you just upload the document without a password, the only way to password protect it would be to put a password on that specific page.

*Anyone with the specific url to that file would be able to download it

Thanks,
Ehsan
Can I upload a PDF file to my site and make it easily printable for customers?.
Photo of lifesauto9293

lifesauto9293

• 62 Points
I would like to put a coupon on my site for a free oil change so my customers can print them off

Is there a way i can put a printable coupon on one of the pages on my site so my customers can use it.
how do I insert a PDF file into my website.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You can create a link to a pdf document as shown in this thread, but a pdf file is not a website compatible file format, so it would have to be converted or saved as another format. Depending on the size and how many pages you might consider changing it to an image file and then just import the image.

If this post helps, please give a "Star" and complete this survey to rate me.

Thanks!

Mike
Photo of Barry2551

Barry2551

• 316 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Can I include a digital brochure , to click on and open, on one of my product pages?.
Photo of Judy9234

Judy9234

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
PDF files.

Can I upload some PDF files to my website?

Tell me how?
Photo of Sue4874

Sue4874

How to upload a form for viewers to fill in and then print for mailing?.

Viewers must "click here to view form"
Photo of Paul0915

Paul0915

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
How can I insert/import a sound file without the player (like Sitebuilder did)?.

I need to insert a sound file (mp3) that people can right-click on and save to their desktops as a file. I don't want automatic playing or a player. Just text with the audio file name and perhaps an audio symbol.

I've seen the checkbox for hide player and play automatically, but these don't seem to have an effect. With Hide player checked, it still shows. With the play automatically button UNchecked it still starts automaticlly when i navigate to the page. Please advise
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You can use the method here, or if you just want an ordinary text link, you can upload the file directly into the file manager and create a normal text link to the file. You could even add an image to the page and create a link from the image.

Mike
Photo of Suzanne9528

Suzanne9528

• 164 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Hi Paul,

Wondered if this worked for you? I need to do the same, for airplay submission purposes. Would love to hear from you, thanks.

- Suz.

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hi Suzanne9528,

What exactly do you want to do? Maybe we can offer some suggestions.

Drew
Photo of Suzanne9528

Suzanne9528

Hi, thanks.

To provide songs to some radio stations, they require a link to a file on my site, per these instructions as provided by 2 different stations:

"Also, all music must be in mp3 format, and must be available for download via a link (Dropbox, Google Drive, Soundcloud, Reverbnation, etc)."

"you may direct us to a .wav format download of your music"

- Suzanne.

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

If you aren't playing it from your site, you can simply upload the song via the file manager and publish it. The link you would provide them would be http://www.yourdomain/mediafilename.mp3

Drew
Photo of Suzanne9528

Suzanne9528

Ok thanks Drew.

I'm not positive but I think they like to be able to extract a file to download from a link I send them. Not sure if possible here.

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

It should be possible. Once you place it on the site, it can be linked to.
Photo of Suzanne9528

Suzanne9528

Ok found the solution is to do the Dropbox links - they can be inserted anywhere, works great.

- S.

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Excellent