How do I point my domain, but still keep my email? (Cname Point)

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: This topic contains outdated information

I'd like to point my domain to Homestead, but still keep my email at my current provider. Is it possible to point only the domain name?
Photo of Homestead FAQ

Homestead FAQ, Employee

• 42,896 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Chris9540

Chris9540

• 74 Points
to properly point my domain at fat cow to homestead's server

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
I need the IP address for homestead.
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

• 39,954 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Chris9540,

Welcome- Please use the IP Address listed under Intuit Websites Powered by Homestead to ensure your domain is pointed to the correct IP.

Thanks,
Ehsan
Photo of Jennifer1829

Jennifer1829

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
We went through all of the Product Wizards and set the Storefront to be OPEN. However, we cannot seem to see it when we preview it. How do I make our Storefront go live?

Storefront LIVE issues!.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Jennifer1829, The problem is with your pointing domain name. You'll need to contact the domain host, (which appears to be GoDaddy) and have the add the following Cname record:

Type: CNAME Record
Alias or Host = stores
Points to stores.homestead.com
Photo of Annabelle8914

Annabelle8914

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
wishing to point the domain to the Homestead site via CNAME.

hi I have tried emailing but have had no response. not sure the email is a working one?
sending here hoping someone can steer me in the right direction as I am from Australia and cant phone, and, the chat is always offline whenever I come on to try to talk to someone
(email i sent to homestead below) (would be GREAT if I could get an email that I can contact with someone on, thanks)

Account name is enigma2001au

I have been making the website for my gym with my homestead account
www.homestead.com/fitnessvenue

its not fully completed so I will continue making it through homestead and changes as we go along too (I have been with for over 12 years now)

We have a domain for the gym which is hosted by another company – who need to have it (point?) im unsure how it all works.
I am attaching the providers email to me below – the first and the second as he is after information I aren’t sure what it is. (his instructions are: point the domain to the Homestead site via CNAME, )

The domain name is:
www.fitnessvenue.com.au and is the domain it needs to connect to

thank you for your help and look forward to someone getting back to me as soon as possible –

Ann
0412 753 899
Email: annparrott@optusnet.com.au

Email 1:
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2013 2:03 PM
To:
Subject: RE: Fitness Venue website

Hi Kerrin,

Having some issues with this site...as this site is being built using Homestead, which is an online site builder, we need to contact them to arrange some settings at their end. They are obviously based overseas, and I have tried to contact them several times during our business hours, and cannot get a response.

I would probably suggest against using these style sites for exactly this reason, being that support can be hard to get...however, seeing the site is pretty much complete, you probably don’t want to start from scratch.

Can you ask Ann to contact them, and tell them we wish to point the domain to the Homestead site via CNAME, they will understand this, but I have been unable to get hold of anybody thus far.

The other option is that I can place a redirection on it here, but when people go to www.fitnessvenue.com.au, it will automatically change the address to fitnessvenue.homestead.com or something similar. Which may not be a look you want to go with...

Regards,

Ben Davies

Email 2

Sent: Monday, 22 July 2013 9:24 AM
To:
Cc: annparrott@optusnet.com.au
Subject: RE: Fitness Venue website

Hi Kerrin and Ann,

No, this isn’t difficult at all, but I havnt been able to get onto Homestead Support...hopefully Ann had some more luck over the weekend...

I set these kind of sites up on a regular basis, there are several programs/companies that do the same thing as Homestead, I haven’t ever used this particular site however.

Normally it’s not a problem, as I advised Ann last week. It’s actually a very simple change to make....however, Homestead don’t allow us to simply point the site traffic to them via the online portal, as every other WYSIWYG editing site does...in this case, you need to contact Homestead support, and they state it will take 4-5 days. Which is fine, but when I attempted to do this, they were unreachable on the 3 or 4 attempts I made, and it appears there support is only during US business hours. I suspect this is an attempt to get full control of the domain name, which is what the Homestead “help” page suggests. However, given that these guys only have a 12 hour support window, I would be very reluctant to do this, in case an issue did develop, as Im not sure what would happen should the site go offline the day Australian time?

Let me know once they have made the change to the CNAME, which is only a 30 second fix, so shouldn’t take Homestead too long and then Ill finish things off at this end.

Thanks Guys,

Regards,

Ben Davies
SENIOR ACCOUNT MANAGER
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Your domain host will need to add the Homestead records shown above. Once they have udpated the DNS records let us know as we'll need to add the pointed domain on our end.

If this post helps, please give a "Star" and complete this survey to rate me.

Thanks!

Mike
Photo of agleasonhr5695

agleasonhr5695

• 186 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

If you would rather just leave the domain at Homestead, you can just do a Cname point as described in this thread. If you really do want to transfer the domain, then you'll proceed with the transfer as normal. Once the domain is at the other company, you will need to change the MX records back to Homestead.
Photo of reception3540692

reception3540692

• 286 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Telstra domain.

I have a domain and emails hosted by Telstra, I want to link my Telstra domain so that it directs people to my homestead website, but I don't want to loose my email service .
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You'll need to update the dns records at your current host. You'll want to provide them the first set of records shown above for "Homestead" not Intuit or Verizon.
Photo of tylerall3097

tylerall3097

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Cname point.

Mike,
I am trying to build a site and this is the message our off IT guy game me to ask you. Is there a way to point our www.itcpipe.com to an IP address or something without moving our DNS from Network Solutions? I am not very website savvy, so I don't actually know what this means, but he wants to know if there is somewhere we can point our site, use Homestead to build and publish the site, without moving out DNS from Network Solutions?

Note: This topic was created from a reply on the DNS Pointing from Network Solutions - my website is still down topic.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Yes.. if you use the records above for Homestead sites, that will be what your IT person needs.

If you have more questions let us know.

MIke
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Official Response
Here are instructions on on how to point your domain to Homestead, but keep your email with your current registrar. The correct records will be different depending on the type of account you have.

Step 1: Contact your current provider and request ALL of the following records be added to the domain zone file for your domain

Homestead Customers Only

Record #1

Type: A Record

Host = @

Points to 209.157.71.50

Record #2

Host = *

Points to 209.157.71.50

Record #3

Alias or host = www

Points to websites.homestead.com

If you have purchased a Homestead Storefront, add the following:

Record #4

Alias or Host = stores

Points to stores.homestead.com

Verizon Websites Powered by Intuit Websites/Homestead Only

Record #1

Host =@

Points to 209.157.71.176

Record #2

Host = *

Points to 209.157.71.176

Record #3

Alias or host = www

Points to websites.vzwebsites.com

If you have purchased a Homestead Storefront, add the following:

Record #4

Alias or Host = stores

Points to stores.vzwebsites.com

Step 2: To complete the process, contact us to finalize the domain point.

The domain point will be completed within 1-3 business days.

Photo of nutteraccounts

nutteraccounts

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi,

You're contact us page is not working at the moment (tried both chrome and explorer)

My sites stopped working recently, maybe the service outage you had a couple of days ago, but I tried to update the records to keep using my email with mydomain.com, but point domain to homestead. Small point to clarify, presumably websites.homestead.com we should replace websites with our website name (in this case nuttera.homestead.com)?
At the moment, it seems to work for www.anutter.com, but not http://anutter.com. Do the settings above cover both www and no www typed?

Also, should pointing be set to anything at all? I have 5 options (home directory, subdirectory, url, parked, website).

best,
Andrew
(Edited)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
nutteraccounts,

Please create a private conversation so I can provide the new DNS records

Drew
Photo of Jonathan T.

Jonathan T.

• 6,534 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Point domain but keep email with Godaddy..

I am trying to configure the DNS properly for my buddy that I did their website for here on homestead, but they own the domain on Go Daddy. They have their own exchange host in the office, and currenty host their website and email. I want them to keep their email but have the go daddy account point to the website. However, when I did this, I made their email stop working. I was told NOT to change the nameservers and only change the follow. What am I doing wrong? I whited out some of the information.

A Record
Host @ points to 209.157.71.50
(I replaced the existing @ with this IP)

A Record
Host * points to 209.157.71.50
(I added this to the A Record)

C Name www points to websites.homestead.com
(I deleted the A record that was www and made a CNAME with this)

Note: This topic was created from a reply on the How do I point my domain to Homestead? topic.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Use the records above under the section titled "Homestead Customers".
Photo of Jonathan T.

Jonathan T.

That's what I did but it made their email stop.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

The A records and Cname records above will only assure that the website functions. I'm not sure what changes you made to the MX records ( or possible A, Cname) records that might have broke the email. Check with whoever is hosting the email and find out what DNS records are required.
Photo of Jonathan T.

Jonathan T.

Thanks I got it to work. We had to switch the access to mail.domain since we changed it up a little. All is good. Thanks as always!
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You're welcome
Photo of Jonathan T.

Jonathan T.

I instructed yahoo to change the 2 A records and Cname record for my domain that is registered with them, but the website does not come up without typing in the WWW first. What mistake would I have made? www.tabbietowers.com
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

When did you change the records?  This can take some propagation time.

Drew
Photo of Jonathan T.

Jonathan T.

About 3 hours ago. The website is working when you do www.tabbietowers.com but when you do just tabbietowers.com it goes to a generic under construction page.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

They have 2 A records that seem to exist according to who.is.  Either it hasn't fully propagated the changes, or you will need to delete the a record that has a host of tabbietowers.com and an IP of 98.139.135.198.

Drew

Photo of Jonathan T.

Jonathan T.

okay let me look into that other IP
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Sure thing, let us know if we can help with anything else.

Drew
Photo of Jonathan T.

Jonathan T.

I'm trying to point another domain from a company that its registered with. When I go to add the C Name, I put www as the host name, but they are giving me an error saying "The hostname you entered needs to end with your domain name. Please double check you entry". Would I put the entire domain here starting with www?

Photo of Jonathan T.

Jonathan T.

Here Here is a screenshot of the DNS currently, along with what it looks like when I click add C Record.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hello, Jonathan T.

In our domain manager you just use host www, but theirs might require the entire name.  You would need to ask the company who owns the nameservers.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Jonathan T.

Jonathan T.

I'm still having issues after I contact that company and they made the changes based on the instructions below. They did not seem like they knew what they were doing. Do you have any suggestions. Seems that it does not work properly without the www. My website is www.americanlt.com . This was done on Friday so it should be working by now if done properly no?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hello Jonathan T.

Add an A record with the host name @.domain, and the same IP address.

Drew
Photo of Jonathan T.

Jonathan T.

Should I delete the americanlt.americanlt.com or keep that still? I don't know why they put that
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

It shouldn't matter. Just add the @.

Drew
Photo of Jonathan T.

Jonathan T.

Okay, it keeps giving me errors, so I guess I will have to call them again. thank you.

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You're welcome.  Make sure they know what is not working.  In our system the *.domain handles all subdomains, the @ handles domain, without www or anything else.

Drew
Photo of Jonathan T.

Jonathan T.

Okay thank you. I am convinced this company has no idea what they are doing. They are a phone/internet provider down in Texas and the reviews on them are awful. They claim they made the changes now, so I'm waiting to see after it refreshes.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You're welcome.  If they can't get it done, then we can see what you need and use our nameservers.

Drew
Photo of Jonathan T.

Jonathan T.

okay thank you. I was going to ask about that because them keeping the email with that company is the only thing that is important.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Ok, there would be a brief interuption in email when we switch, so we would have to consider that.

Drew
Photo of Jonathan T.

Jonathan T.

Seems all is good now. Thanks for all your help. You guys are fantastic.

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You're welcome!
Photo of Eric9544

Eric9544

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I need manage my DNS at my registrar but wish to continue hosting site at homestead. what DNS entries are needed to forwarded traffic here.

I now have hosted exchange with Office 365 and manage my DNS at registrar but my site is here and does not work now.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Eric9544 ,  You'll need to have them add the A records and Cname records as shown in this thread.
Photo of Tom5003

Tom5003

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
trying to point a domain at register.com to my homestead website. I have changed the nameservers to homestead. But when I attempt to point the domain to the website i get: This domain is already associated with a website account.

The domain is www.willowpondranch.org.

Please advise, Tom
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hi Tom, when did you change the nameservers? They are not showing as changed yet. Everything is set on our end. It can take up to 48 hours for the DNS to propagate.
Photo of Tom5003

Tom5003

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi, Drew.
Thanks for the quick response. I changed them yesterday. Today if you go to the url it points to homestead.

Tom
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hi Tom. Please create a private conversation. You can see how in the link below.

https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/how-do-i-create-a-private-conversation

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.