How do I move or copy a website?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Doesn't Need an Answer
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archiving

In order to move or copy a site
from Homestead to another Homestead account or within the same account,
you need to follow these steps. To start, you must be logged into the
account where you want to move the website to (the destination account).

Note: Site Mover only copies
the pages/files you specify. The website will not be automatically
deleted. Any login name/password entered will not be saved. It will
provide a one-time access of your other account to copy the necessary
pages/files.

1. Create a new website. This site will act as a holding spot for the website move. Follow these instructions to Create a new website.

Warning: Don't choose a template. This can cause elements of the website to copy incorrectly.

1. Before moving to the next step, confirm
    the website you just created is the website listed on the Your Websites
    Page. For example, if you created a new website
    sitemovehelp.homestead.com, you'd see this.

1. Start the Site Mover .

1. Click Move a site in the Move an entire site window.

1. Select Homestead (this account) or Homestead (another Homestead account). Click Next.
    • If you are moving a website within the same account, you'll select this account.
    • If you are moving a website from any other Homestead account, you'll select another Homestead account.

2. Enter the login name and password for the account the website is coming from (originating account). Click Next.

1. To select the website you want to move, choose the website from the Choose a Web site to move dropdown. Click Next.
  2. Select the site you created in Step 1. Then, select the first option for the question: To which Web site would you like to move these files? Click Next.
  3. Click Next to agree to the terms.
  4. The Transferring page will review how the files are copied. Click OK.
  5. Click Refresh in the File Manager. If you have a large site you are moving, Refresh again after 1 minute to confirm all files have copied.

1. Click Websites Manager.

1. Click Edit Site.
  2. The site that you moved will open by default. Click Publish. Click Entire Site. If the site doesn't publish completely, click Publish and choose Entire Site, again.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Kate8475

Kate8475

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Two accounts and built the site in the wrong account help..

I have 2 accounts and I was building a site and did it under the wrong account. I don't want to have to build it all again. Is there a way to swap the site over to the other account?
Photo of Roger3503

Roger3503

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
How can I copy a website and give it a different name?.

I want to create a new website for a business that is selling the same type of products. I want to copy a website I have already created and make changes for the new business.

I want the original website to stay intact.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Roger3503,   This page shows how to make a copy of a site.

Mike
Photo of dave5278

dave5278

• 212 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled i want to make two alternate versions of the same site design, one showing on one....

i want to make two alternate versions of the same site design, one showing on one site, one on another. how do i do this without recreating the site from scratch?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Good morning dave5278,

You can use these instructions to make a duplicate of the one site, then you can edit change to the second, thus avoiding starting from scratch.

Is that what you had in mind?

Drew

Photo of Lynn

Lynn

• 3,272 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Drew, I still can't locate the Site Mover.  I've looked at My Account page and in SB Plus on the destination site. I've looked at the instructions, but I can't find the starting point. Thanks again.
Photo of William S

William S

• 18,878 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
You can start the SiteMover by clicking HERE.
Photo of Lynn

Lynn

This shows you can move a single page. That must be one your new changes I would guess. You couldn't do that a short time ago.  Thanks for your response.
Photo of Lynn

Lynn

Oh, that's a feature only if the page is from another host.
(Edited)
Photo of Lynn

Lynn

If I move all of my pages from one website to another, the original website will stay in tact, correct.  I need several pages that I created in the source site to be transferred to a new site. I want my original site to continue to operate as always. I just want to confirm that I'm simply duplicating pages in this "Move Site" process. Thanks.
Photo of William S

William S

Yes this will only make a copy of the website and 'paste' it over the site you are moving to. This process will erase the site it is moving to so make sure it is moving to a blank site.
Photo of Lynn

Lynn

Thanks for the confirmation. I just needed to make sure so that I didn't lose my original site. I was just ready to hit the last step in the process but chickened out. Thanks again.
Photo of Lynn

Lynn

How do I get my Navigational Bars?  They failed to transfer to the new site. Thanks.
(Edited)
Photo of William S

William S

You should be able to re-add the navigation menu and 'use existing' menu.
Photo of Lynn

Lynn

Ugh!  I have to re-add them to every single page. I can't believe that they didn't transfer with the site - I've got some work to do now.
Photo of Codie6603

Codie6603

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Can I clone the design of one of my sites to use with all on my account?.

I have 27 domains within my account.  I would like to clone the design from one and use it for all, just swap information for the different properties we own and operate.  Is there a function to do this?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You can use the instructions to copy the site
Photo of Tanith4475

Tanith4475

• 400 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled transferring website from another account.

I use the desktop version of site builder which I use to run my own websites, plus I also access my works account where I run the site for our business.  
We would like to transfer the works website to my own personal account as my Boss (and friend) wants to close their Homestead account.  
We do not wish to lose our website and I wish to carry on running it.   Is there a quick and easy way to transfer the whole site to my account?  Can I just copy the files over as they are all on my PC anyway? Any help would be great.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Once you copy the site, we will have to move the domain.
Photo of Tanith4475

Tanith4475

Both my account and the works account is with Homestead.  The domain name is with 123reg.  All I want to do is move a website from one Homestead account (works) to another Homestead account (mine) - both of which I access on a daily basis via the desktop site builder so I have all the files on my pc.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You will need to follow the instructions in this topic to move the site. Once you see it on the new account, then we can move the domain
Photo of Tanith4475

Tanith4475

Hi
Ok thank you, one thing though....I am not sure why you would have to move the domain? Surely I would need to do that with the domain company I use? 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I am not talking about moving the domain to a new host, but in our system we will need to move it from one account to the other so that it points to the correct site and account at Homestead
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

No, the site mover will only move published pages, as the files in desktop are on your computer which we can't access
Photo of Tanith4475

Tanith4475

Ah now I understand! Sorry - blame the cold weather....mind freeze! :) - I'll get the site sorted and moved soon and be in touch. Do I contact you here to move the domain?  One more thing (sorry)... will the whole site move including pages not published?

Photo of Tanith4475

Tanith4475

Oh course that would make sense, but as I'll have the files on my pc I can soon transfer them should I need to.  Would photos on the pages move too? - Hope so as we have quite a few on the site.
Thanks for your help :)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Everything that is published should copy over. If you can, publish the entire site right before doing the copy.
Photo of Tanith4475

Tanith4475

Ok will do.  I'll give it a go in the next few days.  Thanks again for your help and sorry for asking daft questions! :)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

No worries
Photo of Stan8034

Stan8034

• 414 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How do copy files from my Sitebuilder website (on your server) onto my computer?.

I want to copy files from my old website to reuse some of them as I build my new template-based website. How do I find and make copies of my website files (from Sitebuilder online website, NOT desktop version).
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Stan8034, This will copy everything over. You only want to do this if the new site is empty. If you already have site pages, then this could cause some problems. There is not a way to move selected files effectively.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Transfer files between homestead accounts.

I need to transfer the files for thesierrainstitute.homestead.com to kkheckathorn.homestead.com - then I will be transferring the domain thesierrainstittute.com to the kkheckathorn site to make the site live. Need to do this asap. Your help is appreciated.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Once you have copied the site, then we can move the domain for you
My question is how do I copy the site over?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

This topic shows how to copy the site.
Photo of Tanith4475

Tanith4475

Im the process of copying my site at the moment, what do I need to do for you to move the domain?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Once the site has moved and you have confirmed it is ready and published let us know and we can move the domain
Photo of Tanith4475

Tanith4475

Great thanks I'll let you know soon :)
Photo of Tanith4475

Tanith4475

Hi I have now copied the site and published it.  What do you need to move the domain please?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I will need for you to create a private conversation and provide the email and PIN for both accounts. If you want to wait for me to confirm the conversation is private, just hang tight until I reply.
Photo of Tanith4475

Tanith4475

Ok will do.
Photo of Chris6570

Chris6570

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I just accidentally created a new domain (complete with extra charges), when all I really wanted to do was change the name of my old one to this one. How do I fix this?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

This is not related to the topic

Please reference the new conversation here: Can I change my domain name?
Photo of Jo-Ann6486

Jo-Ann6486

• 164 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I need to move a website from my account to a new customer account how can I do t....
Photo of William S

William S

Hello,

You can move a site using the tool above. I would recommend making sure that you are moving the site to a new blank site on the other account.
Photo of Jonathan T.

Jonathan T.

• 6,504 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
When I click SITE MOVER, it goes to a page no longer found. Is this still available? If so, how do I copy a site to another? 
Photo of Jonathan T.

Jonathan T.

• 6,504 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Nevermind....now its working....
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Glad to hear it!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.