1. CSV Format - Bigcommerce can only import from CSV (comma separated value) files. If your file is in a different format, such as XLS, open it in your spreadsheet program and save it as a CSV file. Download the sample file attached at the bottom of the article to see the supported columns. This file uses the Bulk Edit template, which is recommended.
2. States must be spelled out - State names must be fully spelled out (e.g. Texas, Colorado). Abbreviations such as TX or CO will cause errors when the customer tries to check out.
3. Required Fields - The file must contain columns for first name, last name, and email address.
Bigcommerce can import passwords from a CSV file. Simply add a column named Password if your CSV file does not already have one. Please note that Bigcommerce does not export passwords due to PCI Compliance.
Import your customers from a file on your computer
This method is recommended for CSV files less than 100MB.
1. In the Bigcommerce control panel, go to Customers › Import Customers.
2. If you exported your customers from Bigcommerce or are using the sample CSV attached to this article, check the box next to Bulk Edit Re-Import. If you need to replace or overide your customer records check the box next to Override Existing Details to update your existing customer database with the information on the CSV file.
3. If the file you are importing is less than 100mB, continue to step 4. If your file is more than 100mB, continue to the bottom of this topic to the section titled "Import your customers from a file on the server."
4. Choose Upload a file from my computer.
5. Click Choose File (or Browse) and select the CSV file on your computer, then click Next.
6. The Link Import Fields screen will show the expected fields matched up with fields from the CSV. If you selected Bulk Edit Reimport, each field should be already mapped (with the possible exception of the Password field, which you should match if you created a Password column). If the drop-down boxes display Ignore, you will need to go through and match each field to its header in your CSV. Only matched fields can be imported. At minimum, the first name, last name, and email address fields are required to be matched for a successful import.
7. Click Next when finished, then Start Import from the following screen.
8. When the import is finished, you will see your newly added customers under Customers › View Customers.
Import your customers from a file on the server
This method is recommended for CSV files that are 100MB or more. Files cannot be larger than 512MB.
2. Double-click on the import_files folder. Drag and drop your CSV file into the folder. You may need to re-enter your credentials.
4. In the Bigcommerce control panel, go to Customers › Import Customers.
5. If you exported your customers using the Bulk Edit template or are using the sample CSV attached to the bottom of this article, check Bulk Edit Re-Import. Otherwise, you can choose whether to check Override Existing Details to update your existing customer database with the information on the CSV file.
6. Choose Use a file on the server.
7. Select your file in the drop-down list, then click Next. From here, the steps will be the same as steps 6-8 above.
Be the first to post a reply!