How do I do a complete re-install of SiteBuilder Desktop?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
In order to reinstall SiteBuilder to your computer you will need to completely delete the previous installation and install a fresh copy of SiteBuilder. This is also called a clean install. There are a lot of steps involved, particularly if you want to back up your data files, so you will need to follow every step.

Getting started

• If you have not published all of your latest changes or pages, make sure to complete sections A, B, and C.

• If you are sure that you have published all of your latest changes or pages, just complete section B.

Section A: Back up your SiteBuilder data files
If you are using:

• Windows XP go to C:\Program Files\Homestead\SiteBuilder\data\user\Sites.

• Windows Vista and Windows 7, Windows 8 go to C:\ProgramData\Homestead\SiteBuilder\data\user\Sites. To learn how to find this folder, read Show hidden folders in Windows.

You will see one or more folders named "XXXXXXXXXX", but with a number sequence instead of the letter "X". Copy the folders to a "backup" location on your computer hard drive, like C:\sitebackup.

Section B: Perform the clean installation of SiteBuilder
Uninstall SiteBuilder 

1. Close all of your Web browser sessions. 

2. Go to the Control Panel. (Click Start in the lower left corner of your computer desktop. Then click Control Panel.)

3. In the Control Panel window, double-click Add or Remove Programs

4. When the Add or Remove Programs window appears, select Homestead SiteBuilder, and click Change/Remove. Then click Next.

5. To confirm the deletion click OK

6. When the deletion is complete, go to your SiteBuilder directory and delete it.

• Windows XP users go to: C:\Program Files\Homestead\SiteBuilder.

• Windows Vista and Windows 7, Windows 8 users go to: C:\ProgramData\Homestead.

1. Remove all SiteBuilder Shortcuts:

• If you have a SiteBuilder icon on your desktop, drag it to the Recycle Bin. 

• Click Start in the lower left corner of your computer desktop. If you see Sitebuilder in the start menu right click on the file name and click Remove from This List.

• Click Start in the lower left corner of your computer desktop and select All Programs. If you see Homestead >SiteBuilder in the All Programs list right click SiteBuilder and Click Delete.

1. Restart your computer. This will safely remove SiteBuilder from your computer.

Note: In Windows Vista and Windows 7, Windows 8, Program Data is a hidden folder. For more information, go to Show Hidden Folders .

Reinstall SiteBuilder 

1. Go online and open a Web browser (make sure you have disabled any firewall programs like ZoneAlarm or Norton Internet Security). 

2. Go to: https://www.homestead.com/~site/Scripts_SiteManager/SiteManager.dll?CMD=CMDDownloadPage.

1. Click Download.

2. If you are using: 

• Internet Explorer
    • File Download Security Warning box will open, click Run.
    • Internet Explorer Security Warning box will open, click Run.

• Mozilla Firefox
    • Opening SiteBuilderSetup.exe box will open. Click Save File.
    • In the Downloads window double click, SiteBuilderSetup.exe
    • Open File Security Warning box will open. Click Run.

1. The SiteBuilder Install Wizard will launch. Click Next to Download and Install SiteBuilder.

2. You will need to choose an install location for SiteBuilder. Click Next to begin install to the default location. Approximately 8 MBs of files will download to your computer during installation, so it may take several minutes on a dial-up connection. After the installation is completed, the following message appears: Click Finish to launch SiteBuilder.

3. Click Finish and SiteBuilder will start. 

4. After SiteBuilder has started, enter your Login Name and Password, and click OK

5. Under Open Site, select a site from the dropdown menu, and click OK

6. Close SiteBuilder. 

Note: Make sure you are connected to the Internet throughout this process. During installation SiteBuilder files will need to be downloaded and unpacked to your computer, so it may take several minutes to complete the process. If you are installing the .NET version of SiteBuilder, you'll need to have .NET 2.0 installed. Use the following links according to your system requirements:

32 Bit Systemshttp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en
64 Bit Systems: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b44a0000-acf8-4fa1-affb-40e78d788b00&displaylang=en

Section C: Restore your SiteBuilder Data files

1. Go to the location where you backed up your site folders in Section A. 

2. Select the folders and copy them (CTRL+C). 

3. Navigate into the SiteBuilder folder on your hard drive.

• Windows XP users locate the following folder: C:\Program Files\Homestead\SiteBuilder\data\user\Sites.

• Windows Vista and Windows 7, Windows 8 users locate the following folder: C:\ProgramData\Homestead\SiteBuilder\data\user\Sites.

1. Paste the backup site folders into that location (CTRL+V).

2. Now that your clean installation is complete, try starting SiteBuilder again.

SiteBuilder will normally run fine at this point. If it does not then there may be something on the computer interfering with the program, usually security/antivirus software. Just turning it off does not always prevent it from interfering so you will likely have to find the section in the software to add the SiteBuilde “exes” as program exceptions. Every program (security software) is different so you will need to look for a section to exclude programs from being blocked. If you can’t find it by clicking around in the program just you can Google it.

The exes that need to be added as program exceptions are all the ones in C:\Program Files (x86)\Homestead\SiteBuilder:
SiteBuilderLPX.exe
SiteBuilderLPXLauncher.exe
SiteBuilderLPXLauncherUpdated.exe
updater.exe
ForceUpdate.exe
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of william0000

william0000

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled keep getting an sitebuilderLPX.exe has stopped working error and it shuts down!!!....

I am trying to update a customers website and I keep getting "sitebuilderLPX.exe has stopped working" then it shuts down. I am so frustrated. Anytime I do anything on a page I hurry and save it before it shuts down. I can get a few things done before it happens. And I am also having trouble publishing the pages. They don't publish correctly. This web site has lots of pictures. I have wasted more time on this project. I sure could use some help with this.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi william0000,

Try these instructions.

Drew
Photo of william0000

william0000

Unfortunately this didn't work. I used a different computer and removed mcafee total protection software. restarted the computer and did a new install. Doesn't work it still shuts down. Now what....
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

william0000,

I am sorry, what version of Windows are you using?

Drew
Photo of william0000

william0000

Windows 7
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

So 2 different computers are not connecting?  Has Sitebuilder worked on either one before?  Did something change on either or both computers? If it is important that you edit right now, you can use the online Sitebuilder Plus to do so.

Drew
Photo of william0000

william0000

The other computer is new so it never had sitebuilder. The computer I'm using now is the one I had used last year to update the site. I had to download it again before I could update the web pages. Never had this problem before til I downloaded sitebuilder again. I need to finish one page and the sooner the better. Thanks
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I am now out of the office but if you need it sooner rather than later I suggest using plus
Photo of william0000

william0000

Thanks I used plus and got it done.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Great! If you want to try to get desktop working again, it might be best to contact support and have them go through it with you. They might want to do a remote session and see what is happening.

Drew
Photo of william0000

william0000

The only other question I have is does it cost extra to use sitebuilder plus?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Not at all. If it works for you, then feel free to keep using it.

Drew
Photo of william0000

william0000

Great then that is what I will stick with. Thanks for your help.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You're welcome
Photo of Sancia0221

Sancia0221

• 174 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am having this same problem
Photo of plkuyler5840

plkuyler5840

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I justg want to get to the sitebuilder so that Ican askforhelpon the chatline
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hi plkuyler5840,

What problem are you having?

Drew
Photo of Mileen3055

Mileen3055

• 2,456 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
When intuit was in control they sent out links in emails to help:
http://supportdownloads.homestead.com/sitebuilderdotnet.zip
Found this in one of my old emails from 2012.

Photo of Borghild8973

Borghild8973

• 582 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I still cannot login after doing all this reinstalling
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Borghild8973,

There is a large data migration going on which is affecting some people in accessing Sitebuilder desktop. It also affects a few Sitebuilder Plus users. Most people are able to access Plus to make important updates. Have you tried?

Data migration

Drew
Photo of Lucilda5962

Lucilda5962

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Continuos Problem working with SBPlus Is Desktop Gone?.

I cannot preview my pages using site builder plus. Site builder Desk top does not work anymore for several months now. My pages get locked and cannot open; it is chaos and complete mess over the whole month of december more than ever, will there be any fixing for these issues?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Lucilda5962,

The migration had quite a few people offline, but they all seem to be working in desktop again. If this installation method doesn't resolve it, then let us know exactly what is happening and what version of Windows you use.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Lucilda5962

Lucilda5962

It appears as though I am permanently off with desktop I use windows 7 and for several months now i have not been able to use desktop. I delete and reinstall the program too many times and nothing changes. Right now I am enduring the use of site builder plus, I can't preview my pages, some of them are locked up I can't open then and the pages i publish to see if the system is improved , those pages are all out of wack, everything is all over the in the wrong places.

It is very distressing and needless try to call Homestead no one respond. Trying to figure out what the best move to make but so much loss of time and everything else it is just not anything pleasant to experience. Understand the transition is some of the reasons for the problems but in the meantime this remains a paid service and there is no let up with collecting inspite of the mess.

I hope the situation wil be resolve soon.
Photo of Mileen3055

Mileen3055

The basic thing is you need to clean out your Pc with Ccleaner to be sure you have all the files and fragments left from Sitebuilder or else you could have mixed commands. Before you do a clean reinstall. I did it about 3 weeks ago during the time no one could use their sitebuilder because of migration. I never did a back up either. My sitebuilder is working fine.
Photo of Michele3360

Michele3360

• 448 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Publishing from desktop.

Hello,

I have a problem publishing from my desktop for the website www.pintonsw.com

I use windows 7.

It allows me to edit and save but when I ask it to publish
it freezes.

P.S. - IT WAS WORKING BEFORE THIS "DATA MIGRATION" WHICH HAS GONE ON FOR WEEKS NOW - PLEASE DON'T ASK ME TO DELETE PUBLISHER AND DOWNLOAD IT AGAIN.........

I got the error message below:

Description:

A problem caused this
program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:

Problem Event
Name:                       
AppHangB1

Application
Name:                            
SiteBuilderLPX.exe

Application
Version:                          

Application
Timestamp:                    
540f620a

Hang
Signature:                                 
20b1

Hang
Type:                                         

OS
Version:                                         

Locale
ID:                                            

Additional Hang
Signature 1:          
20b14ad2ae81c734f2c85144d63f46fe

Additional Hang
Signature 2:           b260

Additional Hang
Signature 3:          
b26016f4e41a3ca77264793743747a66

Additional Hang
Signature 4:           20b1

Additional Hang
Signature 5:          
20b14ad2ae81c734f2c85144d63f46fe

Additional Hang
Signature 6:           b260

Additional Hang
Signature 7:          
b26016f4e41a3ca77264793743747a66

Can you tell me what this means? Is it something you can
help with?

Michele

I am paying monthly fees for nothing at the moment...... just want things to work!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Please try these steps first and see if the issue is resolved
Photo of Michele3360

Michele3360

Sorry - what steps?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

At the top, posted by Mike F
Photo of Michele3360

Michele3360

Please don't tell me to reinstall site builder again - I have done it twice - it was working before your "data migration". Did you even read my post?? Where is Homesteads responsibility in this? Why is it down to the end user to struggle through every problem without any support?? 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Michele3360,

I did read your post, and I am sorry. Prior to 2 days ago a reinstall would have done no good for your connection. The connections should be back online now. I am downloading your site now to check it out, but it going to take a bit. I don't know if you previously followed these instructions and deleted the hidden folders, but that is usually necessary. You are the first contact I have had since Wednesday of someone who is still not able to access desktop Sitebuilder.

You can try these steps exactly, or you can wait for me to see if I am able to publish your site from desktop before we do anything more.

Drew
Photo of Michele3360

Michele3360

I can access site builder, but it 'hangs' every time I try to publish. Can't go any further!!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Can I try to publish something? If you have text to publish to a page, or I can create a test page.

Drew
(Edited)
Photo of Michele3360

Michele3360

please do - a test page is fine.
 I tried to publish one page, nothing. I asked to publish all pages, it started and then.... nothing. Just keeps hanging. It was working fine before this migration, nothing has changed my end.

thanks!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

It published nicely. I saved the homepage as http://www.pintonsw.com/testpublish.html, then published. Then I added a text box and published again. Almost everytime something like this is happening, it requires either or both of the following, a clean install as described and/or an uninstall and re-install of your antivirus software.
Photo of Mileen3055

Mileen3055

I believe my third party software removal really cleans out a computer by getting fragments and files from old software being deleted and reinstalled. I have always run Ccleaner in the past whenever I would delete homestead before I would reinstall. This is what I call a clean reinstall.
(Edited)
Photo of Mileen3055

Mileen3055

My website was down today through no error of my own!!! 
Your Web site is not responding
URL: http://www.collettscountrykennel.comTime: Sat Dec 27 11:20:39 EST 2014Error Type: Connection Refused

I have not even been working on it for some time!! I thought this was OVER with??? What is your Explanaition for THIS?????
Photo of Michele3360

Michele3360

ok.....I took your advice and started by uninstalling the software on my pc -again -  in preparation for downloading and reinstalling site builder.....
NOW I CAN'T LOG ON TO MY ACCOUNT!!

"YOU HAVE ENCOUNTERED A SERVER ERROR....ETC ETC"

OMG - YOU ARE KILLING ME!!  WHAT NOW??
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Mileen3055 and Michele3360,

I don't see anything about sites being down and that site is coming up for me. We are currently having an issue with logging into your account which may be affecting Sitebuilder desktop as well.
I am sorry, we will restore it as quickly as possible.
Photo of Mileen3055

Mileen3055

My website was down today through no error of my own!!! 

Your Web Site is no longer on error
URL: http://www.collettscountrykennel.comTime: Sat Dec 27 11:41:49 EST 2014Total Time on Error: 24 minutes, 52 seconds
This is for short periods of time. I did not say it was still down. I have watch Dogs that tell me WHEN and HOW LONG a certain website is DOWN because of a Connection ERROR.
This is the Website on LINE not SITEBUILDER This is HOMESTEAD!!
(Edited)
Photo of Mileen3055

Mileen3055

Drew this is the Pitts!!!!!! ALL 5 of my websites are DOWN on ERROR!! I can't pull up any of my websites on the internet but the one with Yahoo!! Had a customer here today and could NOT bring up my website as a reference as to what I was talking about.!!!!!!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

What is happening? All of your sites are coming up for me?
Photo of Mileen3055

Mileen3055

I can bring up my Yahoo website but NO homestead websites?? I can't even bring up http://www.homestead.com/ I even put this in to allow this website, http://www.homestead.com/ Also downloaded Fire Fox. Now I can log on to Homestead! but can't load my homestead websites? Not Sitebuilder.
(Edited)
Photo of Michele3360

Michele3360

Drew,
I uninstalled and reinstalled Site Builder - added exceptions on Norton for every .exe, everything looked good.... but I still can't publish. I use Windows 7 - I AM AT A LOSS....WHAT CAN I DO??

Description:
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: SiteBuilderLPX.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 540f620a
Hang Signature: 20b1
Hang Type: 6400
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 3081
Additional Hang Signature 1: 20b14ad2ae81c734f2c85144d63f46fe
Additional Hang Signature 2: b260
Additional Hang Signature 3: b26016f4e41a3ca77264793743747a66
Additional Hang Signature 4: 20b1
Additional Hang Signature 5: 20b14ad2ae81c734f2c85144d63f46fe
Additional Hang Signature 6: b260
Additional Hang Signature 7: b26016f4e41a3ca77264793743747a66
Photo of Mileen3055

Mileen3055

Did you clean up your computer of cookies and old files and fragments before you did a clean install. If you did not you will have mixed commands that will make it not work. Has Homestead site builder ever worked with Norton? I have Advast.I have always been able to delete and rebuild Desktop Sitebuilder.
(Edited)
Photo of Michele3360

Michele3360

Yep it works with Norton... I just updated and published a page using Sitebuilder on an older computer running XP (also with Norton installed)... so obviously it is a problem with this computer somewhere.... *sigh*
Photo of Michele3360

Michele3360

try again.................
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Michele3360,

It's rare, but a few times I have had success by uninstalling the security software on the computer and then installing Sitebuilder. See if you can launch Sitebuilder. If so, then leave it running and re-install the security software.

Drew
Photo of Mileen3055

Mileen3055

I can bring up my Yahoo website but NO homestead websites?? I can't even bring up http://www.homestead.com/ I even put this in to allow this website, http://www.homestead.com/ Also downloaded Fire Fox. Now I can only log on to Homestead through this chat but can't load my homestead websites? No problem with Sitebuilder that I know of.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hi Mileen3055,

You may need DNS changes.  Create a private topic and we'll take a look. The DNS topic has a link to creating a private conversation.

Drew
Photo of Michele3360

Michele3360

Hi, I am unable to log on to my account on the Homestead Website:
Sorry, you have experienced an unexpected server error. We are working to resolve this problem as quickly as possible. Please try again later.
Any clues as to when I can log on??
Photo of Michele3360

Michele3360

I take that back - I can log on now....... trouble is I was at my computer shop for an hour while they were working to get my desktop sitebuilder working and they couldn't log on to download the program......... :(
Photo of Michele3360

Michele3360

Hi Drew,
after a bit of trouble..... I have reinstalled Sitebuilder and it is running...... BUT I cannot publish the INDEX page....... every other page publishes no problem... Is this something you can advise me on please?
Photo of Mileen3055

Mileen3055

Check your files and see if there is a Bulk folder in there. If so delete it.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hi Michele3360,

I'm glad. In the file manager does it show a publish icon? Are you viewing a cached copy?

Drew
Photo of Michele3360

Michele3360

In file manager it says:  !Publish

Cached copy???....... I don't know??? Sorry  - no techspert here :)
Photo of Mileen3055

Mileen3055

Cached copy could mean a copy of the index page. Check your files and view it!
Photo of Sergio8475

Sergio8475

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Site Builder Descktop does not work.

It stopped working several weeks ago.  Called several times. Last time someone at tech support told me that she was going to find out and call me next morning.  That was  more than a week ago.  
"There has been an error loggin in.  Please double=check your username and passowrd. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Support"

I am able to log in homestead.com but cannot create new pages or edit old ones.  The same password to log in Site Builder Desktop does not work.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Sergio8475,

Try this first. That error shoud have been resolved, but I have seen a few people that need to reinstall fresh
Photo of Mileen3055

Mileen3055

Sounds to me like you may have mixed commands the reason this is happening. Download Ccleaner and clean out all the lost files and fragments of past downloads, etc. Try again after you restart your computer. P. S. I wouldn't ask you to do nothing that I haven't done myself. Sergio8475,
(Edited)
Photo of Maria1243

Maria1243

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How to upgrade SiteBuilder to current version?.

How to update my SiteBuilder from version 2.6? I had followed all the steps but when clicking on Update SiteBuilder icon it tells me I already downloaded the last version.
Photo of William S

William S

• 18,878 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hello Maria1243,

To update your SiteBuilder desktop you would need to do a complete re-install to make sure it updates properly. Please see the above article for the steps on how to do so. 
Photo of Mileen3055

Mileen3055

Maria1243 apparently you never deleted Sitebuilder from your computer? Check your Documents and system files. That may be your computer telling you this.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled no internet connection.

had trouble since before christmas. Go to my website and it says offline, don't have a internet connection. Spend several hours and phone calls with homestead. They couldn't resolve the issue, was told it was my computer. Took the computer in the the shop completely clean it up. come home the same thing. Again homestead couldn't do anything. one day I try again and it said online and has been working great for about 2 weeks now till this morning. Back to the same ole garbage it says I am off line. I seen you has a maintenance check last night , so whatever was done messed me up.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Mark and Christa8299,

Please try this clean install first.
Photo of don4879

don4879

• 302 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I have had this problem for the past 3-4 months although having always been connected to the Internet.

I found the only solution is to close the program and then open it again. The problem is that the program will often be working and then say 'no Internet connection' when there is one.
Photo of Lucilda5962

Lucilda5962

I would love the return of Site Builder Desktop, it just does not load up on my system no matter what I do, I've cleaned it off too many times and reload it but it does not function. I was told that Homestead has no answer for that.
The people from homestead have done a clean install 4 different times and still no luck.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

What exactly is happening when you launch Sitebuilder and what Windows version do you have?
I go into sitebuilder make changes save then publish and it tells me I have no internet connection.Have had this problem since before Christmas first they told me it was on there end and it would be fixed by the end of the month. They have done everything they said they know to do and was told it was my computer so put it in the shop and took everything off brought it home same thing. Then one day I tried to and everything worked just fine and did for about 2 weeks and it started the same thing again go to publish and it says no connection. It is getting old.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Do you use a security program, like Kaspersky?
I use to have norton before I took it to the computer shop. They turned it off the first two times they re installed it. Didn't help anything. After it came from the shop I have AVG. and it was re-installed again twice with no luck. Then after all they one day it just decided to work for about 2 weeks till this past Friday morning.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Sometimes security programs block Sitebuilder. You can try uninstalling it and launch Sitebuilder to see if it works without the security. If so, then leave Sitebuilder open and re-install the security. It might be smart enough to see the open connection and automatically make an exception. I have had this work before.
Didn't work. I am confused to why it was working with avg for 2 weeks but not now.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I am not sure why either. Let me think of other things to try.
Drew, Just went in sitebuilder and everything was working wonderful. Was able to publish my pages. Don't get it works great one day the next day no internet connection. 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Mark and Christa8299

I am stumped as well. Keep us informed on future issues.
Here I go again. No internet connection. Worked fine this morning but not tonight.
Photo of Laurie0305

Laurie0305

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I can't publish my website or upload anything..

I can't upload my website or publish - The computer locks up - I have tried repeatedly to publish my website or even update it and its a nightmare - I can't afford to have this locking up
Photo of Sarah3485

Sarah3485

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Can I uninstall the old homestead sitebuilder downloaded program from my computer....
Photo of William S

William S

Yes you can. Uninstalling the program should not delete the files, but I would recommend making a backup as shown in the article above. 
Photo of Tanya1242

Tanya1242

• 212 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Sitebuildere will not launch. It says the exe. file is not win32 What to do?.

site builder will not launch How to fix
Photo of William S

William S

Hello Tanya,

Try a complete re-install of SiteBuilder shown in the article above. 
Photo of Karla1190

Karla1190

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I am one huge bundle of anxiety. The site keeps shutting down when I try to uploa....

Constant error on the site and it's shuts down.   I have been trying for several days to get some pics uploaded from a convention I shot last weekend and the continuous crash is past trying my patience.
Photo of Mark8476

Mark8476

• 344 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Why does Homestead keep crashing?.

Why does Homestead keep crashing? I'm in the process of updating my website pages and adding a couple of new pages. The program closes while I am working on it without saving what I have done. This problem is getting worse.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You may need to do a clean install. Or you can use the online Sitebuilder.
Photo of diane2810

diane2810

• 224 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Site Builder crashes when I try to publish an edited page.

I have 2 websites my main site ladyp.homestead.com, every time I try to update this site Homestead Site Builder crashes and I have to go through the login procedure again. Why is this happening? My other site http://maidsuniformsandprissysissydressescustommadeforyou.com does not crash. The only difference between the 2 sites is that my main site pages carry the Google Maps element which were added a few years ago. Could this cause the problem if so is there an up to date Google Maps element.
Photo of Cam9242

Cam9242

• 282 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Sitebuilder ( not the plus version ) desn't stay online and keeps crashing..

When Starting Sitebuilder ( not the plus ) it says it needs updating and won't stay online. When I click the update it goes to an error url..
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You probably need to do this clean installation.
Photo of Cam9242

Cam9242

Why is this the only answer you have? done that twice.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Desktop is a very old problem and this normally resolves any issues. What Windows version are you on? When does Sitebuilder crash?
Photo of Cam9242

Cam9242

on loading it never goes online. then I have choice of closing or trying to go online again. if I choose close then it closes. I can make changes and save but going live is when the online issue comes in
windows 10.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

When you did the re-install, did you manually delete the indicated folder? This is an important step. The normal Windows 10 issue is that it won't launch at all.
Photo of Cam9242

Cam9242

Yes. There was another issue with windows 10 and it not opening and that was fixed. it has been fine since the xmas fiasco.
Photo of R.

R.

• 2,476 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Hi. I downloaded Sitebuilder on to my laptop, but when I open it, it freezes whil....

Hi. I downloaded Sitebuilder on to my laptop, but when I open it, it freezes while trying to open. (It gets stuck opening "file trees" or whatever). Any ideas? Thanks.trees
Photo of Lothar3215

Lothar3215

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Site Builder stays OFFLINE and will not connect although my PC is connected to th....

Site Builder used to automatically connect to the internet when I launched it from my desktop. Recently it stays OFFLINE and will not connect. Keep getting a message that I must connect to the internet although my PC is connected? Resolve this issue how????
Photo of Karen2865

Karen2865

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Can't access File Folders.

I am on SiteBuilder Win7 

I can Import new images, save & Publish

Last 2 days:
When I go to any open folder in the file cabinet - SiteBuilder freezes

I then have to do a alt/ctr delete & stop the program running.
The error window tells me that Sitebuilder is Not working.

Both of these sites act the same: 
TshirtsOnYou.com
FruitvilleF210.org

Thanks for any ideas here. K
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Karen2865, try doing this clean install.
Photo of David0589

David0589

• 614 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Desktop version of Site Builder drops "Offline" all the time..

Desktop version of Site Builder drops "Offline" all the time these days. I know I am online - is there a setting, or something I can check to stop this.
I am working on the site - I upload and it's fine, then it just says "Offline"
Help!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Try reinstalling it, following these instructions. There are steps in this topic that are not done in a normal uninstall and are required.
Photo of David0589

David0589

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Desktop SiteBuilder goes offline for no reason. Does anyone else have this issue....

While working on Desktop version of SiteBuilder it will stop responding at times.  Wont let me save, wont publish just stops.  If I go to my task manager it shows it's there but not running.
Other times I go to publish and it says Im offline, and I know I'm not.  HELP.
And please do not just tell me to use sitebuilder plus online - I like the desk top cause I can work on more than one page at a time.
Photo of Todd H

Todd H, Social Media Specialist

• 20,824 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
If it gives an error that it goes offline, you may need to reinstall the Sitebuilder program. This article goes over a complete re-install.
Be sure to backup your site files just in case, you can find this folder at C:\ProgramData\Homestead\SiteBuilder\data\user\Sites
After you have saved these files, be sure to uninstall the program from your Control Panel. You will want to delete the Homestead folder out of C:\ProgramData and you will want to delete the other folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\Homestead most likely.

After these 2 folders are removed, go ahead and try to re-install the builder. After it is launched, you can then copy your backed up site files back in the same folder again, at C:\ProgramData\Homestead\SiteBuilder\data\user\Sites.
Photo of David0589

David0589

no message - 
just stops saving or publishing.

other times when I go to publish it gives me the normal window say I'm offline and do I want to continue offline.
Photo of Todd H

I would recommend uninstalling, and re-installing your builder.
Photo of Steve6196

Steve6196

• 274 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled sitebuilder locks up when I try to publish.

sitebuilder locks up. This happens when software is generating the index mostly on the home page. have to use task manager to shut down program
Photo of Andrea4848

Andrea4848

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Error message: New update required??? my internet is connected so why isnt my Sit....

Error message: New update required??? my internet is connected so why isnt my SiteBuilder updating. Its asking me to close & relaunch SiteBuilder while Im connected to the internet... but I already am??
Photo of Jonathan3095

Jonathan3095

• 2,444 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Sitebuilder not launching.

Old sitebuilder persistently stops launching. I have used it for 20 years but I have it on several computers and it always seems to stop launching. I have seen a technician who spent a lot of time on it. I have just bought another laptop with windows 7 freshly loaded and sitebuilder worked for two weeks and stopped. Jon
Photo of Arnold Wolf

Arnold Wolf

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Why can I no longer publish my Homestead websites?.

I can no longer publish my pages. Your site says to reload the Homestead but cannot find a way to reinstall Homestead website. call me at 713-906-4867
Photo of stephen7065

stephen7065

• 232 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Sitebuilder locking up -.

As soon as I make even the smallest change absolutely everything locks up and will not even allow the change just made to be saved. I then have to resort to ctrl alt delete in order to logout of Sitebuilder.  www.stevedellwoodturning.com 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

stephen7065, Try this topic, step by step to see if it helps. It is very important that you manually delete the files in the programdata folder.

Keep in mind that if it is important that you be able to edit, you can log in at Homestead.com and use the online editor to make changes and publish.
Photo of stephen7065

stephen7065

Not certain I understand your reply.

Can you tell me what a programdata folder is?  It’s not something I have been aware of in the approx 12 years I have had a site with Homestead.

Also, have just logged into my site at Homestead, in the hope that I could do an update on line, as I think you had suggested in your reply and the gallery page that I had been working on looks like it’s been hit by a bomb and nothing like the version I currently have when I log on to sitebuilder at home or when the site is viewed via the internet

Feeling rather frustrated at the moment!!

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

In Windows 7, Microsoft moved program data from the programs folder to a hidden folder named programdata. It also contains some settings and configuration that must be removed before reinstalling desktop.

Is the published site correct? Unfortunately on some occasions older sites don't sync correctly when desktop is usually used. I can have the published copy put into the online editor for you if the published site is up to date.
Photo of stephen7065

stephen7065

Windows 7 ? I had updated from 8 to 10 but then my hard drive died on me about 6 months ago and the new hard drive was put back to 8 and as I had not noticed a significant difference between 8 and 10 I stayed with 8, should this make a difference to the current problem?

The site as published is as up to date as I could hope for at the moment and I (think) it’s only the gallery page that is affected at the moment. If you can reset to the published version that would be a helpful start.

Also, assuming I need to, I’am still not certain I know where I find the programdata folder?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I should have said Windows 7 and later.  The path is C:\ProgramData\Homestead\Homestead SiteBuilder\data\user\Sites

Programdata is hidden, so you need to view hidden folders or type this path in the Windows Explorer address bar. There will be 3 folders. Assuming you are working on the 1 site with the domain the folder will be _1752411914

I will work on getting the online editor working on the current published site.
Photo of stephen7065

stephen7065

Further to previous problems. Have now had Sitebuilder reinstalled and Windows upgraded from 8 to 10 as you had suggested and today, the first time I have tried to used Sitebuilder since the reinstall all looked to be working fine for about 10 minutes and then the same problem as before everything totally locked up and as before could only exit via CTRL ALT delete.  So I am now back to square one, can you help 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I am not sure. If I can arrange it, would you be willing to have a tech remotely connect to your computer and go through the install from start to finish?
Photo of stephen7065

stephen7065

That sounds like it could be helpful and yes would certainly give it a try.
However, I have just become aware that a windows 10 update that I thought had been done just after the installation of 10 had failed have tried several times since and it still fails, have also used the Microsoft troubleshooter. Could this be a reason for the problem with the website ?  I also understand from chatter on Google that many others are also having the same problem with the 10 update. 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

It could be an issue. I have Sitebuilder running on 3 Windows 10 machines, but I have to run the Microsoft J# repair tool almost every time Windows updates. Then desktop starts right up. I will see if I can arrange it. It might be next week. Do you have the computer with you during the day? You would have to be at the keyboard.
Photo of stephen7065

stephen7065

Yes, retired and at home most days so should not be a problem, though if you can you give me a bit of advance warning it would be good. Will wait to hear from you.
Photo of stephen7065

stephen7065

Thought I should let you know, will now be out and away from my computer for most of this Thursday 26th. 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I am looking for an alternate method. I hadn't noticed that you are in the UK. I am seeing if there is another way for us or if I can get an outbound line that will work. It is not the default for our agents.
Photo of stephen7065

stephen7065

Do you have any good news ?
Photo of R.

R.

Hi Drew,

You wrote:

"I should have said Windows 7 and later.  The path is C:\ProgramData\Homestead\Homestead SiteBuilder\data\user\Sites"

I'm wondering if this this is how I can make a backup of my website? I'm using Windows 7 and Sitebuilder desktop. Haven't been able to locate the files to date.

Thanks and I hope you are well.

Photo of Todd H

Your backup files should exist in the ProgramData folder. If you do not see ProgramData inside of C:\, you may have to enable hidden folder view.
Photo of R.

R.

Thanks, Todd. Can't find Program Data folder. Any clues?