How do I do a complete re-install of SiteBuilder Desktop?

• Question
  • Updated 11 months ago
  • Answered
In order to reinstall SiteBuilder to your computer you will need to completely delete the previous installation and install a fresh copy of SiteBuilder. This is also called a clean install. There are a lot of steps involved, particularly if you want to back up your data files, so you will need to follow every step.

Getting started

• If you have not published all of your latest changes or pages, make sure to complete sections A, B, and C.

• If you are sure that you have published all of your latest changes or pages, just complete section B.

Section A: Back up your SiteBuilder data files
If you are using:

• Windows XP go to C:\Program Files\Homestead\SiteBuilder\data\user\Sites.

• Windows Vista and Windows 7, Windows 8 go to C:\ProgramData\Homestead\SiteBuilder\data\user\Sites. To learn how to find this folder, read Show hidden folders in Windows.

You will see one or more folders named "XXXXXXXXXX", but with a number sequence instead of the letter "X". Copy the folders to a "backup" location on your computer hard drive, like C:\sitebackup.

Section B: Perform the clean installation of SiteBuilder
Uninstall SiteBuilder 

1. Close all of your Web browser sessions. 

2. Go to the Control Panel. (Click Start in the lower left corner of your computer desktop. Then click Control Panel.)

3. In the Control Panel window, double-click Add or Remove Programs

4. When the Add or Remove Programs window appears, select Homestead SiteBuilder, and click Change/Remove. Then click Next.

5. To confirm the deletion click OK

6. When the deletion is complete, go to your SiteBuilder directory and delete it.

• Windows XP users go to: C:\Program Files\Homestead\SiteBuilder.

• Windows Vista and Windows 7, Windows 8 users go to: C:\ProgramData\Homestead.

1. Remove all SiteBuilder Shortcuts:

• If you have a SiteBuilder icon on your desktop, drag it to the Recycle Bin. 

• Click Start in the lower left corner of your computer desktop. If you see Sitebuilder in the start menu right click on the file name and click Remove from This List.

• Click Start in the lower left corner of your computer desktop and select All Programs. If you see Homestead >SiteBuilder in the All Programs list right click SiteBuilder and Click Delete.

1. Restart your computer. This will safely remove SiteBuilder from your computer.

Note: In Windows Vista and Windows 7, Windows 8, Program Data is a hidden folder. For more information, go to Show Hidden Folders .

Reinstall SiteBuilder 

1. Go online and open a Web browser (make sure you have disabled any firewall programs like ZoneAlarm or Norton Internet Security). 

2. Go to: https://www.homestead.com/~site/Scripts_SiteManager/SiteManager.dll?CMD=CMDDownloadPage.

1. Click Download.

2. If you are using: 

• Internet Explorer
    • File Download Security Warning box will open, click Run.
    • Internet Explorer Security Warning box will open, click Run.

• Mozilla Firefox
    • Opening SiteBuilderSetup.exe box will open. Click Save File.
    • In the Downloads window double click, SiteBuilderSetup.exe
    • Open File Security Warning box will open. Click Run.

1. The SiteBuilder Install Wizard will launch. Click Next to Download and Install SiteBuilder.

2. You will need to choose an install location for SiteBuilder. Click Next to begin install to the default location. Approximately 8 MBs of files will download to your computer during installation, so it may take several minutes on a dial-up connection. After the installation is completed, the following message appears: Click Finish to launch SiteBuilder.

3. Click Finish and SiteBuilder will start. 

4. After SiteBuilder has started, enter your Login Name and Password, and click OK

5. Under Open Site, select a site from the dropdown menu, and click OK

6. Close SiteBuilder. 

Note: Make sure you are connected to the Internet throughout this process. During installation SiteBuilder files will need to be downloaded and unpacked to your computer, so it may take several minutes to complete the process. If you are installing the .NET version of SiteBuilder, you'll need to have .NET 2.0 installed. Use the following links according to your system requirements:

32 Bit Systemshttp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en
64 Bit Systems: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b44a0000-acf8-4fa1-affb-40e78d788b00&displaylang=en

Section C: Restore your SiteBuilder Data files

1. Go to the location where you backed up your site folders in Section A. 

2. Select the folders and copy them (CTRL+C). 

3. Navigate into the SiteBuilder folder on your hard drive.

• Windows XP users locate the following folder: C:\Program Files\Homestead\SiteBuilder\data\user\Sites.

• Windows Vista and Windows 7, Windows 8 users locate the following folder: C:\ProgramData\Homestead\SiteBuilder\data\user\Sites.

1. Paste the backup site folders into that location (CTRL+V).

2. Now that your clean installation is complete, try starting SiteBuilder again.

SiteBuilder will normally run fine at this point. If it does not then there may be something on the computer interfering with the program, usually security/antivirus software. Just turning it off does not always prevent it from interfering so you will likely have to find the section in the software to add the SiteBuilde “exes” as program exceptions. Every program (security software) is different so you will need to look for a section to exclude programs from being blocked. If you can’t find it by clicking around in the program just you can Google it.

The exes that need to be added as program exceptions are all the ones in C:\Program Files (x86)\Homestead\SiteBuilder:
SiteBuilderLPX.exe
SiteBuilderLPXLauncher.exe
SiteBuilderLPXLauncherUpdated.exe
updater.exe
ForceUpdate.exe
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,578 Points 100k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Jeremy4089

Jeremy4089

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Windows 8.1 sitebuilder download-install problems.

I can't download and install sitebuilder on windows 8.1 laptop. I tried both versions above and below vista options and neither work. The one for vista says I need virtual machine and that will mess up things with windows 8.1.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,558 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Jeremy4089,

You can try acomplete reinstall as shown above if you wish, but my advice would be to use the online SiteBuilder Plus as the best long term solution and avoid all installation/desktop issues.

There's no cost to convert so just let us know if you would like us to make the change.

Mike
Photo of Jeremy4089

Jeremy4089

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks Mike,
I did a full factory format on my laptop and did all the updates. Then I followed the new installation steps and SiteBuilder seems to be working on this windows 8.1 laptop. I'll keep using the desktop SiteBuilder since it's working. I'll post if any problems.. Thanks again,

Jeremy
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Thanks for the update.
Photo of rohan6985

rohan6985

• 294 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi Mike

Does sitebuilder plus have the same functionality as sitebuilder desktop?
I take it sitebuilder lite is different from plus?

Rohan6985
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

SB+ does not have the "personal" widgets like hit counters, weather widgets etc., but they've added a much more modern template gallery and some other design tools, master templates, image editing (crop, round corners, shadow effects etc). It looks a lot simpler but it actually has more functionality than the desktop version.

Yes, Lite is different than Plus. Plus is far superior. Just reply here if you would like to convert the account for you.

Mike
Photo of rohan6985

rohan6985

Mike

How easy is it to convert to sitebuilder plus and does my account stay the same in all other regards
can I convert to sitebuilder plus by logging into my account

Rohan
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

It's very easy but it has to be done on our end. Other than the items mentioned above it will have the same functionality and a few newer features. It will look a little different so there will be a small learning curve to re-familiarize yourself but overall it functions the same way.

Mike
Photo of Mileen3055

Mileen3055

• 2,456 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Once you use Sitebuilder You will find you can't do your work with the same ease as before. It will take you one hour to do the work in 15 minutes on sitebuilder. It's one big ass headache!! I will uninstall and reinstall before I will ever use sitebuilder plus!
Site builder PLUS does not function the SAME WAY!! Not if you have built websites using extensive creativity. You will loose some of your work!!!
(Edited)
Photo of Liz5583

Liz5583

• 552 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Homestead which forced me to close the program.

In site: livinist.com

There's problem with Homestead which forced me to close the program and I can't update photography and I try fixing it and update again but I can't with my computer. I try using original computer that created the website in the first place but it still has the same problem.

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Liz5583,

You can try to do a clean install as shown above, but, the best fix is to switch to the newer SiteBuilder Plus. There's no cost to convert so just reply here and we'll convert your account.

Mike
Photo of William Cox

William Cox

• 134 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I didn't have a choice, apparently, between Sitebuilder and Sitebuilder Plus! Now I understand a new change may be even more difficult to adjust to!
Photo of Dennis5411

Dennis5411

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm trying to make changes and add pictures to my web site but the program locks up when I make a change.

I can get into sitebuilder and it seems normal. I've added some new pictures but when I go to review only a few of them show up and the others are just small "X". When I try to delete the new pictures the program locks up and I have to restart the program to get where I was and then the same thing all over again.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,676 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Try this first.

Drew
Photo of Dennis5411

Dennis5411

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling sitebuilder twice and it still locks up. I don't think I'm getting it completely uninstalled
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Are you following these directions? They require manually deleting some folders.

Drew
Photo of Loueita1521

Loueita1521

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Frustrated.

Please help me install site builder plus. It won't install. I have Windows 7 (I have always had this version, it isn't new)
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Loueita1521,

SiteBuilder Plus is web-based so there is nothing to install. It sounds like you are referring to the old desktop version. Can you tell us where you are running into problems, error messages etc? The instructions above may help.

Mike
Photo of Walter3586

Walter3586

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Is anyone out there having trouble opening Homestead from the desktop icon> I just upgraded to Windows 8.1, and cannot open from the icon..

Tried re-installing Homestead. Same problem.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

I'm not sure if you did a complete, clean , reinstall like shown above, so if not, try the steps above and notice the .exe files that you may have to add as exceptions to your security software.

If you are still unable to get it to install, we can convert your account to the online Plus version. You can reply here if you would like us to make that change for you.

Mike
Photo of Tom0203

Tom0203

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
recommended version of .NET framework 2.0?.

We have two webmasters for our site. Both are running Win 7 SP1. One (me) has Homestead site builder Version 1 (.NET) built at 2014-01-31 11:15 and I can build with site builder.

The other webmaster cannot upgrade past Homestead site builder Version 1 (.NET) built at 2013-07-01 14:07, and cannot build with site builder. The Help indicates "if you are installing the .NET version of SiteBuilder, you'll need to have .NET 2.0 installed. Use the following links (etc.)". I have .NET framework 2.0 Version 2.0.50727.5420. What is the minimum or recommended version of .NET framework 2.0? Tanx! TY
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

2.0 should have been the minimum, and that is also the minimum that is on Windows 7 unless you build or upgraded your machine on your own. Some newer Windows 7 machines may even have 3.5. I would recommend using 2.0 minimum as stated above.

Also, if you have multiple users working on the same site, from different computers and locations, its recommended to use the Plus version which is web based.

Mike
Photo of Tom0203

Tom0203

Mike, both of us have the same .NET framework 2.0 Version: 2.0.50727.5420. We both also have .NET 3.5, but what we don't both have is .NET 4.0: I do (working) and the other guy doesn't (NOT wkg).

Also, tanx for the tip on the web-based version, however we are not in any real danger of shredding each others work. We may still switch to it after we get our recent work synch'd up. TY
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Tom0203, We are doing some research on this right now. It looks like there may be some sort of change Microsoft pushed out causing this problem. We'll reply here with an update when we get confirmation and/or a resolution.

Mike
Photo of Matt4778

Matt4778

Can't edit website. Getting security violations.

Since updating Windows 8, my security settings will not allow me to use Homestead site builder. It says that the exe file can't load. I tried reloading the program but that isn't working either and the website editing is terrible. I can't update half of my website on line. My page also won't use Java because of security issues.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Try following these instructions to re-install Sitebuilder.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Peter1729

Peter1729

Installation of SiteBuilder Desktop fails with file missing.

Why is the download for Site Builder throwing an Error 404 for File not found? http://install.homestead.com/~site/In... ?
Windows 7 machine I was asked to upgrade when I logged into Homestead. Had Site Builder already installed.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Try this procedure.
Photo of Peter1729

Peter1729

Yeah that didn't work. Got Norton support and they confirmed it is not my firewall.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I am sorry tat it didn't work. Through this channel, that is about all I can do to help. It works almost every time.

The only other thing I can do for you now is to convert your account to Sitebuilder Plus, a new online editor. If you want to remain on the desktop version, then I suggest that you contact support during the week.

Drew
Photo of Michele3360

Michele3360

• 448 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Site builder freezing problem.

I downloaded site builder for my existing account on to my new computer which runs windows 7. When I try to use the preview button site builder freezes and when I try to publish the index page it freezes. I got the following problem report :Description: A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows. Problem signature: Problem Event Name: AppHangB1 Application Name: SiteBuilderLPX.exe Application Version: 0.0.0.0 Application Timestamp: 52ebf6b4 Hang Signature: 20b1 Hang Type: 6400 OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48 Locale ID: 3081 Additional Hang Signature 1: 20b14ad2ae81c734f2c85144d63f46fe Additional Hang Signature 2: af60 Additional Hang Signature 3: af605044b32d00df504b093bfc4c62f8 Additional Hang Signature 4: 20b1 Additional Hang Signature 5: 20b14ad2ae81c734f2c85144d63f46fe Additional Hang Signature 6: af60 Additional Hang Signature 7: af605044b32d00df504b093bfc4c62f8 Read our privacy statement online: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linki... If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline: C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Michele3360,  It looks like there is something on the computer blocking the program from running. This is usually caused by security software.  If you look at the reinstallation instructions above, notice at the end there are several ".exe" files.  My recommendation is to add these as exceptions to your security software to make sure they are not being blocked.   You may have to go through with a full reinstall as shown above.  If this does not work, you always have the option of converting to the newer SiteBuilder Plus which runs in your browser so there is nothing to install. 

Mike
Photo of don4879

don4879

• 302 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Sitebuilder contatanly crashing.

Sitebuiler contanly crashes when trying to edit or greate new pages.
The error message is:
Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:                        CLR20r3

Problem Signature 01:                       sitebuilderlpx.exe

Problem Signature 02:                       0.0.0.0

Problem Signature 03:                       52ebf6b4

Problem Signature 04:                       System.Drawing

Problem Signature 05:                       2.0.0.0

Problem Signature 06:                       506c194d

Problem Signature 07:                       175

Problem Signature 08:                       29

Problem Signature 09:                       System.OutOfMemoryException

OS Version:                                          6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID:                                             2057

Any suggestion as to how to resolve the problem would be appreciated
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

don4879,   Try to do a clean reinstall as shown above. If you still have problems let us know as we can convert the account to the newer SiteBuilder Plus which will eliminate any installation issues.
Photo of Glenda5932

Glenda5932

Text Box Acting Funny.

When I am editing a page..adding text...moving it with my mouse..the text box moves shaky and out of control..lands wherever..and when I add text.. the text box shoots to the top of the page...any ideas?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hi Glenda5932

First try a clean install of Sitebuilder.

Thanks

Drew

Photo of Buddy & Debi4250

Buddy & Debi4250

SiteBuilder keeps shutting down on me while I'm working on my site. Any idea why?.

SiteBuilder keeps shutting down on me while I'm working on my site. Any idea why?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Try following these instructions.

Drew
Photo of Woody9852

Woody9852

• 328 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hello Woody9852

Try doing this clean install.  If you are still unable to publish, please tell us a little more about what is happening when you try to edit.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of don4879

don4879

Same as. Many of the above. Sitebuilder desktop version constantly crashes as closed when updating pages. We have used this for more than 10 years without any problems but If the desktop version continues to fail (we have done 2 clean reinstalls ) this is likely to be our last year of using it.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I understand the frustration.  You can always switch to the new Sitebuilder Plus, the online editor.

Drew
Photo of don4879

don4879

Most of our work is in Thailand with a kids charity where internet connections are unreliable. the desktop version enables us to edit the site and publish when we do have a good connection. the plus site would not work for us (unfortunately) as the connection is never reliable for long enough  enough (not Homestead's fault).
So without a reliable desktop version I guess it is time to move along.
I have as a last resort just tried a forced update, so fingers crossed that will help!
(Edited)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I understand.  The clean installation will be more likely to work than the force update though.

Drew
Photo of don4879

don4879

Having already done two clean installs without any improvement I am trying the forced update as a last resort.
I will repost if there is an improvement.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Ok.  I do apologize for the frustration.
Photo of Maila7728

Maila7728

I have been having this issue since last year and I did the reinstall, having the same issue...can't update because it crashes every 2 minutes...seemed like I am not the only one having this issue...don't you have a solution yet?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Maila7728,  Make sure you follow the instructions at the very end and add the following files as exceptions to your security software.

The exes that need to be added as program exceptions are all the ones in C:\Program Files (x86)\Homestead\SiteBuilder:
SiteBuilderLPX.exe
SiteBuilderLPXLauncher.exe
SiteBuilderLPXLauncherUpdated.exe
updater.exe
ForceUpdate.exe

If this does not work, the best solution is to convert to the newer SiteBuilder Plus. 
(Edited)
Photo of Lois3645

Lois3645

Windows 8.1 stops SiteBuilder after using 15 min..
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Lois3645,

Try to do a clean reinstall as shown above. If you still have problems let us know as we can convert the account to the newer SiteBuilder Plus which will eliminate any installation issues.

Photo of Jeanni7165

Jeanni7165

• 226 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I just installed my site builder on my new computer which has Windows 8.1 as its OS.

I just installed my site builder on my new computer which has Windows 8.1 as its OS. Everything started out OK but when I open Sitebuilder it starts to "check files" and gets about halfway through and freezes. Then I can't even close sitebuilder without the task manager.  How can I get this thing to work?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Jeanni7165,

It sounds like there could be something on your computer blocking it from running or performing a certain task. Sometimes security software can cause this problem. As a first step, try temporarily turning of your security software (virus scan/firewall), and then opening Sitebuilder to see if that is the cause.  If not then you'll want to do a clean reinstall.

If that still does not work, then you always have the option of switching to the newer SiteBuilder Plus which is web based so eliminates the installation issues on various OS's.

Mike

Photo of Jeanni7165

Jeanni7165

I took your advice and did a clean install of sitebuilder and it loads fine now but it's excruciatingly , painfully slow!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Good morning Jeanni7165,

Have you shut down the computer and restarted to see if that clears it up? 

Drew
Photo of Woody9852

Woody9852

Agreed - it is extremely excruciatingly and painfully slow!  Why does the free version of Sitebuilder (the one with the ads) work soooo much better and waaaay faster?  I've started using that (creating new web sites, of course) rather than deal with the hassle of trying to continue with the old Sitebuilder, which I am still annually paying for.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hello Woody9852,

Any version of Sitebuilder is provided free of charge when you have a website hosting plan.  Sitebuilder Plus is the newest version of the program and is designed for more current computers.  There is no charge specifically for any Sitebuilder

Thanks

Drew
Photo of don4879

don4879

Just in case it is of any help to anyone I also had the problem of the desktop version constantly crashing even after a clean reinstall. Even after a clean reinstall it keeps asking to update the version but after clicking update it only opens the Sitebuilder program and does not actually download any update.

I have started reducing the sizes of the images before importing them into Sitebuilder rather than importing the full size file and letting Sitebuilder reduce it. Since doing this the program has been stable and with no speed issues.
(Edited)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Thanks for sharing that don4879,

With newer digital cameras, I often see images 5-10 megabytes in size.  If you place 2-5 images this large in the site it will cause a significant slow down.  Sitebuilder resizes images, but by making a copy, so the original is still on the site.  Your process solves for that problem.

Keep in mind, that no matter what your Internet Service Provider says your speed is, they are talking about download speed.  They all provide upload speeds that are a fraction of the download speed.

Thanks again Don

Drew
Photo of don4879

don4879

To clarify, I was not referring to the actual speed for uploading the pages to the server, but by reducing the image sizes before importing them considerable reduces the time it takes to draw the images on the page.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I see that now.  Sorry.  You are correct there as well.  It will run much better with previously resized images.

Thanks for the clarification.
Photo of Jeanni7165

Jeanni7165

Drew I have shut down and restarted my computer ( every night) but the old version of site builder is still painfully slow to load.  In fact, I had to let it load all night long one time just to get it to open.  i would like to try site builder plus but you're telling me I wouldn't have to pay for it? and that there's no desktop version?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Good morning Jeanni7165,

You are already using the desktop version.  Your images are already pretty well optimized.  I think in your case, it is the comparrison process causing the slow down.  You have several thousand files to look at for Sitebuilder to load.

We can convert your account to Sitebuilder Plus and your bill will be the same.  Just make sure you have published all your changes and let us know you are ready to convert.  Then log out of your account.  We will let you know when we have completed the conversion.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Jeanni7165

Jeanni7165

Thanks Drew.  I'll do that today.

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You're welcome
Photo of Jeanni7165

Jeanni7165

Drew, I had to let sitebuilder open all night to get it to load but as soon as it opened it froze before I could publish anything. I guess I'll just have to make my changes again once SB+ is connected to my account.Thanks for everything.
Photo of Jeanni7165

Jeanni7165

Please convert my account to use Sitebuilder Plus.

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I am sorry about that.  I don't know why it took that long.  I opened your site in the desktop version this morning, and it was very slow, but I got it launched.  Let's try Sitebuilder Plus and you can see how that works.  We can always switch back and see if we can improve the speed in some other way.

I'll let you know when I have it done.

Drew
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Jeanni7165,

Ok, You can go ahead and log in and Homestead.  The log in button is at the top right.  Once logged in, click on Websites manager on the left.  Select the site you want to edit from the drop down.  Wait for the screen to refresh, and then hit the Edit site button. 

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Phyllis1647

Phyllis1647

• 1,444 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Homestead shuts down on me!.

Why does my homestead site builder shut down? It is driving me around the bend. I have it down load on my computer and I only get perhaps 30 to 60 seconds of doing changes and then a bar comes up and says Sitebuilder needs to close, gerrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! Any help most appreciated
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

HI Phyllis1647

There could be a number of reasons for this. Take a look at the clean installation instructions on this topic. Notice at the end there are a list of ".exe" files.  In some cases it's the security software on your computer that could be causing the program to stop. You will want to add these files as exceptions to your security software. 

Also, you always have the option of converting to SiteBuilder Plus which is web based so eliminates the installation issues. Let us know if you want to change.

Mike

Photo of Sharron3405

Sharron3405

• 204 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Site Builder LPX.Updater.exe stopped working message.

I have been trying for some time now to access my website and it tells me it needs to update the program so it starts to go through the process and then a message comes up "Site Builder LPX.Updater.exe has stopped working.  Windows will close the program until a solution can be found.  And the site closes!!!!!!!  This is frustrating.  Are Homestead having a problem?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Sharron3405,  You'll want to do a clean install and be sure to add the "exe" files shown at the end of the instructions, as exceptions to your security software. If for some reason you still have problems you can always have us convert the account to the Plus (web based) version.

Mike
Photo of Woody9852

Woody9852

Sharon - Homestead has been having problems for several months with their hosting program.  Everything they've told me to try has not worked, including this "clean install": thing.  They've made some major changes in the Sitebuilder program quite some time ago, and ever since then, I've noticed a tremendous increase in the number of customer problems and complaints.  Hopefully, you'll get resolution soon. Good Luck
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Sharron3405,  For further clarification, the SiteBuilder desktop version has not had any significant updates for several years.  The last major upgrades occurred several years ago when Windows XP was the latest operating system. We released the web based version (SiteBuilder Plus) as an option that would be more universal as it runs in your web browser and will therefor also work on Mac computers. 

Since then,  Microsoft has released Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and 8.1.  With each version it seems that the desktop version is becoming less and less compatible as it's simply not designed to run on the newer operating systems.

Web design and technology in general changes rapidly. In the long run you'll find it in your best interest to switch to the Plus version.  Many new websites (and all major browsers),  including our SiteBuilder Plus are now using and supporting HTML5 which is becoming the new standard for web design.  This is one reason that some of the old elements from the desktop version have been removed from the Plus version. Equally this is what has enable us to add some of the new features such as image handling effects that allow you to rotate, crop, add shadows, frames etc to images. Also, the Plus version will allow you to insert your own custom, or 3rd party HTML5 code which the old version will not.

I hope this helps.

Mike
Photo of Maila7728

Maila7728

I get that, however, don't we, as paying costumers get an option to get the desktop version as we prefer it? With all these issues that you are aware of, for many, many months and affecting many of your costumers....why not get an update for the desktop? I really used to like homestead, I have been a costumer for many years, but I will just finish my paid service which will end in December. Homestead should be able to adapt to windows upgrade and not leave costumers with one option, which is to switch. I heard that once I switch to the website version, and decide to transfer to another host, it will be almost impossible....what do you think Mike? Do you know how hard it will be to switch to another web host if I were to switch to the online version of Sitebuilder?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Maila7728,  I can not comment on the reasons why our management team and developers have not made updates to the desktop version, but, by switching to the Plus version it will not make any difference if you decide to switch to another host. I do know that there are a lot of changes being made within our organization so that in the future we will be able to offer a greater line up of products and services.

One of the things that most DIY webmasters run into all the time is that most hosting companies have their own proprietary site building software.  I don't know of a single one that is compatible with another. So when someone wants to transfer a site from Homestead, or too Homestead, they will always need to rebuild the site with the new companies software.  One exception would be if the site were written in code without the use of a website builder which is rarely done these days. Changing from the desktop version to the Plus version has not relevance as far as transferring a site.

Mike

Photo of Jeanni7165

Jeanni7165

I had Homestead switch me to the SB+ version a couple of days ago and while I like most of it the one thing I really HATE about it is that I don't have access to all the different fonts I have on my computer the way I did with the desktop version.  Now somehow I have to find the time to go through 100+ pages of my websites and convert the fonts to something I can live with in the new SB.  If they could somehow manage to give me access to my fonts with SB+ it would be near perfect.
Also the first time I opened SB+ it took such a long time opening my site (it is quite large) that Homestead timed out and shut down and I had to start all over again. It does run better on Internet Explorer than on Google Chrome.

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Thanks for the comments Jeanni7165,

Sitebuilder Plus will definitely take a longer time to open the first time as it has some work to do from the conversion.  It should be faster afterwards, but the larger the site, the slower it will be.

Browser success seems to be pretty variable by user.  IT might have to do with various plugins, we are not quite sure, but most people seem to enjoy Firefox the most.  That said, if Internet Explorer works for you, then go with it.

There are many things that went into the font decisions with Sitebuilder Plus.  Read our topic on fonts.  Look for the reponses from Aaron Hopkins.  He does a great job of explaining.  If you really want additional fonts, Google does have some web based fonts that you should be able to implement, but it does require using some code, which they will provided to you.

If you have further questions about any of this, please create a new topic or search to see if it already exists, as this is a bit off topic for this thread.

Thanks

Drew

Photo of GU7083

GU7083

Edit Problem.

I have been unable to edit pages on my site. Every time I log in, the program stops working and closes. I have tried several times to restart on log in, but to no avail. Hope there is a solution.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

GU7083,   The easiest fix is to upgrade to the web based version, SiteBuilder Plus.  There's not cost to change so just reply here if you want us to convert the account. Otherwise, you will want to do a clean reinstall as explained here.

Mike
Photo of Alan1755

Alan1755

• 228 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Sitebuilder won't load in Windows 8.1.

I upgraded from W8 to 8.1 now site builder won't load
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You can try these instructions first, or we can convert you to the new online Sitebuilder so there is no need to install software.  It runs through a web browser.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Peter3856

Peter3856

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Like many others, can't get sitebuilder to run on my W8 machine.
Given that I've tried all the suggested hints, I guess my only option seems to be to get switched over to Sitebuilder Plus.  Can you make that happen?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Good morning Peter3856,

Your account has been switched.  You can log in to your account at http://www.homestead.com and click on the websites manager tab and then hit edit site.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Libby3975

Libby3975

• 364 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hello Theresa0537,

Try these instructions to re-install.  We can also switch you to the new Sitebuilder Plus, which is online and doesn't require an installation.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Theresa0537

Theresa0537

How can I get to sitebuilder plus?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You would need to have us convert it.  You just want to make sure to publish any changes from desktop before we switch you.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Theresa0537

Theresa0537

Please convert. I do not have any changes on desktop. Thanks, Theresa
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,578 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Theresa0537,

Your account has been converted. Let us know if you have any questions.

Mike
Photo of valery3907

valery3907

• 116 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
my site builder is not functioning properly. How do I delete it and reload so hopefully it will work.

Will not delete pages (three pages all the same) won't let me add text where I want to. wouldn't allow me to upload a new page.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You can follow these instructions
Photo of Larry0948

Larry0948

SiteBuilder keeps freezing when trying to publish a page.

I am trying to publish one page that I have edited and when I try to publish sitebuilder freezes and I have to force close the program.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

The first thing to try is to re-install the program according to the instructions in this topic.  You need to remove the program and then install.

Thanks

Drew