How do I create and bulk import 301 redirects with BigCommerce?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

This topic will be for customers opening a new store with Homestead and moving from another ecommerce platform. Existing customer with a Prostores Storefront will have the 301 redirects automatically done.

1.) Login to your store's Control Panel.

2.) Click on Setup and Tools and then 301 Redirects.

301redirect1.png

3.) On this page, a list of your current 301 redirects will be displayed. To bulk-import a bunch of 301 redirects, click on bulk import.  

bulkimport301s1.png

4.) Upload your CSV file and then click import. 

bulkimports301s2.png

5.) To add a single redirect, click on add redirect. 

3012.png

4.) A new line will appear. Type in the old URL for your store. You may either put in the full address, or just the portion after your domain name, should your domain names be the same.

3013.png

5.) Click Save and your URL will appear in the left column.? Then, choose the type of link you wish to use: manual or dynamic.? A manual link will not take into account any changes you make on your store, and you may need to edit the 301 redirect if you ever make any changes to your URL structure.? A dynamic link will automatically update whenever you make changes to your URL structures.

For a manual link, simply type in the new URL for that product/category/page/etc.? This time, you only need to put in the portion after your domain name.? Click the Save button.

3014.png

7.) For a dynamic link, first change the redirect type.

3015.png

8.) Click on the link that says,  Click here to choose a product, category, brand or webpage. A new page will appear.

dynamiclinks.png

9.) Your dynamic link will now be created. Now, any link to the old URL will automatically be re-routed to your new URL.

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Community Manager

• 257,542 Points 100k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Jill1739

Jill1739

• 1,848 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
None of my pre-done redirects done by homestead are working to my new store... Please some one fix this...
Photo of Jill1739

Jill1739

bump^
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,358 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I just checked with Drew on this and we are still trying to gather some more information. One of us will be in touch with you soon.
Photo of Jill1739

Jill1739

ok great i'm not sure if you guys have a login for my store that works... so let me know if you need a login
Photo of Jill1739

Jill1739

I found on google webmaster tools to get a csv file of all the urls that have crawl errors. I imported them to bigcommerce but i think it messed up my pre-existing redirects... but i'm not sure. so if this file will help with fixing my redirects let me know
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Community Manager

• 257,138 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If the file changed the URL on the Bigcommerce side, then the redirects would indeed stop working and need to be updated. I am not sure how many products you updated and if it would be fasted to look into a bulk update of the 301s or edit them manually. How many redirects can you tell are broken?

Drew
Photo of Jill1739

Jill1739

I am not sure myself any more... when i imported them there are now 117 pages of 100 and it looks like the first page is messed up not sure about the rest here is a screen shot. It would probably be best to bulk update them but i have no idea how to do that.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,368 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
There's no way to say for sure, as it depends on how frequently Google indexes your site, but generally in a few weeks they should drop those pages, unless there's robots.txt that tells Google not to re-index those pages (which is probably not the case). You can leave the 301 redirects indefinitely. Once Google indexes the new site, the 301 redirects are less critical unless there are lots of 3rd party sites that have links to the urls from the old site.

Mike
Photo of Jill1739

Jill1739

Google indexes my site everyday as i am putting in new products everyday and there in google search the same day or in the morning of the next day. I wish all the old site stats and urls would leave my webmaster tools and only show my new sites info. So do the old urls pass authority or is it just based on the home url stores.djstractorparts.com ? The main reason i am concerned with the redirects is yahoo and bing still use my old urls in the search results and doesn't show my new ones... I submitted my new sitemap in bing back on December 25
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

The old urls don't really pass authority, but the do help prevent too much in they way of lost traffic during the time it takes for Google and the other SE's to index the new site. Also, if there are other 3rd party sites that have links to your old url's, it's a way of not losing that traffic. As time passes the 301 redirects become less important as long as you continue to work on backlinks and other SEO strategies as well.
Photo of Jill1739

Jill1739

Is there a way to get my old urls out of google and bing webmaster tools so i can focus on any current issues?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

I doubt that is possible. Google is probably not willing to share, or release that information. However, if google has an of the old URL's indexed and they try to crawl those pages, the pages will produce a "page not found 404 error" code. This tells Google to drop that page from their index. If the URL has an existing 301 redirect, then the visitor will land on your new site with no problem.

As time passes and Google indexes your new site, they will eventually drop those old URL's anyway. The best advice I can give is to just focus on optimizing the new site and not worry too much about old URLs.

Mike
Photo of S

S

• 6,570 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
301 redirect.

Hello -

I recently noticed in a web search (yahoo) that the temporary URL is appearing but not redirecting to the store now that it is live. I have tried a few different 301's but not working out.

The temporary URL was 'partdomain-partpagetitle'.mybigcommerce.com and now just returns 'server not found'.

any suggestions on where/how to correct?

Thank You

Note: This topic was created from a reply on the How do I direct my domain to my new Bigcommerce powered store? topic.
Photo of S

S

I have been doing many redirects - all working (somewhat) fine. I have tried 301 for this issue with many combinations to no avail. My thoughts were it has something more to do with the 'bigcommerce' temp domain - as I have not had any success correcting the issue using a 301 - could be as simple as I am not structuring it correctly, but admittedly have tried quite a number of combinations.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

We'll try and help you out with this can you provide details of the url's etc and what page should be directed where?

Mike
Photo of S

S

I sent a couple snippets in an e-mail - hope that helps understanding the url etc.

Thanks,
Sally
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

I just saw your email. it sounds like the problem is with the url you are trying to use in the 301 redirect.
Photo of S

S

Sorry, Mike - just saw this. Comments regarding this subject have been moved around some and truthfully, I am loosing track of which we are speaking of.

Regarding a 'redirect' for the old BC temporary url - that cannot be redirected through the BC website 301 redirects (because it is not from the old store - unless you know a way of entering it - but I have tried several formats.

I haven't seen it in search results very recently but quite frankly do not have the time to monitor it as frequently right now but taking snippets as I see them. (working on redirects as our Google broken links has escalated to over 9000!)

The other issue where search results are being returned for our sitebuilder site - still is returning the 'associated website' name rather than domain and quite frankly this is really annoying me.

***FYI - Recently I received an update from 'Add This' which is an account I created quite some time ago and the e-mail ALWAYS referenced my domain.....this most recent update referenced the 'associated' name 'pd***s.homestead.com' as well and that really took my by surprise. Truly at a loss on why suddenly this is surfacing and what to do about it.
Photo of Mark3624

Mark3624

• 252 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
How can i locate and remove broken links on my BC website.

after a Google web crawl of my site, which has moved to the big commerce platform, i have 108 broken links i would like to find and delete. All of the links end with .bok Is this from a old sitemap or current code? Can anyone tell me a way to do this?
Photo of Don1714

Don1714

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
how do we redirect (forward) our old Prostores url to the new Bigcommerce url?.

since url is different, customers can't find new site if they use old bookmarks, favorite.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

We automatically did 301 redirects for all the stores that we converted.
Photo of XNena

XNena

• 606 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
false... none of mine have been done i get 404 errors for old site links every day :(

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.